Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2020, 10:04   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Bilge Pump Advice needed

I've come to like the Whale Supersub pumps for maintenance pumps. The built in sensor ones seem to be reliable and the sensors don't seem too sensitive to being perfectly clean or anything.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 17:28   #32

Boat: Steel Swain 36 Cutter

I think if the pumps worked as advertised it wouldn't be such a problem. Unfortunately it is a common problem. Some of these are suggestions made by others so apologies if I am repeating what others have said.

1. Move the bilge switch higher.
2. Glue a small weight on to the bilge switch float. You can experiment but I used a large coin on a blob of epoxy and it helped. The coin weighs the float down just enough that the water will have to get higher to make it turn on. This basically does the same as 1 above.
3. Use a smaller diameter hose so there is less water flowing back when the pump switches off. This will restrict flow somewhat but in my opinion, electric bilge pumps aren't there to stop you from sinking...they are there for convenience and the odd drip. I guess you could have a second larger pump higher if you aren't happy with this arrangement.
4. You can try a check valve but I found they often foul and then leak water back. It won't take much dirt to make this happen.
5. Try another smaller bilge pump with a smaller hose to get the last bit of water. See 3 above.
6. Install some kind of time delay circuit. Some pumps have them built in but I made one up myself with a cheap timer board and relay out of China. The pump runs for about 20 or 30 seconds more than it really needs which gets enough water out to stop nuisance cycling.
opusnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 02:08   #33

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've come to like the Whale Supersub pumps for maintenance pumps. The built in sensor ones seem to be reliable and the sensors don't seem too sensitive to being perfectly clean or anything.
Unluckily, I found that oily films inactivate the sensor! See my thread at https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...32#post3243332
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 12:39   #34

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I'm wrestling with this too.

My first approach was one of those $20 amazon diaphragm pumps, like shown in that link earlier. They choke on ANY dirt, and I mean ANY. I try and keep my bilge clean, but I think the little organic that grows is causing problems.

The shower type diaphragm pumps seem to be massive overkill. I'm trying to remove a couple gallons, max. I really want to be using small hose (5/16"?) with low flow rates. I'm discharging to my shower sump (it uses a centrifugal pump, so I can't dual-purpose that), so have to be careful not to overwhelm that.

I would love to find a small, inexpensive, low flow version of the Gulper and their type.

I'm currently considering some very small submersible centrifugal pumps. They are listed on Amazon as "solar pumps" and such. Flow rates a couple GPM, hose sizes easy to downsize to 3/8 or smaller (to reduce back flow). I think I could thread the input end into a piece of Starboard or Aluminum with some nubs on the bottom to serve as a mount/strainer, and it might do well. As a centrifugal pump, it can't prime, but once it is wet it should pump until the suction breaks the surface --well under 1/4 inch as I envision it.

For those that never get water in their bilge, I'm intrigued. Every time it rains, my mast deposits enough to trigger my main bilge pump.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 13:18   #35

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I'm wrestling with this too.

My first approach was one of those $20 amazon diaphragm pumps, like shown in that link earlier. They choke on ANY dirt, and I mean ANY. I try and keep my bilge clean, but I think the little organic that grows is causing problems.

The shower type diaphragm pumps seem to be massive overkill. I'm trying to remove a couple gallons, max. I really want to be using small hose (5/16"?) with low flow rates. I'm discharging to my shower sump (it uses a centrifugal pump, so I can't dual-purpose that), so have to be careful not to overwhelm that.

I would love to find a small, inexpensive, low flow version of the Gulper and their type.

I'm currently considering some very small submersible centrifugal pumps. They are listed on Amazon as "solar pumps" and such. Flow rates a couple GPM, hose sizes easy to downsize to 3/8 or smaller (to reduce back flow). I think I could thread the input end into a piece of Starboard or Aluminum with some nubs on the bottom to serve as a mount/strainer, and it might do well. As a centrifugal pump, it can't prime, but once it is wet it should pump until the suction breaks the surface --well under 1/4 inch as I envision it.

