Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 04:13   #1

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet
cancer with spring valves seawatermaker pro

This is what I found after buying my water maker from sea water Pro!!
How they decide to ignore this warning and endangered the life of customers!!!
Restrictions and Compliance
This product is not intended for potable water applications (human consumption – drinking and cooking) and has not been designed to be compliant with the “Safe Drinking Water Act” requirements for low lead in potable water applications. This item is for use, only, in non-potable (non-human consumption) water applications.
This is a restricted item. It cannot be used in the USA for potable water applications.
her the link in sale at ZORO
https://www.zoro.com/valterra-12-fpt...anger::danger:
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 04:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: cancer with spring valves seawatermaker pro

Where do you see that SeaWater Pro uses the Chinese Spring Check Valves, to which you link?

For instance, SeaWater Pro utilises DOW FILMTEC SW30-2540, 40 inch Reserve Osmosis Membrane[s].
https://seawaterpro.com/products/12-...ne-water-maker

See also:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3325955
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-245648.html
And:
https://boattest.com/node/110058

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 04:54   #3

I talk about spring valves used for the feed of fresh water from the tank to flush the system threw the carbon filter you do not understand my post not talking about filmtec membranes!!!
Old 28-01-2022, 05:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapanui 2 View Post
I talk about spring valves used for the feed of fresh water from the tank to flush the system threw the carbon filter you do not understand my post not talking about filmtec membranes!!!
you must explain
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 05:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You're right, I didn't understand your post.

Old 28-01-2022, 05:14   #6

sea water pro sell watermaker in kit with 2 spring valves included and after checking I find out that the store that sell them advise customers that this valves are not for human consumption of water !! is that clear ?
why I am snitching on that? because I do not get reply from them after buy their product so I not happy,as well he was selling before chinese membranes housing and chinese motors with confidence do he has test them before? now he says that is chinese junk! bad politics and taking customers for morons!!
Old 28-01-2022, 06:10   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
While not great, the valve you are describing isn't going into your potable water supply, but instead is going overboard as a fresh water flush. It's also going through a carbon filter which will take the lead - the concern with this valve - out of the water. It's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Matt
Old 28-01-2022, 06:23   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

The valve in question is a simple little spring assisted swing check valve made of PVC with a Stainless spring.
Where's the lead coming from that you are worried about causing cancer?

Pieter
Afrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 06:33   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

I doubt a lot of water makers are officially drinking water approved. But the only thing that would need to be is the product output. Any possible lead issue of those check valves would not make it through the membrane
Old 28-01-2022, 09:09   #10

Boat: C-Dory, 22 ft

Perhaps much of the problem indicated above is associated with regulatory gems like California Prop 65 (https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/...proposition-65).

Prop 65 claims to offer citizens "information" to "make informed decisions about their exposures to these chemicals".

In fact, Prop 65 largely offers paralysis, since nearly any substance you eat or drink as well as the equipment used to prepare them, will contain known cancer-causing chemicals listed under Prop 65. Some of these chemicals are ubiquitous, and many are naturally-occurring. Pb is just one of over 900 listed.

Prop 65 bureaucrats finally did decide that individual coffee cups didn't need Prop 65 labels on them, even though coffee always contains chemicals listed under Prop 65. Hamburgers and steaks, too. In all likelihood, probably any item you eat or drink will contain some, depending on the ability of analytical equipment to quantify or detect it.

Anyone up for a "cold one" after a long day of sailing...bad idea "Alcoholic beverages are on the Proposition 65 list because they can cause cancer. Consuming alcoholic beverages increases the risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, voice box, esophagus, liver, breast, colon and rectum."

I wonder if the reluctance of water filter and purification system manufacturers to list their systems as providing drinking water stems partly from the legal peril they face under Prop 65 in making any such claim.
Robhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 09:09   #11

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
While not great, the valve you are describing isn't going into your potable water supply, but instead is going overboard as a fresh water flush. It's also going through a carbon filter which will take the lead - the concern with this valve - out of the water. It's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Matt
Carbon filters mostly filter out organic matter and chlorine. I’m not sure they do much for lead.
From another post, why would lead be leaching out from a PVC and SS component valve?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 09:25   #12

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
sea water pro sell watermaker in kit with 2 spring valves included and after checking I find out that the store that sell them advise customers that this valves are not for human consumption of water !! is that clear ?
why I am snitching on that? because I do not get reply from them after buy their product so I not happy,as well he was selling before chinese membranes housing and chinese motors with confidence do he has test them before? now he says that is chinese junk! bad politics and taking customers for morons!!
Okay, but that's not snitching.
Thanks for your concern, and checking out something that doesn't seem right.
That's what this forum is about.
I think in this case more appropriately would be danger from lead poisoning.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 10:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

rapanui2 obviously does not write English as a first language. Cut him/her some slack.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 12:16   #14

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

I suspect the manufacturer is being ultra cautious.

As mentioned above - where is the lead?
Lead is certainly toxic but probably only slightly carcinogenic - if at all.
Compared with so many other toxins we encounter in day to day life I think this little plastic and stainless steel valve is hardly of concern.
Get real.
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 12:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Carbon filters mostly filter out organic matter and chlorine. I’m not sure they do much for lead.
From another post, why would lead be leaching out from a PVC and SS component valve?
Distillation, reverse osmosis, and activated carbon filtres all remove lead, from drinking water. To be National Sanitation Foundation [NSF] certified, a filtre or filter media must remove 15 ppb of lead, down to at least 10 ppb.

Tags
water, watermaker