Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 08:42   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
CLR Septic

Has anyone used CLR Septic? How does it compare to the more traditional marine head enzymes (eg Marine Digest)?

https://clrbrands.com/Products/CLR-H...stem-Treatment
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: CLR Septic

I just had a great conversation with a customer service rep named Chloe who turned out to be a boat owner! She told me that it should work aerobically (septic tanks are anaerobic) in a holding tank and to use only 1-2 ounces, followed by about a quart of clean FRESH water, after each pumpout. The fresh water rinse is necessary because CLR Septic can build up in the toilet discharge line if allowed to remain without rinsing.

There's nothing in it that can damage anything in a marine sanitation system...it will boost digestion of solids and paper...so the only thing "up for grabs" is whether it can prevent odor out the vent. So I think it may be worth a try!

-Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:58   #3

Boat: Trawler

One thing to remember is that septic tanks become explosive after 72 hours. The more time that passes after that, the more so it becomes. Adding enzymes speeds up the process.

I liked using an RV chem called WALEX Porta-Pak (green) (cheapest at Walmart). Stabilizes the sludge for the 72 hours. But nothing can stop the fermentation after the 72 hours except aeration. A fish tank air pump helps for small marine tanks. Just make sure the vent line is up to specs.

If you goto one of your local sewage plants you’ll see that they have aeration fountains to slow the fermentation, which help eliminate orders/gasses.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 18:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

I don't know where you got your information, but if septic tanks became explosive in 72 hours--or ever!, there'd be "bomb craters" in back yards in rural areas and suburbs where where sewer isn't available all over the country, if not the entire developed world!

Sewage doesn't ferment in a marine or RV holding tank, but unless adequately ventilated to prevent it, contents can become anaerobic...generating hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide gasses (stinky, but not explosive) and methane (odorless but flammable if unable to escape out the vent).

I think you need to have a conversation with a chemist at your local sewage treatment plant...most of 'em love to educate 'cuz they're so seldom asked to do so. If you were to read the chapter "Holding Tank Odor--Odor Out the Vent" in my book (see link in my signature...just click on the title) you'd read information that was vetted by a chemist in my local sewage treatment plant.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:23   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilgeRat View Post
One thing to remember is that septic tanks become explosive after 72 hours. The more time that passes after that, the more so it becomes. Adding enzymes speeds up the process.

I liked using an RV chem called WALEX Porta-Pak (green) (cheapest at Walmart). Stabilizes the sludge for the 72 hours. But nothing can stop the fermentation after the 72 hours except aeration. A fish tank air pump helps for small marine tanks. Just make sure the vent line is up to specs.

If you goto one of your local sewage plants you’ll see that they have aeration fountains to slow the fermentation, which help eliminate orders/gasses.

Basically bronopol, a disinfectant well known to cause trouble in septic systems, holding tanks, and sewage treatment. IMO, this product has a negative value--I wouldn't take it if they were giving it away.

BTW, one of the companies I consult (chemical engineer) for treats portable toilet wastes that are treated with boronopol and formaldehyde--both are nightmares and I wish more states would ban them from holding tanks.