For those that never get water in their bilge, I'm intrigued. Every time it rains, my mast deposits enough to trigger my main bilge pump.
Few comments here:
The small submersible centrifugal pumps, such as those used for solar and heating need at least few inches of water above the impeller in order to generate pressure and push any water. Once the water level drops below the pump inlet, you lose pressure and all the water pumped still in the hose will return back, so you will stay with water in the bilge ~ at least 1-2".
And if the diaphragm pump you used chocked, such pump will get there much faster as it it is designed for clean water only.

Was looking for a long time for a good solution with low water level discharge and the best way is vacuuming to the shop-vac and if more water need to be discharged, I use a Jabsco rubber impeller pump - but it is an expensive solution for emergencies only.

As for the mast water deposits to the bilge - a problem I couldn't solve on the Farr 40 with the keel stepped mast - no matter what. Fortunately enough, on my cruising boat Contest 43, like most of the boats in her class (HR, Najad etc.) the mast is deck stepped and the bilges are 100% dry - and if not, I know there is a problem to take care of: fresh water leak or hatch left open...
Old 29-09-2020, 13:55   #36

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

I had the same problem on my boat. I purchased a timer module from an Alarm Supply house and it turns on every six hours for 5 minutes. It is adjustable to your needs but the pump only runs when the timer allows it which is more than enough time for it to totally dry the bilge and yet not cycle over and over. Good Luck
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 14:43   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman4009 View Post
I had the same problem on my boat. I purchased a timer module from an Alarm Supply house and it turns on every six hours for 5 minutes. It is adjustable to your needs but the pump only runs when the timer allows it which is more than enough time for it to totally dry the bilge and yet not cycle over and over. Good Luck
That is a good idea. I hope you have another pump in the event of a serious leak.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 16:14   #38

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
The bilge committee aside, moving the switch doesn’t help. Pump runs because of residual water/the signal is higher electrical resistance based on pump trying to remove residual water.
The merits of a dry bilge are legion. It’s aspirational😁

Its a boat, right? It will be humid down below unless you are in a dry climate even if you sponge out the last drop of water in the bilge.

Cheap solution, we have this on our boat: If your shower sump pump is diaphram type it should already have a filter in front of it, but if not, add one. Put in a Y valve in front of the filter to allow pump to suck from bottom of bilge or shower sump as selected. Use 1/2" tubing for this, with the lower end of tubing stuck down on the bottom of the bilge with minimum clearance. Run it manually when you feel the urge. You'll not be able to remove ALL the water, only a shop vac could do that.

Your centrifugal pumps should be able to keep water level in bilge below three or four inches, unless your bilge is very small and the runback from the hose re-fills it more than that. It may take some experimentation to get the best position for the float switch.
Old 29-09-2020, 16:42   #39

Boat: Cal 33-2

I have a Johnson Ultima switch. All electronic (no float) and has two sensors, pump start and pump off. The pump start is an inch or so above the pump off. So pump turns on when water level hits the upper sensor and pump runs until the level drops to the lower sensor. No cycling.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:02   #40

Try a Whale Supersub https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10007&Product_ID=10002&Fr iendlyID=Supersub-Smart-Low-Profile-Automatic-Bilge-Pumps
philm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:08   #41

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pro...ic-Bilge-Pumps
philm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:40   #42
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

For an easy solution Seaflo now has their own low-cost version of the drybilge vacuum-line system with all the parts needed in a ready to install kit for only $150. I've seen other companies sell similar dry bilge systems at boat shows that cost hundreds of dollars.

One could probably buy all the parts separately and put it together yourself for a little less than the $150 this costs, but it is all neatly packaged as a complete system and even comes with a nice bilge pump control panel complete with an on-off-auto rocker switch and pushbutton breaker as well as a tiny strainer to keep crud out of the pump. The vacuum hose connections are all easy push-lock connectors.

Set the timer to run on auto whenever for as long as you need and as often as you want. It only sucks about a quart a minute so it is a bit slow but it will get down to the last teaspoon of water in the bilge if you can place the little sponge pickup in the exact low spot. Nothing runs back down the tiny hose because it's sucking air bubbles once it gets down to the last few drops.

I ran the 1/2" output hose to dump out into the cockpit and installed the control box in my large engine room. The tiny vacuum line pickup hose is easy to run and can be around 30' long so you can mount the box anywhere on the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V4G41K4..._neVDFb6CHSCN8
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump