Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 23:47   #1

Question Black water tank questions

Hey guys

I was wondering if you guys may be able to help me out a bit, the company I work at would like to manufacture some black water holding tanks, but don't know too much about them.

From a bit of reading, most of it here, I did learn to stay away from metal tanks, as urine and other waste materials can corrode and damage the tank, the tanks need good ventilation for the good germs to do their jobs, and to try use PVC pipes and fitting for less smell leakage.

Can anyone possible give more information into required fittings, laminate thickness, resins types,glass weight, or just a source for this info, I always tend to be sent back to the west system site for information on the epoxy but it is not totally helpful.

Does anyone also know how epoxy reacts with waste, and how it can be made more durable.
also how does polyester resin work for a BWT?

Sorry for the essay guys but I have a lot of questions and answers will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks and best regards to all
Ogikulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 00:40   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Black water tank questions

If you goto to some of the marine holding tank manufactures like Ronco you will see they make their tanks from high density polyethylene, which is the best IMO.

Some people building their tanks using epoxy, but polyester would be a no no since it absorbs moisture.

PVC is good for transfering waste but not good for holding. It absorbs the smell.

If you goto the forum google search drop down and type in holding tanks you'll find a whole sheit load if info on the subject.

Tags
water