Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 11:07   #1

Boat: Malö 116 39'
Building a Pump for a Watermaker

In this forum I have read a lot of threads about making your one watermaker. I have not any doubt they don’t work, but I have not seen any system to take aware the energy that is put in the system with the high-pressure water. Here I have two figures that show a system of how to get a high flow of water trough a camber of high-pressure. There are (in this stage) exactly the same areas on both sides of the piston. How I get the high-pressure, how I shall get the piston to move, what type of valves it should be (they shall stand high pressure) and how I shall operate them are questions I have ides about and will discuss later. But first I want to here your opinion about this construction.

The left figure shows when the piston is moving to the left. Then non-return valve 2 is open and let the water from the cylinder flows into the high-pressure camber. Non-return valve 1 is closed. On the other side of the piston, valve 3 is open and let water from the high-pressure camber flows into the cylinder. Valve 4 is closed. In this situation there is the same high pressure on both sides of the piston, therefore the force to move the piston is low.

When the move of the piston goes from left to right, first valve 3 most close, and then the valve 4 shall open. When valve 4 opens, it lets water with high pressure come out in the free, but on the other side of the piston there is only water and that will not decompress. The piston will move a little to the right so the non-return valve 2 will close, and thereby wee have the same low pressure on both sides of the piston.

The right figure shows when the piston is moving to the right. Then the non-return valve 1 is open and there flows new water in to the cylinder. Non-return valve 2 is closed. On the other side of the piston valve 4 is open and let the water from the cylinder flows out of the system. Valve 3 is closed. In this situation there is the same low pressure on both sides of the piston, therefore the force to move the piston is low.

When the move of the piston goes from right to left, first valve 4 most close, and then the valve 3 shall open. When valve 3 opens, it lets water with high pressure come in to the cylinder, but on the other side of the piston there is only water and that will not compress. The piston will move a little to the left so the non-return valve 1 will close, and thereby wee have the same high pressure on both sides of the piston.

This way I get a high flow of water through the high-pressure camber without use a lot of energy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watermaker pump.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	30740  
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 11:36   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I think you'll spectra have a patient On the pump you describe.

There are a number of " energy recovery" systems for watermakers, danfoss do a few. They are expensive though. See http://www.isave.danfoss.com/index.asp

Dave
Old 22-08-2011, 11:51   #3

Re: Building a Pump to a Watermaker

Long ago I looked into manual water makers, might google that and crank by hand. Hope that works out for ya.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker