Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 21:04   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Compost, dry or explosive?

With all three of us hershey squirting, we need to change the compost after a week instead of two or three. So it's like an extra 5 minutes once a year. One person making turd rockets doesn't affect it.
Old 25-06-2013, 03:45   #17

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Compost, dry or explosive?

Elegantly phrased.

Seems like that would also create a lot of paper, either TP or baby wipes, adding quickly to the volume. Some people don't know when enough paper is enough.

After a week's use, it wouldn't be desiccated. Are you storing it for land disposal or since you're in Mexico, just over the rail on the outgoing tide?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 04:04   #18

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Any of you take Metformin/januvia for diabetes. Pretty yellow liquid.
Old 25-06-2013, 05:07   #19

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Land disposal. Double bagged. It's the holding tank crowd who dumps their dumps inside of the marina.
Old 25-06-2013, 05:48   #20

Boat: seawind II Patience

This is getting close to TMI.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:18   #21

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
We love our airhead. Sometimes we dump it in the trash (bagged). Mostly we dump out at sea.
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 12:12   #22

Boat: IP 40

Having never used a compster, they still sound like a great option. My goal to address things like the plumbing removal/update immediately when we purchase a boat to avoid any of the black water storage drama I've witnessed and heard so much about. On a recent trip to the Chuuk we ran into a group of Aussies who sailed over and where without a properly functioning head for the last two weeks of the trip. That left a big impression on my wife, so anything I can do to prevent a similar issue is critical to the process. Not to mention I'd just assume avoid being covered in poop while addressing an issue.

Since it's come up on several threads... How do current composting head users handle the lack of a bowl wash? If things get dicey from an intestinal distress issue, do you find yourself needing to clean the actual bowl after each use. This was something I hadn't previously considered. I could see needing to dump the bucket after a couple days of HEAVY use, and while not desirable, wouldn't see that as a huge issue. That being said I'd hate for anyone to feel they had to remove the evidence of their distress after each use...
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 12:19   #23

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
Having never used a compster, they still sound like a great option. My goal to address things like the plumbing removal/update immediately when we purchase a boat to avoid any of the black water storage drama I've witnessed and heard so much about. On a recent trip to the Chuuk we ran into a group of Aussies who sailed over and where without a properly functioning head for the last two weeks of the trip. That left a big impression on my wife, so anything I can do to prevent a similar issue is critical to the process. Not to mention I'd just assume avoid being covered in poop while addressing an issue.

Since it's come up on several threads... How do current composting head users handle the lack of a bowl wash? If things get dicey from an intestinal distress issue, do you find yourself needing to clean the actual bowl after each use. This was something I hadn't previously considered. I could see needing to dump the bucket after a couple days of HEAVY use, and while not desirable, wouldn't see that as a huge issue. That being said I'd hate for anyone to feel they had to remove the evidence of their distress after each use...
We have some large coffee filters that one can use if you feel a potential messy situation coming on. Otherwise, either you or they should clean the bowl. I just use TP to wipe things down. Then I wash my hands.
Unlike many, I don't have "fecalphobia".
At home we poop in a decorated bucket and compost it outside in a properly layered pile with everything imaginable added as far as kitchen scraps.
Everything composts.
Poop washes off.
Poop coming from a relatively healthy person is NOT toxic.
Simple as that.
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 13:18   #24

Boat: Cooper 416

It is where the acronym Store High In Transit came from. Definitely explosive.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34' "Lily Pad"

If you have explosive diarrhea and you are anchored or located dockside, line a five gallon bucket with a plastic bag and sit on it and use it temporarily. Cover the contents with fresh peat moss to dry it and twist the bag closed and cover the bucket with a lid. Throw the bag away when you can.

If you are running offshore, just use the bucket without the bag and cover the waste with peat moss. When you can, rinse it out with sea water.

BTW, having diarrhea will fill up your holding tank in short order and you probably will have to wipe down the bowl when you are done. It is a problem for any system.

Sandy Graves
Old 07-08-2013, 07:16   #26

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Although I have nothing positive to add, I just HAVE to say that this is one of the most informative, thought-provoking and HILARIOUS threads I've read in a long time.

I'm always interested in learning about head issues and options, and always up for a good laugh.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote