Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2022, 06:19   #1

Boat: Seaquest46
Compoost desiccating head

Anybody have experience with Compoost? We are thinking of ordering 2 for our Catamaran.

We like the slim, modern look.

https://compoosttoilets.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compoost.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	255907  
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 06:23   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Compoost desiccating head

Another new one. Looks interesting.
Old 14-04-2022, 02:18   #3
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Have a look at the Simploo.

We have one of these and have been very happy with it.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 03:27   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

They are all just $1000+ buckets and pee jugs. Truly is there really any difference?

This one looks fine. Nice, pretty fiberglass/plastic mold work.

In the end it’s just a bucket and pee jug. Hard to get it wrong. Crazy profit margins.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 09:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
They are all just $1000+ buckets and pee jugs. Truly is there really any difference?

This one looks fine. Nice, pretty fiberglass/plastic mold work.

In the end it’s just a bucket and pee jug. Hard to get it wrong. Crazy profit margins.
Don't disagree about cost. There's no rocket science in any of this. It would be relatively easy to build a functioning composter. One CF member says he built his from scratch for about $20. What you get with these commercial heads is aesthetic and function, all ready to go out of the box. If that's not worth a boat-buck to you, then certainly the DIY option is available.

But there are some differences between the commercial options that potential users should consider. I'm seeing two different approaches emerging in all the offerings.

The originals were Air and the Nature's Head. These are the big boys. They are designed to operate for something like a month for full-time, two-adult usage. The urine bottles are equally larger. Then there are ones like C-Head, and I think most of the newer models, which use smaller containers, and therefore are designed to need emptying more frequently.

The former group require active venting and constant churning to achieve their design outcomes. The latter can operate with little or none of the venting/churning, largely because they are emptied much more frequently.

Knowing what your needs are as a boater might dictate which approach is better for you. As a full-timer (for 1/2 the year) I appreciate the larger volumes and longer dump cycles of the Nature's Head. But if I was using my boat for shorter periods, I might prefer one of the others.

Size is also an issue. The two older models are physically larger than the newer offerings (including C-head). So those with limited space might be limited to these newer types.
Old 14-04-2022, 10:07   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Don't disagree about cost. There's no rocket science in any of this. It would be relatively easy to build a functioning composter. One CF member says he built his from scratch for about $20. What you get with these commercial heads is aesthetic and function, all ready to go out of the box. If that's not worth a boat-buck to you, then certainly the DIY option is available.

But there are some differences between the commercial options that potential users should consider. I'm seeing two different approaches emerging in all the offerings.

The originals were Air and the Nature's Head. These are the big boys. They are designed to operate for something like a month for full-time, two-adult usage. The urine bottles are equally larger. Then there are ones like C-Head, and I think most of the newer models, which use smaller containers, and therefore are designed to need emptying more frequently.

The former group require active venting and constant churning to achieve their design outcomes. The latter can operate with little or none of the venting/churning, largely because they are emptied much more frequently.

Knowing what your needs are as a boater might dictate which approach is better for you. As a full-timer (for 1/2 the year) I appreciate the larger volumes and longer dump cycles of the Nature's Head. But if I was using my boat for shorter periods, I might prefer one of the others.

Size is also an issue. The two older models are physically larger than the newer offerings (including C-head). So those with limited space might be limited to these newer types.
That was me! Ha ha.

I detailed how I put together a simple one for like $20.

It was ugly. It was just a test to see if I would like the process of using one before I spent any money on one. Since I built a boat however, I would definitely just build the fiberglass part myself. Even figuring $100 an hour, it’s still coming out ahead compared to the commercial models.

But to each their own of course. Buying one is easy. Nothing you said is wrong.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 10:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That was me! Ha ha.

I detailed how I put together a simple one for like $20.

It was ugly. It was just a test to see if I would like the process of using one before I spent any money on one. Since I built a boat however, I would definitely just build the fiberglass part myself. Even figuring $100 an hour, it’s still coming out ahead compared to the commercial models.

But to each their own of course. Buying one is easy. Nothing you said is wrong.

See. I knew it was one of our respected members .

Tags
head, icc