Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 07:10   #1

changing water tank

Hi,
Have just bought a Downeaster 38. shes in great condition and just had the survey done and the surveyor was very impressed.

one thing he did pick up on though is a very slight leak in one of the water tanks. looks like here in a small pin hole leak at the top of where the fitting goes into the bottom of the tank. These tanks are original stainless tanks, so they have had a long life at 34 yrs.

I am now looking at either replacing the tanks, which involved cutting out the cabin sole and getting new tanks fabricated or patching the hole using devcon or some other epoxy and putting off the job for a bit, I know that i will have to tackle it sometime.

Firstly, as far as the patch job goes, any suggestions for what to use? and prep for the job. know i will need to get a very roughed up surface for it to adhere to, was thinking grinding with a dremel and then etching.

secondly, i will be heading from here in st pete down to Florida and then over to central America, i am tossing up whether to get the job done here as i know of a quality fabricator here in town and wont have to worry about chasing up second rate work somewhere else. what are your thoughts?
josh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water