Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 12:08   #16

Boat: Bavaria 35 Exclusive
Re: Bronze valves and fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Ok, lets back up a bit.

The alloy you have CC491K is also called 'Gunmetal' Bronze. it is the traditional alloy used to make... cannons. Its composition is 85% copper, 5% zinc, 5% lead, and 5% tin. As an alloy it is highly resistant to de-zincification dress corrosion and pitting, and very hard wearing. This is already a high quality part. Unless you are seeing active corrosion somewhere I doubt you need to replace it.

The dangerous metals are the high zinc series (10% zinc or more).

If you want to replace what you have, then I am a fan of Grocco but there are other good manufacturers.

The one caveat is that I absolutely would not use anything with lead if it could possibly supply drinking water.
Stumble
Thanks for the comment.
It means the items i have found from the UK, should be suitable.
However i have also seen that Westmarine has a fairly large inventory of Groco bronze valves and fittings readily available.
It may be the last option if i am unable to source them at a closer location.
Kinpa_1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 14:20   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen the following brands claiming bronze:

Groco
Apollo
Vetus
Perko
Blake-Lavac

I bet there are more. I can't say which of them are manufacturers, I guess Vetus is not.

Remember if you change, you may want to opt to change the whole kit at once - the thru-hull, the valve, the nipple. Otherwise you can get metals mismatch that could be worse than having less noble metals but matched within one kit.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 00:36   #18

fully agreed. that is what I will do.

Sent from my GT-I8200 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-05-2015, 03:57   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you'd like to explore ordering the parts you need from the U.S. I'll be glad to provide a quote on Groco products.
Old 31-05-2015, 21:08   #20

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

If you are going to import from US, be aware that most will be NPT thread (tapered) whereas UK will be BSP (non tapered). While you can screw the different types together, the seal is not as secure and is not recommended.

So you should replace all fittings in an assembly with the same type. Consider ease of getting replacements near your usual location.

As far as the life of fittings in your Beneteau are concerned, they are probably the same as in my 1999 Lagoon. Before I bought the boat, 2 valves had been replaced, and I have replaced 2 due to failure (handle fails to operate valve).

Replacement of the rest is scheduled for this year.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
If you are going to import from US, be aware that most will be NPT thread (tapered) whereas UK will be BSP (non tapered). While you can screw the different types together, the seal is not as secure and is not recommended.

So you should replace all fittings in an assembly with the same type. Consider ease of getting replacements near your usual location.

As far as the life of fittings in your Beneteau are concerned, they are probably the same as in my 1999 Lagoon. Before I bought the boat, 2 valves had been replaced, and I have replaced 2 due to failure (handle fails to operate valve).

Replacement of the rest is scheduled for this year.

That is correct, in fact i am looking for the Groco valves and fittings which are have become recently available with BSPP thread.

Incidentally the fittings and valves you have replaced on your Lagoon, where they bronze or brass?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-06-2015, 11:13   #22
cruiser

Can I make a suggestion which will make things much easier for you? I went through the same fire drill last season whilst in Spain. Here's what I ended up doing after much thought, research and speaking to other Oyster owners and factory people.

I purchased the skin fittings (through hull fittings) from West Marine under the name Apollo which are 85-5-5-5 Naval bronze, made in America, instead of the other crap (I don't mean the Italian stuff which is not crap). I spoke directly to the Apollo company metallurgist before making the decision in order to verify the composition. Then I used the Forespar Marelon ball valves, elbows and connections so that I'd never have to worry about corrosion again, because... plastic doesn't corrode. I also purchased the Forespar valves and fittings at West Marine. They were easy to install, except for the fact I had an idiot "helping me" which made if more difficult than if I'd done it alone.

Buying everything at one place, I was able to check to make sure all the threads matched up.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:42   #23

That is a really interesting solution.
As a matter of fact i would never use a thru-hull in any kind of "plastic".
But using a good bronze fitting and the rest in Marelon is something i have never considered.
Do you have received good comments about the service life of marelon valves??

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-06-2015, 11:49   #24
cruiser

Once a year during haul out, or it can be done underwater, it's a good idea to lubricate the valves with Teflon grease. Otherwise, there really isn't anything that can go wrong... they're made of some sort of fiber infused plastic.. The fittings certainly can't corrode.

Our boat came with the Marilon to DZR brass fittings. Oyster used the DZR junk for three years, and unfortunately for us... our boat was one of them. Oyster switched back to Naval bronze many years ago... For a good reason.

The Marilon valves and fittings showed no wear and could have been used again, even though I chose to replace them. The DZR brass.... Is total and complete crap. Get it out of your boat ASAP.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 19:49   #25

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinpa_1951 View Post
Incidentally the fittings and valves you have replaced on your Lagoon, where they bronze or brass?
Now that I look at my photos more closely, it seems there are at least 2 different types of valve, so I am not sure what is original ..... I think maybe more were replaced than I thought. Sorry I don't know if they are brass or bronze. But I can't imagine brass would have lasted 15 years.