Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:33   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Bilge Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbulmer View Post
Does anyone know of a good quality bildge pump for the bildge and shower boxes that won't quit. I've tried a couple of different kinds and ones with a separate float and ones without but all have problems within a few months with sticking and work off and on. Rule out Rule.
Ed,

I apologize for the thread becoming another pissing contest. I do truly hope you found some useful info here.

The bottom line is that one style pump may not work for all your needs.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:40   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Bildge Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is it just the older boats, new ones don't? I would think any mono with tons of weight hanging off the keel would have a manual back up pump?
I don't know. I guess it would vary by builder? I just don't recall seeing bilge pumps often at the boat shows. But then I wasn't specifically looking.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:39   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Really?

The boat has been in the water for 34 years, I have lived aboard for 22 years, and cruised for 17 years, and the bilge pump system has never had a problem of any sort. What is your metric for "mistake"? I'd say it was a perfect installation.

And don't be too hard on us "amateurs". With an engineering degree and having built my own boat, plus all of the time aboard, I have found precious few "professionals" that are as knowledgeable (but most of them, and a fair few knowledgeable "amateurs", are right here on CF - which is why it is always risky to pontificate here ).

Bedtime...

Greg
***sigh***

I've run into this same problem on different threads... I think your input is worthy Greg...

OP edbulmer,

As mentioned, you're talking about 2 different animals... The sump pump of choice as stated a few times is a diaphragm Whale Gulper... You CAN use this as well to completely empty a bilge, but the rate of pumping makes it useless as a bilge pump for any great volume, and only getting that last bit out of the bilge...

Don't rule out Rule.... Rule out their float... Use something like this:
Aqualarm Smart Bilge Pump Switch with Alarm

I have something similar for both bilge pumps, but a bit more fancy with indicator lights on top... One is hooked to a massive Rule, the second to my secondary pump below...

This is what I use for a secondary to dewater the bilge... Works great....

Flojet 4125 Series Bilge Pump

Good luck!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:44   #34

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
You've been doing it wrong.

You're not alone. It is a common amateur mistake.
I guess your answer must be the only proper answer then.. And you are Wrong... My bilge system has two check valves in the line, one on the presure side of the pump and one in the bilge.. and has been working great for 12 years.. as a liveaboard.. and cruising..

In the bilge I have a check valve and an electronic float. the electronic float stays on for a few seconds after the water is gone.. the pump is a "gulper" diaphram mounted about two feet above the bilge area ... another check valve is on the presure side of the pump ...

My shower pump is also a gulper on a switch in the head, with a check valve in the shower line at the shower, and another at the presure side of the pump. I found the gulper with the one large diaphram wont clogg from hair or anthing else going throu the lines.........

By the way, If you DONT have a check valve in the line, the water in the lines will run right back into the bilge..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:56   #35

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Wow. To avoid the fracas and give useful info to the OP:

I use exactly the same pump for the shower sump and the lowest "catch the drips and AC condensate" pumps. That way I only carry one spare that meets both needs. It is very similar to the Whale Gulper, but made by Jabsco.

I also have two high capacity centrifugal pumps mounted about 6 inches higher in the bilge to dewater in case the lower pump cannot keep up.

Cheers and peace.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:13   #36

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
...With an engineering degree and having built my own boat, plus all of the time aboard, I have found precious few "professionals" that are as knowledgeable...
This is another problem sometimes found among amateurs with a degree. Many think they must have absorbed some special knowledge which had never even been addressed by their instructors.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27   #37

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

OK, back to basics:

Belief: It's wrong, a mistake, doesn't work!!!

Logic:

If 1. Diaphragm pumps are reliable.
and 2. Diaphragm pumps include 2 check valves.
Therefore
3. Check valves are reliable.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53   #38

Re: bildge pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Think Whale diaphragm pumps.
For the showeryep a pump with a manual switch or float switch is great. Put the pump wherever you want (adjacent hanging locker?) and have a small strainer prior to the pump.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 13:29   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to add another thought about dewatering... it is possible to have additional dewatering pumps, beyond your normal bilge system, in event of some rather catastrophic event.

On one boat I have a high capacity Johnson with some rolled up discharge hose and longish cord with alligator clamps.

On the big boat I have a 1/2hp SS submersible trash pump to run off either the inverter or generator. Also with rolled up discharge hose.

They are stored in a locker and ready to deploy. I could also pass them to another boater in trouble.

We had a boat sink at our dock when launched because the impeller cover was off and the sea cock open, batteries apparently flat or off. They saw it and called the fire dept, but their portable pump would not fit down the companionway. Had I been there I could have saved the boat.
Old 06-07-2015, 16:57   #40

Boat: Goderich 35
Smile Re: Bilge Pump

I have just removed (for the second time) a check valve from the bilge line. First one was a spring loaded check valve and it failed shut and prevented the bilge pump from doing its job. That was last year. So I decided to put in a swing gate check valve this year. It failed as well last week and at 3 in the morning I awoke to the sound the bilge pump whining away but unable to clear the bilge.
Never again. The bilge pump line is clear and no check valve shall ever get put in here!
DeanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 19:18   #41

I installed a non-return valve in my shower bilge because the diaphragm pump was mounted 1/2 a metre above the bilge and with over a metre of 25mm hose connecting it. Without the valve, the bilge would refill. I used a spring loaded valve bought from an irrigation parts supplier and with the spring loosened off to almost zero.
The first year the valve failed because it was jammed full of hair and towel fluff. I put a small jabsco filter with a stainless mesh filter in before the NR valve and since then, the system has worked perfectly. I have to clean the filter every week; amazing what your body and clothing shed.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump