Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2020, 16:17   #1

cockpit drains/hoses

On my list for projects this winter is replacing the hoses that run from cockpit drains to thru hulls. At present they run straight down to same side. My question, on a previous boat the hoses crossed to opposite sides. I asked around and was told when it heeled,toe rails in, that crossed hoses would keep water from backing up the hose into the cockpit. Now never did i have that problem even though I buried them often. On present boat they run to same side, no crossover, but have never had any water backup. So anyone any idea on what is normal practice? Just trying to restore to original if possible and mostly want to be safe/no issues for the family.
Old 04-11-2020, 16:35   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: cockpit drains/hoses

I have a Gen 1 Catalina 30. The hoses run like yours where the scuppers are connected to the same side as the thru hull. I wanted to criss cross mine like you were saying but the steering quadrant is in the way and does not allow it.
Even at 30-35 degree of heel this summer we didn't get any water back flushing into the cockpit.

I wouldn't say it's a safety issue, more of an annoyance issue if it does happen and your feet/shoes get wet.

**As a bit of a thread drift, I don't know how direct of a connection your scuppers to your thru hulls are, but with mine there were two pretty tight radius bends to get them to connect. I used sanitation hose which was very stiff and in order to get them to fit I boiled the hoses for a few minutes first and then put them in place very quickly (with gloves) while still hot and it made the job MUCH easier. (just don't forget the hose clamps when you're rushing to throw it into place
Old 11-11-2020, 13:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Think along these lines, think about your boat, and be sure that my logic holds:

Assuming that the discharges are just below the waterline when the boat is level: If at your maximum expected heel the sole/side of lazarette junction is below water level, you'll want to cross them, despite that possibly holding in any water that comes in over the side. If that junction is above water level, then straight down has the advantage of not holding that water.

I think I got that right, but a drawing of the cross section of the boat would help you.
Old 11-11-2020, 13:21   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah that is the thinking, but having had it both ways I didn't see any difference or safety issue in my own boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 13:26   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We only recently crossed ours as I was tired of wet feet when beating.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 15:18   #6

so judging what i have received, i do not have to cross them. another question, does anyone have valves on your cockpit drains? Mine does not and I have always wondered if I should install them.
Old 11-11-2020, 15:52   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
so judging what i have received, i do not have to cross them. another question, does anyone have valves on your cockpit drains? Mine does not and I have always wondered if I should install them.
Yes. IMO.
As you can see, you can sail for years without them. But still, yes.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 15:58   #8

Boat: Tartan 4100

Water seeks it's own level, if you have green water rushing into your cockpit, which way will drain fastest? Mine drain straight back to the centerline.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 16:44   #9

Boat: Moody 425

As far as valves go, mine does have them. If a hose were to fail, without a valve you might sink.
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:24   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post

I had a Pearson vanguard without valves on the cockpit drains, but the drains had fiberglass tubes above the waterline with a short section of hose to attach them to the cockpit scuppers.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I like the Sailmonkey solution. One the one hand, any opening below the waterline can flood the boat, so valves would seem called for. On the other hand, if the valves are hard to get to when the boat is flooding, they are not of much use, and if they are not exercised regularly they may not work when needed.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:26   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Think along these lines, think about your boat, and be sure that my logic holds:

Assuming that the discharges are just below the waterline when the boat is level: If at your maximum expected heel the sole/side of lazarette junction is below water level, you'll want to cross them, despite that possibly holding in any water that comes in over the side. If that junction is above water level, then straight down has the advantage of not holding that water.

I think I got that right, but a drawing of the cross section of the boat would help you.
This is the right kind of analysis.

How high is your cockpit sole above the water line?
How much does the boat squat when motoring?
How deep are the exits?

On both my boats the drain pipes are simple steel tubes (schedule 80!) that go directly down. I can see the bottom through them. I have had water come up, but more because it is rough and there are no bends to dampen the surge.

If your cockpit sole is just above water line, if your through hulls are just below, you will get the surge or sea level water. Crossing will help with both surge and sea level water. But at the cost of making the drainage less efficient, more probe to blockage.

No free lunch.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:37   #13

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Drummer View Post
As far as valves go, mine does have them. If a hose were to fail, without a valve you might sink.

Plus that. Every below waterline through hull should have a valve. That works ;-)

Tags
cockpit