Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 10:47   #1

Boat: Prout Quest 33CS, 33ft, "Cat-a-tonic"
Calor 4.5kg alternative

Calor (UK) has decided to discontinue the ubiquitous exchangeable 4.5 Kg Butane bottles, used by thousands of boats and caravans. Like me you probably have a gas locker designed specifically to take one or two of these small, lightweight bottles.

What are folks planning to do about alternative suppliers, bottles, and lockers?
Cat-a-tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 11:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Calor 4.5kg alternative

So this is pretty much a UK problem were the main supplier for decades with unique size of cylinders has suddenly decided to stop filling the 4.5kg butane and 3.9kg propane cylinders throwing thousands of caravan, RV and yachties under the bus

Our solution in time will likely be a switch to Camping Gaz, nearly half the size at 2.7kg and more expensive. Rumour has it that Calor are responsible for the distribution of CG. However, assuming supplies of CG continue, they will at least fit in the gas lockers many European and particularly UK yachts have. Flogas are another supplier all be it a much smaller operation, must be rubbing there hands in glee as they have a similar sized cylinder other than the base ring is slightly wider. Our gas locker has a sump which it needs to fit so I am trying to find out what the actual size is.

Short term we have enough gas for this and perhaps next season. Combined with electric cooking when ever possible I think we will survive.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ey-267283.html
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 08:39   #3

Boat: Prout Quest 33CS, 33ft, "Cat-a-tonic"

I also read about Flowgas but haven't found dimensions yet. Will you post them if you find them please. My self draining gas locker was designed to fit 2x4.5 kg Calor.
Cat-a-tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 23:40   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Bad news

My gas locker, like so many UK built boats, is built for these Calor bottles, and badly fits the standard 5kg Scandi/Baltic bottles (only one at a time, and the regulator has to come off to close the lid ).

Fortunately, like Pete7, we do 90% of our cooking with induction, so don't use so much gas anymore. I guess when the present bottle runs out we'll also have to go to the Camping Gaz bottles. Perhaps not a big deal since we use so little gas these days
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:14   #5

Camping Gaz

I use 907 Camping Gaz cylinders, and recently bought a refill for £54.50. This has become far too expensive and so, like all of us, I am looking for work-arounds. I came across camping gaz adaptors of Ebay that will allow me to refill, up to 80%, a 907 gas bottle at a petrol station. The process is simple provided I limit the volume to 80% from an empty bottle.I haven't tried this yet, and am looking for anyone who has some experience with this. I assume it's technically illegal - like most things, and assume need to be discrete when filling at a petrol ststaion. Am I being a snowflake? I would be filling the bottle for approx £6.00.....Camping Gaz are really ripping us off. Am I missing something? I came across a number of articles referring to this method, but I really dont trust what I read on the Internet/youtube etc. - Still researching and looking forward to your replies.
KRISTELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal