Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 21:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Calcium Carbonate (limestone) in looping toilet outflow

My electric seawater flush toilet outflow has blocked with rock again because crew do not flush it properly. Urine + Seawater = rock.

Diluted hydrochloric acid converts it to CO2 nicely (vinegar is useless).

However, the boat has a long exit pipe that loops high above the toilet and then down to the through hull fitting under the waterline. The top of the toilet is only a foot above the waterline. I think this is to prevent back flow. There is no siphon break, but I think flushing would introduce some air into it once the bowl is empty.

Trouble is that the acid creates CO2 which pushes the acid out of the boat without letting it do its job on the downward part of the pipe. I put an eel though it from the outside, but did not fully clear it.

There is a one way rubber valve on the TMC toilet, good condition but asking a lot for a permanent seal.

I am considering shortening the out pipe, just go straight out and forget the loop.

Thoughts?
aberglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Calcium Carbonate (limestone) in looping toilet outflow

Without the loop the discharge hose will reverse the flow and the heads will spill out the top all over the compartment and eventually sink the boat if you are not on board. So the loop is essential.

Stop messing about with alchemy and just replace the hose.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:12   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Calcium Carbonate (limestone) in looping toilet outflow

Aberglas we easily got six years out of our last toilet hoses before I decided to replace them. The inside of them was clean as and I can only attribute that to using toilet duck at least once a week. I give the bowl a liberal dose and flush the toilet until the bowl is foamy. It seems to work wonders on the plastic holding tank as well. I expected it be stinky when I replaced the hoses. But the odor was fine.
You can also have a timer on your flush button so once touched the toilet keeps flushing for a minute or two. Lots of charter boats have that.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, oil, toilet