Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 20:24   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Bilge pump rebuild / spares

The primary bilge pump on my boat is the Rule 2000. It is a good pump and never had any issues with it. However I want to be prepared just in case and bring spares with me on a trip. Is there a rebuild kit? Any recommendations on what parts to bring? What is the part that usually fails on these things?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 20:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bilge pump rebuild / spares

As far as i know there's nothing you can repair or replace on the pump itself. If it's the automatic version then maybe a spare switch. The only other part I know you can buy is a new strainer for the bottom.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 18:53   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you planning for emergencies, get some of this stuff. It plugs holes, now!
Amazon or Ebay should have it.
As far as your pump, I think your pump and many that look just like it are all made in the same Chinese factory. The lifespan and reliability isn't near what we had 20 years ago. I have a wood boat that doesn't leak with 6 bilge areas. Most water comes from wash downs. Yet these new, all look alike pumps are lucky to last more than a couple years. Most of my bilge is bone dry and the pumps might be manually run once a year. Some never pumped water before failing.
They are cheap enough. Carry a spare. I went to more expensive non-Chinese pumps.
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 19:59   #4

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Hi Lepke, what is a non-Chinese bilge pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 21:52   #5

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

☕️

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 02:27   #6

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Many years ago I bought a wood commercial fishing boat. It came with a Lovett bilge pump. The previous owner said it was about 20 years old and maybe should be replaced. Years later I sold the boat with the same Lovett pump still working. That pump did some work, too. I fished the North Pacific in some rough weather. Seams would open. I used ice to preserve the catch and the pump removed the water from ice melting. Several tons a week.
I went back to Lovett and haven't had a failure since. About $150 online.

What burned me about Rule and other "American" made pumps from my youth, is I leave my pumps off. I check my bilges often so I know what's going with the hull. Mainly I use the engine room pump when I clean the engines. The rest of the time they're off. No power, sitting in a dry bilge. When I bought the boat I put in new pumps with the built in sensor (no float). All failed within 18 months. Except in the stern, my bilges are deep. Laying on the floor plates I can't reach the bottom of the bilge, so I have to crawl in the bilge to make pump changes. And I'm a fat, old guy. I don't care if the dealer will give me a new pump. I don't want to crawl around in the bilge. When I was young, I don't recall ever having to replace any brand pump that was bought new.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 04:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
Lovett (LV-900/1200) pumps are repairable ➥ http://www.depcopump.com/catalogs/ol...alog110/32.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, rebuild