Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 13:13   #16

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot
Re: cancer with spring valves seawatermaker pro

I suspect that the TOTAL amount of lead in these springs would be less than you would ingest any day from the polluted air in an average city any where in the world. I would be a lot more concerned at the amount of mercury we devour in seafood.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 13:28   #17

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Seems to me to be much ado about nothing.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 18:32   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Oh,..Male Bovine Excrement. Some of the best rated lead removal filters for drinking water are simple at home under the sink systems. I'll match a saltwater membrane against any of those any day. My guess this is a crusade by someone who couldn't get his watermaker working right. I know the owner of SeaWaterPro, his shop is less than 100 yards from mine. A very impressive engineer, well educated in RO systems of all kinds, their principles, AND their components.

If that's over the line Gord, I understand.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 01:06   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Oh,..Male Bovine Excrement. Some of the best rated lead removal filters for drinking water are simple at home under the sink systems. I'll match a saltwater membrane against any of those any day. My guess this is a crusade by someone who couldn't get his watermaker working right. I know the owner of SeaWaterPro, his shop is less than 100 yards from mine. A very impressive engineer, well educated in RO systems of all kinds, their principles, AND their components.

If that's over the line Gord, I understand.
I don't know what 'line' you're referring to; but, FWIW, I agree with all you said.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 05:22   #20

Boat: O'Day 34

The original poster obviously has a problem with his watermaker and is using this forum to vent his frustrations.
I have used a SeaWater Pro watermaker for >4 years now and I couldn't be more happier with the product.
As said before, the owner is a very courteous, well educated engineer that has been very helpful with any concerns that I have had.
I highly recommend his product to anyone looking for an affordable watermaker.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 05:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I doubt a lot of water makers are officially drinking water approved. But the only thing that would need to be is the product output. Any possible lead issue of those check valves would not make it through the membrane
o ,yes. why American eat chlorinated chicken in USA and everybody know this chicken is not approved in EU. if somebody grow on this way animal in EU penalty be big,jail 100%

normally have opposite situation EU grow USA market.
and this guy so fear maybe lead in trace in valve. but if somebody pay lot money government agency he receives officially drinking water approved,but chlorinated chicken is not possible to receive aproved to human food.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 09:01   #22

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
The original poster obviously has a problem with his watermaker and is using this forum to vent his frustrations.
I have used a SeaWater Pro watermaker for >4 years now and I couldn't be more happier with the product.
As said before, the owner is a very courteous, well educated engineer that has been very helpful with any concerns that I have had.
I highly recommend his product to anyone looking for an affordable watermaker.
I just stated that for years he sold chinese membranes housing and chinese motors to numerous customers, and now that he proposes exclusively his blue membrane housing and leeson motors he says that the original equipment he used were I quote "chinese junk" his terms that were removed from his website quite recently... So to conclude we customers were his guinee pigs for years !!!
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

SeaWater Pro is a good company and product. They offer both economical components and upgraded ones, letting the consumer decide.

I communicated with them many times and after before my buddy boat decided to go with them. The system was installed, and used, with no failures to supply water for a family of 8...enough said.

Cruise RO also solid. I have installed a couple of their systems; likewise amazing communication.

Good luck.
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:21   #24

Seawater has traces of just about every element and membranes won't remove them
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:19   #25

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacksman View Post
Seawater has traces of just about every element and membranes won't remove them
If you can use RO to remove Na+ (atomic number 11, atomic mass 23), why would you think it would not remove Pb++ (atomic number 82, atomic mass 207)?
Here is the CDC site regarding water filtration:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...treatment.html
"Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous."
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
o ,yes. why American eat chlorinated chicken in USA and everybody know this chicken is not approved in EU. if somebody grow on this way animal in EU penalty be big,jail 100%

normally have opposite situation EU grow USA market.
and this guy so fear maybe lead in trace in valve. but if somebody pay lot money government agency he receives officially drinking water approved,but chlorinated chicken is not possible to receive aproved to human food.

A lot of EU regulations are designed not to protect citizens, but rather to protect EU markets from foreign competition.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
If you can use RO to remove Na+ (atomic number 11, atomic mass 23), why would you think it would not remove Pb++ (atomic number 82, atomic mass 207)?

Water from a watermaker is excellent and I'm happy to drink any elements left behind. After consuming gallons of it I'm still kicking. I was referring to California Prop 65 mentioned earlier and my use of the word 'trace'. I'm sure if one searches hard enough one will find a 'trace' of elements in the water.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:11   #28

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapanui 2 View Post
I just stated that for years he sold chinese membranes housing and chinese motors to numerous customers, and now that he proposes exclusively his blue membrane housing and leeson motors he says that the original equipment he used were I quote "chinese junk" his terms that were removed from his website quite recently... So to conclude we customers were his guinee pigs for years !!!
How does a Chinese motor add lead to the output of a seawater RO system?
I guess a pressure housing might leech lead into the seawater, but why would the housing itself have lead in it to leach in the first place?
Chinese products built their original market share (or dominance) by pricing competitors out of business. And yes, many Chinese products were carp.
Anyone remember what American consumers thought of Japanese products in the 1960’s? Carp, carp, carp.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:15   #29

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Sounds like GordMay put the final answer to this question/concern to rest with his Answer.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:49   #30

Please be civil in your posts. Reading through this particular correspondence flow, there are unnecessary snide and even angry posts. It matters not whether English is your first language or second or third; it matters not whether you have years of sailing experience and experience with the particular subject matter or you are new in the arena. It is crucial that everyone remain civil and respectful in their tone. Being sarcastic, angry, nasty or intolerant is not acceptable.

Tags
water, watermaker