Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:39   #1

Boat: Oyster 39
Blue Baby Blake backing up badly

Good morning,
Figured I'd gain everyone's attention with the tongue twister! I have a baby blake on board and nearly every time I pump my toilet dry...it slowly fills back up with foul effluent. I hear the gurgling sound of it discharging through the throughhull but it seems to still be waste water returning in the bowl (at least that's what the asparagus tells me ). My question is, there must be a non return valve in the system? Is that the culprit? Are they easy to replace....I recognize nothing in this department is "easy" / pleasant..? Can you even get spares for them. Does anyone have a "trouble shooting" schematic or parts manifest handy?
Lastly is it just something I should switch out? I have 2 of them on board and from what i gather they are kind of the throne of thrones!
Thanks in advance!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Blue Baby Blake backing up badly

http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/...2223449895.pdf
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18   #3

Boat: Oyster 39
That link seems to 404?
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:26   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6 View Post
That link seems to 404?
I googled: baby blake toilet owners manual

top link, works from google for me.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 20:01   #5

Throne of thrones cost UK 4000 pounds. If you have a vented loop on the outflow, the black water could be running back to the pan via gravity. However the blackwater pump at the pan is a cylinder with a piston that has a seal that can't allow backflow, so blackwater must leak back past the seal. Full spares kits are available.
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 18:31   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6 View Post
Good morning,
Figured I'd gain everyone's attention with the tongue twister! I have a baby blake on board and nearly every time I pump my toilet dry...it slowly fills back up with foul effluent. I hear the gurgling sound of it discharging through the throughhull but it seems to still be waste water returning in the bowl (at least that's what the asparagus tells me ). My question is, there must be a non return valve in the system? Is that the culprit? Are they easy to replace....I recognize nothing in this department is "easy" / pleasant..? Can you even get spares for them. Does anyone have a "trouble shooting" schematic or parts manifest handy?
Lastly is it just something I should switch out? I have 2 of them on board and from what i gather they are kind of the throne of thrones!
Thanks in advance!

Had the same issue myself recently, turned out to be a very soiled and degraded joker valve. Clean the messy pipework and fit new joker!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 18:37   #7

Boat: CORBIN 39

there is no joker valve in the baby blake, remove the shift lever and the unscrew the flange on top and out comes the whole system, spares are available.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 01:48   #8

We removed all of the toilet system. Blackwater tank vent was blocked, now clean. All effluent goes to the black tank and pumped out at marina or pumped overboard. The blackwater tank had sat for some time near full, and the contents had co-agulated to an unpumpable sludge. The boatyard cleaned and flushed the tank and now we will flush and pump at the end of each outing. You could smell the boat 100 mtr down wind. The out pump had some crap (literally) in the mechanism which has been cleared, now working well. The in flush pump pressure is controlled to a large extent by seal at the top of the pump. With little pressure, the pump works easily but leaks. Tighten up and it does not leak but pressure is too hard. We are replacing the seals. While we were at it, we replaced all hoses and found the anti syphon valve had a crack. Now replaced, we have no discernable smell.

The mechanism in the out pump is so basic it almost can't go wrong if not jammed. We have gone to a less bulky toilet paper, and pump dry when only pee is in the tank. We have solved our entire system at great pain and expense, but it was worth it.
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 01:11   #9

Boat: Catalina 42

Toilet paper has no right to enter marine toilets....think about it!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote