Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2022, 01:12   #1

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46
Bilge pump question

Just on Bilge Pumps, our 43ft Cutter has a deep bilge and the current Bilge Pump, a Rule 1200gph seems dodgy and I may need to replace it.
As the Bilge is tight and cannot get access to mount anything, I can only just lower the pump down by the hose and hope it gets to the deepest part. What concerns me is the pump could be laying on its side. Can these pumps operate correctly when they are in this position..?
The current pump once activated, won't switch off until I pull the pump out and once the water drains out of it it stops. If the float switch is suspect I will just replace the pump but if they all won't work correctly if its on its side, then a new one may not resolve the problem.
Also, what is the opinion on a good quality pump....I heard Sahara are built quite well.
All comments welcome.
conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 01:23   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Bilge pump question

My deep keel boat had a low volume diaphragm pump mounted under the quarterberth with a pipe leading to the bottom of the keel. I added a centrifugal pump in the keel part way down (on the encapsulated lead). That was still >3' down from the sole with limited access, so I mounted the pump on a plastic plate with a rod extending up to where I could reach it. I can grab the rod to lift the pump out for cleaning or maintenance and lowering it mounted on the sheet does a good job of keeping the pump the right side up.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 01:27   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Put it in a bucket of water side ways and see what happens. I assume you leave the strainer attached. Alternative is to install a Whale gulper type pump where motor is not submerged and just sucks it up the hose. For automatic operating a water sensor (not a float switch) can be installed as low as you want.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 01:36   #4

Thought of something similar but pretty tight access. I it plays up when on its side, might be a way out.
Old 23-04-2022, 01:38   #5

Yep, going to do that but as it's a submersible pump, you would think it can run at any angle.....much easier being able to drop the unit into the bilge and done.
Old 23-04-2022, 02:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Bilge Pump Systems: Design & Installation” ~ by Steve D’Antonio [2017]
https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/b...-installation/

“High-capacity Electric Bilge Pumps” ~ Practical Sailor, 2010
[quote]”It’s always a good idea to have more than one electric bilge pump installed. We [PS] recommend a smaller primary pump (1,000-1,500 GPH) to handle day-to-day bilge water [I recommend an even smaller diaphragm pump*] and installing a larger (2,000 GPH) backup pump just above the primary...
... The top performer in our real-world bilge simulation was the Shurflo Model 358-010-00, the Best Choice.
The Attwood 1700 performed well for the money and is our Budget Buy..."[/quote
https://s30384.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...0_bigbilge.pdf

* The diaphragm pump can be mounted above [& out of] the bilge, with only the pickup hose in the bilge. They are self priming, and rated for suction head.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump