Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 12:32   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Compostable Head Installation in Vancouver, BC

A few drops of the the toilet cleaner CP keeps the urinal odor down for us, so far. I left a couple of 1/4 filled pee container for the couple weeks we were gone, added a teaspoon of CP to one of them for experiment in odor control before we left. Dumped the pee container yesterday, the CP treated container odor didn't knock me down. The second pee container, not treated, smell was beyond horrible!!

Old 31-08-2013, 14:05   #17

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Haha. "Cleans Potties". Awesome. I've heard a little vinegar in a spray bottle for any other "remnants" left on the #2 side. Diverdude and I are both ER nurses... We aren't squeamish when it comes to such things. He has the added advantage of past sinus surgery tho. Poor sense of smell. Me...not so much. Very acute olfactory sense. But I still think this is how we want to go. Seems so much simpler.
Old 31-08-2013, 14:24   #18

I'm an OR nurse, not squeamish either . But since my brain surgery ( I'm know I know, you are thinking 'that explains a lot' ), my sense of smell is through the roof! Taste buds too. So if it can pass my smell test, it is good! The raritan KO might work even better.
Old 31-08-2013, 14:32   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I have been using a Nature's Way since last October living on my cat full time. It is important to not mix number 1 and number 2, everyone needs to be sitting to pee. It is important to have a good fan running 24/7. I upgraded the 30mm computer fan it came with to a 50mm fan.

No issues while lots of others in the harbor have had issues with their conventional heads. Not saying it does not stink a little when I empty the pee bottle, but compared to what happens when the pump out boats come around it is a non issue.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 14:44   #20

Boat: sabre 28

The holding tank on our 28 was shot so rather than messing with another holding tank I bought a NH. Although our boat is in the back yard still undergoing a major refit, getting rid of the holding tank opened up space to add a water tank in it's place which was important to me on a 28' boat.

I don't think you'll be sorry going w/ a composter.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 15:36   #21

I always wanted to try the composting head idea but I have a question. How's it work when Captain Ron's had a bit too much Captain Morgan? Or do you just have to hang over the rail? Hey, with some of my crew it could be an issue.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 16:32   #22

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I'm totally against composting! It is G-R-O-S-S! Sailing is supposed to be fun and almost care free; not to be tending to a head's smell, overflow, collecting and dumping, cleanup, disinfecting... G-R-O-S-S! Those who advocate composting might as well live on a farm with an outhouse! G-R-O-S-S!

Mauritz
Simplicity and Elegance by Design!
Old 31-08-2013, 16:48   #23

You instigator! :-) go and cuddle up to your 30 or so gallon holding tank and leave us purists alone remember, we can fling it at you, we got the power
Old 31-08-2013, 17:07   #24

Hiya OG! How about a nice Texas yellow rose for your saloon? ---<---@

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 01-09-2013, 14:34   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
I always wanted to try the composting head idea but I have a question. How's it work when Captain Ron's had a bit too much Captain Morgan? Or do you just have to hang over the rail? Hey, with some of my crew it could be an issue.
Have to admit this could be a real problem. Of course the same can be said for a conventional head if too many Capt Rons have too much Capt Morgans.

It does concern me when I see any capt so drunk they have to throw up but that is another issue.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 14:57   #26

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

Have to admit this could be a real problem. Of course the same can be said for a conventional head if too many Capt Rons have too much Capt Morgans.

It does concern me when I see any capt so drunk they have to throw up but that is another issue.
I think it would only be good for a small crew. Like two. But if we are referring to vomit...it's not illegal to throw up overboard these days, is it??? Thats probably next on legal agenda.

I was always told "feed the fish". I've never been seasick (yet!) but I might be guilty of one too many Captain Morgan's. Actually Sailor Jerry was always my man.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00   #27

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Having had many boats and many different heads Ill just say the composter is the way to go for me. Far fewer problems than a wet system and the best part no smell! By the way We live aboard so the head gets used allot. And to address my friend TEKNAVs outhouse comment. It's not like an outhouse at all, just consider a composter a dry holding tank system. OPEN your mind man its the 21st century!
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06   #28

Hiya ShaktisBoy & Hiya Mari! As a teen, I spent my summers on the Mediterranean sea, in a beach front house that had septic tanks; not connected to distant city sewers. These septic tanks used to regularly overflow...the sand above them would be covered with sewage, and the smell resembled that of a waste treatment plant. I also spent a few summers on farms; never got adjusted to the smell of manure. With that in mind, a head/toilet that does not have "normal" sewers/plumbing installation is not for me. When I go on vacation, I do not want to put up with anything resembling my teen years' experiences. I do not mind a small space for the head, but definitely I will not tolerate any bad smell or anything that "piles up" for much much later discharge/pump out. When going on vacation I tend to choose the best facilities, otherwise there's no point in doing otherwise; no skimping while on vacation. Agree or disagree, I hope that we remain friends!

Mauritz
Spoiled to the max, but never rotten!
Old 02-09-2013, 13:22   #29

This might be just for you! It will still stink though...unless you convert it over to dry composting head.
Old 02-09-2013, 13:27   #30

Laughter is the best medicine...

A 75 year old man went to his doctor's office to get a sperm count. The doctor gave the man a jar and said, "Take this jar home and bring me back a sample tomorrow."

The next day the 75 year old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was clean and empty as on the previous day.

The doctor asked, "What happened? Didn't I ask you to bring me back a sperm sample?"

The man went on to explain, "Well doc, it's like this...first I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing. Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, but nothing. Then she tried with her left hand, still nothing.
She even tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with the teeth out, and still nothing.
We even called up the lady next door, Mrs. Kravitz, and she tried with both hands and her mouth too, but nothing."

The doctor was shocked! "You asked your neighbor?", retorted the doctor.

"Yep," said the old man, "... but no matter what we tried we couldn't get the damned jar to open."

Mauritz
Laugh and the world laughs with you...

Tags
head, installation