Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36   #1

Boat: L 34
Cleaning-Out the Holding Tank

I'd like to clean out the holding tank and use it for extra water capacity ! ! or diesel tankage. Any ideas? is the plastic likely to be unsuitable for diesel? Wanna drink of water from my new fresh water tank ? ! !
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
I'd like to clean out the holding tank and use it for extra water capacity ! ! or diesel tankage. Any ideas? is the plastic likely to be unsuitable for diesel? Wanna drink of water from my new fresh water tank ? ! !
ok wise guy... if ya hadn't been around awhile I would be thinkin this was a kid on summer break trollin fer responses...

I am SO hoping you are pullin our legs.... cause reusing a black water tank for drinking water is gross in so many ways I can't list em!!

now diesel maybe, I don't know that it would be a problem so long as it was cleaned and disinfected and thoroughly dried first...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:24   #3

Boat: C&C 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
now diesel maybe, I don't know that it would be a problem so long as it was cleaned and disinfected and thoroughly dried first...
He has to be joking.

BTW most holding tanks are not manufactured and tested to Coast Guard regs (CFR) that fuel tanks are. Probably not a good idea.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:33   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Um - OK, I'll bite. I like to let the disgusting side of my nature air out to play every now and then, and fellow teachers at work don't seem to like it when I do it there...

What the heck, you could just switch between the two uses depending on where you are. Hey, why bother even washing it, just fill it and recycle it - recycling is the new cool, nowadays. Since it is already close to the bathroom, you could run it to your basin and brush your teeth in it. Perhaps you could wash your girlfriend's hair in it, I'll bet she's after more fresh water..... Or you could bottle it and sell it in India. Serve to the mother-in-law. Even better, I'll send my Principal on a visit to you.

Please note: any characters, places or suggestions in this post are entirely fictional, and the poster takes absolutely no responsibility for any illnesses or diseases caused by some idiot adopting the suggested fictitious ideas.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:40   #5

Why not cut out the middle man and hook up your head discharge to the faucet in the head and galley, then you could remove the holding tank and use the area for storage.....
Old 09-07-2010, 16:47   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good one, Opie. But methinks you'd still need somewhere to store it before opening the faucet (??? I mean turn on the taps, which I think is what a faucet is...???)

Therefore, to utilise the current holding tank space as storage space, one could connect the outlet from the heads to the water heater. Hence one could not only serve the galley and the shower (as you suggest); but one could also make nice cup of tea with it. For the mother-in-law. (Or coffee, if one's mother-in-law is American)

Please note: any characters, places or suggestions in this post are entirely fictional, and the poster takes absolutely no responsibility for any illnesses or diseases caused by some idiot adopting the suggested fictitious ideas.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 19:04   #7

It would be the "green" to do, or maybe brown....
Old 09-07-2010, 19:50   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Oh, the posts that come to mind, but I'm sure I'd get banned for life!

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank