Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 19:43   #166

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
I think other ideas are making me over think this....before I try the holding concept,I'm going to install the unit....give it a dry run...then make conclusions and adjustments as needed............Ed
Old 14-11-2009, 17:56   #167

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Refrigeration Heat Sync?

Does anyone know where one might get a refrigeration Heat Sink for the attached FPSC?

I can't find one on Twinbird's Web Site.
TWINBIRD Free Piston Stirling Cooler

Thanks,
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPSC Indirect Cooling With Heat Sink.png
Views:	219
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	11101  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 18:59   #168

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
aboutgone,

How is your installation coming?

Anything to report?

Listening intently,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 19:30   #169

Extemp: haven't gotten back down to the boat ...Dec 1st and I will be there......give Jessie an e-mail.........Jedwards@globalcooling .com he will be able to help on the heat sink...Ed
Old 22-12-2009, 08:02   #170

Well ...It's in and working really good....the JSO5 unit took two days to come to temp set point, I have three Refrigeration compartments...7cu. ft. each,with spill over fans feeding the the last two in line.One being the freezer where the unit is mounted..temps as follows...Freezer is @ 17F degrees ..the next frig compartment is set at 37F,the next is set @ 40F....the amp draw at first start up was 6 amps...after two days it is modulating between 2 and 3 amps....I left the old Crosby freezer holding plate in the freezer and it's frozen solid with frost on it,so if i want to cut the unit off or put a timer on it,I can probably get the Ah's down lower. this was a really fun and challenging project......and keep in mind that I'm using 30 year old foam insulation. with modern day super insulation it would be better and more efficient....So there it is folks................The thing Works.................Ed
Old 22-12-2009, 09:44   #171
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Aboutgone;

Sounds promising. What have the cabin temps been during this period? I hope it works for you in the hottest months.

Care to post some photos of the install?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 10:14   #172

Cabin temps have been in the high 70's....I think that even in the tropics...i will still be able to make ice......Also a 1000 Ah bank will help, along with 4 135 watt solar panels......you guys wanted to know if it worked.....it does..........pic's to follow as a get a chance....Ed
Old 22-12-2009, 11:48   #173

Boat: Radford 40
What I need help on is what to replace my 6 year old Waeco CF 50 (litre) unit that is no longer cooling efficiently, there are problems with the thermostat, the controller needs to be replaced, etc.

I have tried to read through this thread and understand the technical side, but my eyes glazeover.

Fully recognizing my lach of technical skills, I have no desire to build in a freezer/cooling box, nor do I wish to pay some one $60 an hour to take on the project.

It seems that the Coleman portable unit is the way for me to to go, it appears to be about the same size. I can just unplug my old unit and plug in the new, and I am back to having a freezer or cooler depending on how I make the settings.

So where do I find dimension specs, where can I get a unit, what do they cost? I went to the global website, no information there the Coleman site says no longer available, do I have to bother Mr. Edwards with a simple consumer purchase?

Thanks

Tom
Tom Hildebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 21:27   #174

Tom: I thought that jessie edwards would have chimed in by now......Email him and tell him what your looking for ,I'm sure he will help you.....The unit i got from him is working flawlessly .......Ed Morris
Old 24-05-2010, 00:25   #175

Boat: Cal Cruising 46
So about, how did you deal with the condesate water drainage problem. I take it that you mounted the unit on the side of the box and it flows in from there?

I have much the same set up, a freezer with thermo controlled vent fan, to cool the reefer side, so it should work for my install as well. Only problem is it will be in the galley space, how much noise are we talking about from the circ fans?
jackahearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 05:07   #176

The unit it pretty loud.....don't know if I could deal with it in the cabin.....mine backs up to a cockpit locker and it is still louder than I would like...Ed
Old 27-05-2010, 21:21   #177

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
If anyone is wanting a Coleman Stirling power cooler there are a bunch of them on ebay at present,the company shows a quantity of more than 10. I ordered one and received it today(they shipped very promptly) The buy it now price is $329.00 including shipping which i felt was a good deal.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 05:34   #178

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Am I correct in assuming that these Coleman Stirling power coolers require less airflow than similar sized Engel compressor types?

I may put one in my large icebox, reasonably well insulated, and wondered if I would need to cut a hole in the side, for example, in order to have some airflow in the icebox. Thoughts?

As well, as About has mentioned the noise, I am wondering if being inside the icebox would muffle it to an acceptable level.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 06:36   #179

Boat: CA 34
We have been using a Coleman for going on five years without a single problem and you'd be surprised just how much stuff you can get into it if you leave out the stuff that does not need to be in a fridge...

By the way Coleman never actually built the Sterling fridge and they were simply sticking their label on it... The current world distributor is Global Cooling and the portable fridges can be found here Global Cooling - Products - Portables and build in sorts can be found here Global Cooling - Products - Modules and some may find the fridge units for the portable collapsing models perfect to use as a conversion unit Global Cooling - Products - Collapsibles

Everyone we have met cruising with the Coleman are very happy with their units and would not replace them with anything other than another Sterling fridge.

Bob

Boat Bits
SoItGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 12:43   #180

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Ok,ive had mine plugged into the ac adapter for a couple of days and it seemed to be noisy when drawing down but now in fridge mode it fairly quiet.I dont think you could just stick it in your icebox as is,remember it is extracting heat and it has to go somewhere outside of the box,looking at it i think you could build it into the side of the box with the entire grey control part outside and use the existing 0.9 cubic ft box as your freezer with spillover to the rest of the box, i dunno,ive been having similar thoughts.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote