Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2024, 05:51   #1

Boat: Scanmar 35
Cockpit shower installation

I'm planning to install cockpit (or transom) shower and I'm particularly interested in waterproofing. It will be something like in picture. What's not clear to me how to avoid water running down the hose after washing is done.

See blue marks in picture. To my understanding water should leak inside boat through hole where shower head exits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	289187  
janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 06:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Cockpit shower installation

You have to assume some small amount of water ingress in this sort of fixture. We have something similar and don't experience any significant amount of water. Maybe you could fabricate or find a cover with a seal to better keep water out when not in use. However when using the sprayer some water might drain back down the hose and drip into the cavity behind it.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 06:52   #3

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3

Yes, it will. I have a similar setup and my shower head plastic has been cracked. And guess where all water went ? Yes, inside boat. So all my water tank have been pumped out to aft compartment until I have found a leak.
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 07:09   #4

Are there any better shower fixtures with different construction? I would assume if shower hose is not retractable then there is no water leek inside.
Old 24-04-2024, 07:53   #5

If you can find enough space you could install an opening portlite and mount the shower stuff behind it. That way you can close it up water tight when not in use. I have not found the stern to take enough water to worry much though. But it's possible in a storm I suppose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 09:04   #6

I would assume most water will be dripping from wet shower hose and not because of bad box lid seal. I probably install on transom and shower fixtire
will be in aft cabins cabinet and even small amounts of water would be really anoying.
Old 24-04-2024, 09:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis View Post
I would assume most water will be dripping from wet shower hose and not because of bad box lid seal. I probably install on transom and shower fixtire
will be in aft cabins cabinet and even small amounts of water would be really anoying.
Once you turn the valve off, it should not be dripping. Turn valve off, open shower end and drain hose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 14:50   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The way ours is, the water is piped out to the transom, where there is an off/on valve, and a shower hose with a pressure off so that the hose doesn't run unnecessarily. On this boat, we stand or sit (out of the wind) to shower. Cold water only, but not nearly so cold as Latvia!

Is there a reason Cheekako's plan wouldn't work. I'd think that turning off the water pressure, followed by draining the hose before putting it back would take care of the problem. It's a simple procedure, but you might have to remind guests or small children about it.

Ann
Old 24-04-2024, 15:11   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the way I addressed a cockpit shower is like this.

I purchased a 2.5 gallon garden sprayer at a local hardware store.
Then I removed the sprayer wand and replaced with a small shower hose, much like you'd find at a kitchen sink. A simple operation requiring 5 minutes

When not in use, it has a place near the transom for storage.

I painted the bottom half black so that the sun could heat the water.

When I want a shower or rinse, a few pumps on the handle provides sufficient pressure flow for a decent rinse.

Typically, I will shower at the transom using seawater and use the container to rinse with fresh water, but 2.5 gallons is ample for a fresh water shower, wet down, soap up and rinse off.

Fresh water on a boat is usually of limited quantity, so observing some common sense rules, provides all the water you need for a shower.

Women that are used to using half the City water supply to wash and rinse their hair may find this a bit draconian, but that is boat life for you...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 15:37   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

In warm waters, we used also to wash in the sea, rinse off with fresh. Used the sunshower for the fresh, and did not use more than one liter per person. Simples. However, we're talking about somewhere COLD.

Ann
Old 24-04-2024, 15:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have no experiencing in cruising in areas where it's cold.

For me it's getting cold when seawater temps drops below 80f....

Anything below 75f....fuhgetaboutit....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 20:53   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If you make the hose extra long, the loop hanging down should keep water from running back down into the boat. You might need to stuff a towel in there while showering too.

A 35 foot boat may not be carrying a lot of extra water for showers. You might consider the option mentioned by MicHughV, the chemical sprayer. I use that on my small boat and it works very well, is inexpensive, simple, and helps ensure you don't use, or waste, too much water. It is easy to warm up too by just adding a kettle of hot water to it. This one is like mine, but I take the wand off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprayer.png
Views:	14
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	289209  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 00:29   #13

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Hei Janis,
You should not install shower unit so it will drain into aft cabin. Install it in the way that it drains into bilge.
ullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 03:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
the way I addressed a cockpit shower is like this.

I purchased a 2.5 gallon garden sprayer at a local hardware store.
Then I removed the sprayer wand and replaced with a small shower hose, much like you'd find at a kitchen sink. A simple operation requiring 5 minutes

When not in use, it has a place near the transom for storage.

I painted the bottom half black so that the sun could heat the water.

When I want a shower or rinse, a few pumps on the handle provides sufficient pressure flow for a decent rinse.

Typically, I will shower at the transom using seawater and use the container to rinse with fresh water, but 2.5 gallons is ample for a fresh water shower, wet down, soap up and rinse off.

Fresh water on a boat is usually of limited quantity, so observing some common sense rules, provides all the water you need for a shower.

Women that are used to using half the City water supply to wash and rinse their hair may find this a bit draconian, but that is boat life for you...
That! Same solution except my sprayer is 3gal and I kept the wand as is. The sprayer is attached to the stern railing resting on a coaming.

Also got tired of guests using all the water when trying to be helpful washing dishes. So disconnected fresh water from the galley. Its sea water wash from a foot pump and fresh water rinse from 1.5gal sprayer. No more running out of water with guests onboard. For drinking and food prep I use 2.5gal store containers. Don't want to deal with filtration/chlorination of tank watdr and whatnot as I am not cruising extensively and usually 3-4 2.5gal containers are enough for even a long weekend trips. If I were to cruise extensivy then would he a different set up. Probably would go to a watermaker as I generally distrust tank water for drinking.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 19:21   #15

A cockpit shower should be installed so that the back of the shower pod is in a lazarrtte to avoid water excess into cabin. My Hunter had the cockpit shower fastened this way with the waterlines all inside the aft lazatette next to a heated cabin. Would that prevent freezing, no but it helps. Someone mentioned cold, why would you want an outside shower in the cold parts of the world?
mattiejo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, installation, shower