Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2024, 11:28   #1

Composting heads.

I’ve got a composting head question. I really like the idea for its simplicity and being able to eliminate through hulls. My question is very specific. I know you have to get the pee in the front part and the pee in the back part and it’s a minor disaster if you don’t. How in a rolling sea do you keep the pee and the poo headed to the right place. It seems an impossible task. Ima husband can aim. I can only imagine it’s even harder for girls. Would some of you composting head owners please weigh in.
Superjunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 11:52   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Composting heads.

The two containers are a little ways apart so it's not that hard. They do recommend men to sit to pee as it's more certain to hit the right container. It is a little harder for women, but if they sit with the right posture for each and don't do both at the same time there's usually no problem. A little extra dribble of moisture in the solids tank doesn't seem to cause any trouble.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 11:54   #3

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

We have ours mounted in a fore/aft location. In the past we tried with a side to side mount. With that you can only pee on the tack that gives you the right slope.

We are happy with our Air Head, the pee bottle is easy to empty.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 12:03   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

We have a C-head which is no longer in business. What I really like about it is the pee jug is literally a milk jug, so extras are basically free. If you want heavier duty a bleach bottle will also work but then the sight gauge doesn't work because you can't see through those. The poo bucket is a 3 gallon paint pail. It was the cheapest one on the market when I bought it probably because they saved so much money not designing and making custom containers.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 12:54   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjunkman View Post
I’ve got a composting head question. I really like the idea for its simplicity and being able to eliminate through hulls. My question is very specific. I know you have to get the pee in the front part and the pee in the back part and it’s a minor disaster if you don’t. How in a rolling sea do you keep the pee and the poo headed to the right place. It seems an impossible task. Ima husband can aim. I can only imagine it’s even harder for girls. Would some of you composting head owners please weigh in.

The way it has been described to me (and there is no point in saying this other than frankly)...

Stay well forward on the seat for the first part, and then move back when number 1 is done and number 2 is critical. Two separate tasks. If you are collecting a poo sample for the Dr. for example, you pee first and only then install the bucket in the toilet.
Old 08-06-2024, 13:00   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjunkman View Post

Not a girl here, but my gal says she has never had an issue with our head: a Nature's Head, oriented fore-aft. The way the pan is designed, things just flow to the right locations, assuming you're seated properly.

Tags
head, posting