Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2009, 08:16   #16
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Back to the automotive battery charger, the scout leader denied any possibility that his "ship" was causing the problem, but his shore power lines mysteriously began disappearing from that moment forward, regardless of how often he replaced them. Couldn't seem to last the night. Problem solved.
What a goof. Good "solution".
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 09:00   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
All I can tell you is that on a previous boat where I was having electrolysis problems that we finally tracked down to a nearby Sea Scout vessel, the monel basket in my bronze Groco strainer was the first indication of trouble. The strainer was fairly close to the thru-hull, but had no electrical connection to it and was not part of the boat's bonding system. A great deal of water circulated through it since it was attached to the refrigeration system.

Turns out the Sea Scouts had hooked up an automotive-type battery charger from a car parts store when their inverter/charger went south. Saved themselves a bit of cash and cost everyone else on the dock a fortune. Nearby boats would burn through their shaft zincs in about 6 weeks. The Bayliner next to the scout ship lost both trim tabs. But I was surprised that the monel didn't stand up to the situation, especially given how expensive those filters are.
I am really amazed that the screen was affected. When there is no flow from the pump, air is in the line I would think preventing an electrical path but hey...stranger things have happened. I witnessed a similar story as your Sea Scouts. The harbor maintenance crew in Santa Cruz, Ca. traced down a "hot spot" in the harbor after a torrid of complaints from slip holders. It was a "gentleman" with an antique craftsman auto charger. He continued to procrastinate on doing anything. Mysteriously, his "homemade" power cord was ending up severed on occasion. Still, he did nothing. Rumor has it that some vandal's broke into his boat and realizing the value of an antique charger, made off with it. Please don't ask me to verify this story
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 11:33   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
How much can you get on eBay for an antique charger, Martin?
regards,
Old 23-10-2009, 11:46   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
How much can you get on eBay for an antique charger, Martin?
regards,
Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote