Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 08:51   #1

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Composter Vent Question

I have been asked by a customer about composting toilets. Although they aren't for me, I realize they can be a good solution for some people on some boats.

But here is my question: For those of you with composting heads, what do you do about the vent when sailing offshore? I have been sailing for days at a time where conditions were rough enough I had to seal off even well designed dorade boxes that were letting green water into the boat.

When it is that gnarly, what do you do about the vent from the composter?

I am pretty sure closing it off is not a viable option, and neither is allowing gallons of sea water in. The composters I have seen have been installed with enough protection to keep rain water out, and not much more than that.

I CAN design an all weather, all sea-state vent... but it's not easy or cheap, and the smaller the boat, the harder that gets.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composter Vent Question

My mushroom vent is on my deck, so I seal it off when seas get "gnarly" . I've never had to go for days with it closed, but probably more than 24hrs. It doesn't make that much difference. It just means the head will vent into the cabin.

You might have to add more bedding material (I use coir) to avoid any odours, especially if the whole boat is locked down. But it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:11   #3

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

You could vent it through a mushroom vent that can be closed in bad weather.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:15   #4

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

I am confused here... if the vent can be "just closed" they why have it in the first place?

In seas big enough to break green over the deck I really do NOT want to come below to be greeted by a stinky toilet. That's a 100% deal-breaker.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:25   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
I am confused here... if the vent can be "just closed" they why have it in the first place?

In seas big enough to break green over the deck I really do NOT want to come below to be greeted by a stinky toilet. That's a 100% deal-breaker.
I'm confused by your confusion . Are you asking if a vent is needed at all? C-head doesn't require it, although it is a slightly different design than Air/Nature's head (which does recommend one). Venting simply assists with the drying process, and also ensures odours are vented to the outside.

As I said, closing the vent for a relatively short time won't make a big difference. It will just vent into the cabin. If this had to happen for many days, then I would probably just add a bit more bedding material to assist with the drying.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:29   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Mike knows his stuff. That’s exactly it. The vent assists in drying. It’s not necessary. More of the “stuff” you dump in dries things out just as well.

When it’s dry, there is absolutely zero odor.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote