Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 13:31   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: bilge pump emptying into the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
I jumped in the river and got some oysters out of the hole when I saw alligator eyes a few feet away. Just as quickly, I jumped in the dinghy and got the rest reaching over the dink. Didn't do the job.

more "herbs"
Old 29-08-2014, 18:23   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
I was rewiring my boat after smoking a little herb and now whenever I run my bilge pump, the bilge water empties into the cockpit while, at the same time, pushing some of the bilge water out of the boat like it should.

<snip>
Suggestions?
Don't smoke weed while doing boat maintenance that could sink your boat?

It would seem to me that if the idea of a bilge pump is to pump water out of the boat I would not want the discharge routed to the cockpit. But that's just me...

I think a better description of the plumbing is needed. I don't understand what is plumbed to what and where...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 19:22   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I think a better description of the plumbing is needed. I don't understand what is plumbed to what and where...
Dan, I feel that you likely understand better than the OP!

This one may be hopeless unless he gets straight long enough to post something intelligible.

Jim
Old 30-08-2014, 09:41   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dan, I feel that you likely understand better than the OP!

This one may be hopeless unless he gets straight long enough to post something intelligible.

Jim
Yes Jim.. Agreed... I didn't get much out of this post but raised eyebrows...

I jumped in the river and got some oysters out of the hole when I saw alligator eyes a few feet away. Just as quickly, I jumped in the dinghy and got the rest reaching over the dink. Didn't do the job. Got a high pressure water hose and rammed it into the drain on full blast while turning the hose. That did the job. Still, I think one of my bilge pumps might be wired backwards, so I'm going to make sure it's not sucking water into the boat before go eat some chips and a sandwich.

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 09:55   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
can you elaborate a bit? this would be great for me while single handing. -steve
Steve sure. I fitted one of these Whale Super Sub pumps under the engine as that is the most likely spot for a leak. The pump is really shallow and the exit pipe can be turned to run horizontally. The space also includes the Volvo seal. The pipe work runs through the cockpit locker and exits just under the seat lip so quite evident if it was pumping. The pump is the auto version. Now the only problem is I have dry dusty bilges so never actually needed it.

The cockpit has two medium sized drains at the rear which are above the water level and permanently open.

The main bilge pumps both electric and manual dump over the side as you would expect, so the Super sub is an additional pump.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supersub_smart_650.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	87414  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 10:53   #21

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Steve sure. I fitted one of these Whale Super Sub pumps under the engine as that is the most likely spot for a leak. The pump is really shallow and the exit pipe can be turned to run horizontally. The space also includes the Volvo seal. The pipe work runs through the cockpit locker and exits just under the seat lip so quite evident if it was pumping. The pump is the auto version. Now the only problem is I have dry dusty bilges so never actually needed it.

The cockpit has two medium sized drains at the rear which are above the water level and permanently open.

The main bilge pumps both electric and manual dump over the side as you would expect, so the Super sub is an additional pump.

Pete
Awesome looking pump. A Scotch Bright Pad, over the intake would make it, "Bullet proof."
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:46   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Bilge Pump Emptying into the Cockpit

Acapulco Gold or Panama Red. Is this only a problem when you run out the GOOD "****" ?
If it is, you know the answer..
Old 30-08-2014, 16:21   #23

Explain to me again, the virtues of through hulls below the waterline. :what:
Old 30-08-2014, 19:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Explain to me again, the virtues of through hulls below the waterline. :what:
Ummm, let's see... how about cooling water">engine cooling water inlet? How about toilet flushing inlet? Refrigeration water cooling inlet?

These items may not have virtues (your word) but it is hard to see how an above the waterline through hull would suffice. Is that the explanation you were seeking?

Jim
Old 30-08-2014, 22:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ummm, let's see... how about engine cooling water inlet? How about toilet flushing inlet? Refrigeration water cooling inlet?

These items may not have virtues (your word) but it is hard to see how an above the waterline through hull would suffice. Is that the explanation you were seeking?

Jim
All of those make since, and all suffer the same short falls. Debris and seed oysters which attach and grow, blocking those through hulls. What is your experience with, "Pickling," those systems, from time to time to prevent blockage? I've seen a Youtube video on the process/procedure. More than a little concerned about that, with the potable water maker supply plumbing. Again, new to sailing, looking for knowledge.
Old 30-08-2014, 22:50   #26
cruiser

You seem to be reaping the rewards for having turned your brain into sh&t by smoking a copious amount of weed. Good luck... You'll need it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 00:07   #27

Quote:
All of those make since, and all suffer the same short falls. Debris and seed oysters which attach and grow, blocking those through hulls. What is your experience with, "Pickling," those systems, from time to time to prevent blockage? I've seen a Youtube video on the process/procedure. More than a little concerned about that, with the potable water maker supply plumbing. Again, new to sailing, looking for knowledge.

Folks do go on about these problems. My experience over the 40 years of having boats in salt water full time is... I've never had growth in those places. We routinely put anti fouling paint up into the fittings when we do the bottom, and in our usage this has worked ok. A caveat: we keep our bottom pretty clean, and renew the a/f annually, rather than trying to eek out extra months. Our hull is usually free from much growth when we slip her for painting, unlike some of the marine gardens that one sees. That sort of boat would very likely have blocked intakes!

One can and does occasionally suck up stuff into the active through hulls, things like weed, plastic bags, jelly and regular fish. This can be a problem, but one deals with it. I'm not sure of the health issues of having anti fouling in the intake for a desalinator. I suspect that some will be quite worried about that, but I suspect that it is a non-issue. YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-08-2014, 07:16   #28

Jim,
Thanks for the information on hull and through hull maintenance. Have you ever had to dismantle a system to clear areas within the system, i.e.; bends, traps. Do they make clean outs into those areas for maintenance?
I don't mind the maintenance just prefer the KISS method.
Old 31-08-2014, 14:38   #29

Quote:
Jim,
Thanks for the information on hull and through hull maintenance. Have you ever had to dismantle a system to clear areas within the system, i.e.; bends, traps. Do they make clean outs into those areas for maintenance?
I don't mind the maintenance just prefer the KISS method.
Yes, I have had to remove small fish and weed from the valves in marine heads on occasion, and pull off a hose and blow out an engine cooling line which was plugged with a plastic bag. And in the early days, before I learned about pumping adequately, head hoses would become occluded with calcium deposits which lead to blockage with "other deposits". Not a nice job, that!

Landlubber type clean outs are not used in marine applications in my experience.

As I said, one just learns to deal with these problems... part of being a yottie!

Jim
Old 31-08-2014, 15:12   #30

Thanks again, Jim. I'll be keeping a close eye on system operations. Prevention is the order of the day.!

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, cockpit