Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2009, 14:38   #151

I get your meaning... Really bad days, those.
Luckily, we're not in hurricane territory. Outages are a rarity. A couple of years ago for half an hour or so...

In the meantime,I bit the bullet and ordered a 70Ah AGM battery and a better charger. The panel is a bit too much at present. Maybe next year, when summer comes around...

Thanks for the help, has been really useful.

Eric.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 16:10   #152

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Ericb, sorry I misinterpreted your statement about recharging after a few cloudy days in midwinter. My point though is that even using it to cool beer in midwinter, your actual cooling load will be very low if you keep the unit in an unheated space. I live at 35N and my experience is that the winter climate here on this side of the pond is very similar to north central Europe. Obviously 17 degrees greater sun angle and longer days helps collect more power in mid winter, but I can easily keep beer cold in an unheated boat without refrigeration power at all. My actual refrigerator runs very little unless I turn on the heat. So while your ability to generate power in mid winter is low, so are your power requirements. In the summer long days and high sun angle help your power collection it also increases your power requirements.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 05:49   #153

No problem Captain, i might have been a bit unclear in my wording, as english is not my native language. Sorry about that
I'll run the cooler on the 40W, 70Ah this winter and see how it holds up at the various temperature setpoints. Then maybe next year I'll have some extra funding available to buy a bigger panel. As TVEngineer pointed out, 40W won't be enough to keep it running for a few hot days in a row.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 15:46   #154

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
has anyone got in contact with global cooling...........have been trying for two days now with no avail ..............ED
Old 27-10-2009, 16:11   #155

Contact

I've been here, but its been busy and I can't sit at my desk all day long. Leave me a voice mail if I don't answer right away and I'll call you back ASAP.
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 16:53   #156

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
If I knew what total cost to Ontario, Canada (complete with shipping), along with some guidance on design (price dependent of course), I would give this technology a try.
I am rebuilding my fridge/freezer this winter.
The experts for this technology are just not out there (compared to conventional cooling) and it's too big of an investment to do without expert help.

Anyone?

Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 17:15   #157

hey sorry about that Jessie.Is the Number 704-592-2655 ? that what's on the global cooling web page for contact in Ohio....when dialed i get a message machine owned by Cory & Karen.............could you give me your # Please.....thanks Ed Morris 770-940-1979
Old 01-11-2009, 07:11   #158

OK cell tower must have redirected me ......purchased the SC-Js05 for global cooling yesterday...thanks Jessie for your help..So here's the plan..In my CSY 44 i have three refrigeration compartments...side by side.one was a freezer,the other two are frig. I have access to the freezer via the engine room,where i plan to mount the unit. then to cut spillover fans and thermostats into the other two compartments. with a little tweeking this should work....will let you guys know on the progress............Ed
Old 01-11-2009, 17:33   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
OK cell tower must have redirected me ......purchased the SC-Js05 for global cooling yesterday...thanks Jessie for your help..So here's the plan..In my CSY 44 i have three refrigeration compartments...side by side.one was a freezer,the other two are frig. I have access to the freezer via the engine room,where i plan to mount the unit. then to cut spillover fans and thermostats into the other two compartments. with a little tweeking this should work....will let you guys know on the progress............Ed
I'll be watching with great interest. I love the concept but have spent too much time on the bleeding edge and not willing to on this one. I really hope that your findings are favorable.
The best of luck and look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Extemp.
Old 01-11-2009, 17:57   #160

I was kind of thinking of going with a custom built unit.
Not sure which cooling method though. Indirect, I'm thinking?
Sure wish more people would try this before me .

Regards,
Extemp.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sterling cooling FPSC_Application_Examples.pdf (102.0 KB, 172 views)
Old 01-11-2009, 18:18   #161

the SC-JS05 is indirect.............i know it will cool one frig compartment way colder than i need,like -20F below 0...so moving the cold air to two other compartments should be no problem...4'' of insulation and some kind of holding plate type mass and i think she'll work just fine.....but we will see....Ed
Old 09-11-2009, 05:44   #162

OK.....here's some info on what I'm doing with my SC_JS05 unit ....in my CSY 44 w/o ,I have three compartments....7 cu/ft each. in the first compartment ,I will mount the unit..this is my deep freezer...In it i will have blue ice holding plates configured in a I shape....to feed the cold spillover air into the the next compartment i will use frigoboat's spillover fan and thermostat unit #E262000 12volt @ .65 amps. I bought a second spillover unit for the third compartment ,but i dont know if I really need 21 cu/ft of refrigeration...so I will try with 14 cu/ft for now......with the holding plate configuration, I should'nt have to run the sterling unit 24/7 to save on aH.....I will be installing this unit into my boat the first of December.....and I will be giving SIT REPS on the installation......................Ed
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44   #163
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Oboutgne - How are you cooling the holding plates? Via the cold air form the stirling cooler? I am no expert in this stuff, but I don't think they will serve you any better than a couple of bottles of water, if that is the case. The heat transfer would be very slow. They would act as a thermal mass, but not anywhere like a holding plates should.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57   #164

well i have crosby holding plates in there now but there shot.....but thermal mass is all i have for now................the blue ice is what i am going to use ...stays frozen longer than bottle water... the sterling unit will deep freeze down to 20 below that's pretty cold..Should i leave the holding plates in, even if there not working?.....Ed
Old 09-11-2009, 17:56   #165

eutectic solution

Quote:
OK.....here's some info on what I'm doing with my SC_JS05 unit ....in my CSY 44 w/o ,I have three compartments....7 cu/ft each. in the first compartment ,I will mount the unit..this is my deep freezer...In it i will have blue ice holding plates configured in a I shape....to feed the cold spillover air into the the next compartment i will use frigoboat's spillover fan and thermostat unit #E262000 12volt @ .65 amps. I bought a second spillover unit for the third compartment ,but i dont know if I really need 21 cu/ft of refrigeration...so I will try with 14 cu/ft for now......with the holding plate configuration, I should'nt have to run the sterling unit 24/7 to save on aH.....I will be installing this unit into my boat the first of December.....and I will be giving SIT REPS on the installation......................Ed
I think I'm missing something here (it happens). One of the attributes of the Sterling Cooler is that it does run continuous. In 24 hour it will likely use less power then conventional, but it runs continuous and therefore no high load on the batteries. Batteries like that better because of Peukert's law. And so it makes no sense (to me) to go with a cold plate at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Oboutgne - How are you cooling the holding plates? Via the cold air form the stirling cooler? I am no expert in this stuff, but I don't think they will serve you any better than a couple of bottles of water, if that is the case. The heat transfer would be very slow. They would act as a thermal mass, but not anywhere like a holding plates should.
Chris
Perhaps you could freeze a eutectic solution in the freezer portion of your setup (when you have extra power available) and then pull it from the freezer and put it in your fridge portion, but to leave it fixed in the freezer doesn't make sense to me (considering your freezing it with air).
Quote:
well i have crosby holding plates in there now but there shot.....but thermal mass is all i have for now................the blue ice is what i am going to use ...stays frozen longer than bottle water... the sterling unit will deep freeze down to 20 below that's pretty cold..Should i leave the holding plates in, even if there not working?.....Ed
Is the SC_JS05 unit not just and example of their Indirect Cooling (see attached)?
If it is, just use the air blowing out of it and you can still use your spill over concept. At least that's my take on it.

Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling cooling FPSC_Application_Indirect_Cooling.png
Views:	340
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	10992