Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 19:57   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35
Re: Compost Head Owners: Would you do it again?

S/V Adeline,

Of course you can send a private message. An honest response is always helpful.
Fi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:06   #122

Boat: Banjer 37

Yes. We have an older Nature’s head from 2008. Boat was in Puerto Rico the first 4 years. We lived on board for 9 months in 2016-17 from Maine to Bahamas. We still like it.
alpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 17:26   #123

As a Nature's Head owner I am satisfied. One has to keep an eye on the urine tank when there are more than 2 people aboard. Overflow can get into the bilge or the composting tank. The ammonia released is pungent. Urine is sterile, but a fistula or a prostate cancer can stop its flow and an infection (UTI) can ensue. If it gets to the kidneys, it can be fatal. It makes no sense that coir is generally unavailable in tropical countries and it is expensive to import from the US. I have resorted to getting sawdust from the boatyard on occasion. I vent my fan into a forward compartment that has an baffled vent in the hatch near the fan outlet so there is no concern about getting water into it. That focs'l is sealed from the rest of the boat and nothing that could absorb any gases that are released into it stored in it. And it gets aired out before entry. I keep a garbage container which I line with a strong plastic bag for the used compost when in port. Otherwise, the holding tank rinses out easily at sea and it came with a spare with a cover.
Amaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 18:16   #124

Yes I wouldInstall another one I have the natures head and it’s been great no more smell in the boat I don’t have to worry about pump out station I had all my grandkids on a boat in every two weeks they will be overflowing now I can go to to three months and not have to change anything and it never has any smell at all we love it
steveips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 07:37   #125

I bought a new natures head and it is well constructed etc. No smell - even during 111F summer days on my houseboat.
I’m not “poop adverse” ( doesn’t disgust me, fact of life) and cleaning wasn’t an issue. Urine emptying got to be a regular chore though. Still, the idea of schlepping a large tank of soggy poop and pee between the pontoons was way more disquieting than maintaining composting toilet.
susgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 07:56   #126

Boat: Rafiki 37

Schlepping the urine bucket every two to three days (depending on the amount of beer I've had ) is definitely the least attractive aspect of having a composter. All things considered though, I haven't found it to be that big a deal.

I know some owners have diverted their urine bucket to a larger holding tank, or taking it directly overboard. To me though, it remains a task that is unpleasant, but not really a big deal.
Old 30-10-2021, 09:08   #127

"...taking it directly overboard..."
Hmmm, isn't that a no - no in marinas etc?
Carting a bottle of pee to empty in marina toilet is a hassle (I work it into my early morning routine) so I could rationalize "taking it directly overboard" with "well, it IS "natural" waste AND water is SO polluted already AND ...."
In the end, human body waste - and waste in general - is a huge problem over time with population explosion. Only a handful of humans seem concerned with it, particularly in the face of how we "dispose" of waste in general.
What to do?
The direction our "leaders" are taking us "average" humans, a bit o one human's pee into the water hardly seems a major crime.
To circle back (sorry, diverting into "politics" is natural to me)... the hands on nature of composting toilets is a hassle, but it reminds me that, yes, this body is one of many complexities about being human....
LOL!
susgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 16:11   #128

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by susgal View Post
...To circle back (sorry, diverting into "politics" is natural to me)... the hands on nature of composting toilets is a hassle, but it reminds me that, yes, this body is one of many complexities about being human....
LOL!

Uhm... yes??

Tags
head