Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 00:10   #151

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Composting heads for long term Cruising?

Just a note: urine is sterile only when there is no bladder infection.

Ann
Old 23-09-2015, 00:31   #152
cruiser

Ann,

As a registered health professional, I can tell you with certainty that nobody will contract a bladder infection via another person peeing in the ocean who has a bladder infection. It would be impossible for many reasons.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 01:24   #153

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Just a note: urine is sterile only when there is no bladder infection.

Ann
The idea that any urine, even in a healthy body is sterile is a myth. It's simply not true. Many many studies have been done that even very healthy people have been found to have bacteria present. Of course even less sterile if they have an infection or other medical issue.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 01:25   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Ann,

As a registered health professional, I can tell you with certainty that nobody will contract a bladder infection via another person peeing in the ocean who has a bladder infection. It would be impossible for many reasons.
I don't think Ann was suggesting that Kenomac!
Old 23-09-2015, 06:03   #155

Boat: Scout 30

E.coli bacteria is everywhere in the environment. If the bacteria in our poop was lethal we'd all be dead. The E.coli O157:H7 strain which makes us sick comes from contaminated food.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 06:19   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
E.coli bacteria is everywhere in the environment. If the bacteria in our poop was lethal we'd all be dead. The E.coli O157:H7 strain which makes us sick comes from contaminated food.
Contaminated with what? ahh, contaminated with Ecoli of course. And which particular strain of Ecoli that's in 'poop' is the most serious? �� 0157:H7 of course ��

Ecoli is everywhere in our environment because everything animal poops and in all that poop is Ecoli, which is formed in the gut of humans and animals. Your right that most strains of Ecoli are reasonably harmless, but a number of strains are also exceptionally harmful and the worst of these is 0157:H7 strain.
Old 23-09-2015, 06:57   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Contaminated with what? ahh, contaminated with Ecoli of course. And which particular strain of Ecoli that's in 'poop' is the most serious? �� 0157:H7 of course ��

Ecoli is everywhere in our environment because everything animal poops and in all that poop is Ecoli, which is formed in the gut of humans and animals. Your right that most strains of Ecoli are reasonably harmless, but a number of strains are also exceptionally harmful and the worst of these is 0157:H7 strain.
I'm not an expert but I believe your contention that E.coli is formed in the gut is incorrect. We ingest E.coli, we don't create it although it does flourish in us, as do many strains of bacteria, if we're healthy. We have a symbiotic relationship & cannot live without it or the many other bacteria inside us. It's a particularly strange contradiction that sailors that immerse themselves in nature still cling to the mistaken belief that they're separate from it.
Old 23-09-2015, 15:09   #158

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
The blockages invariably were caused by a paper jam
You must be a wadder, if you fold it seldom blocks.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:55   #159

Quote:
I'm not an expert but I believe your contention that E.coli is formed in the gut is incorrect. We ingest E.coli, we don't create it although it does flourish in us, as do many strains of bacteria, if we're healthy. We have a symbiotic relationship & cannot live without it or the many other bacteria inside us. It's a particularly strange contradiction that sailors that immerse themselves in nature still cling to the mistaken belief that they're separate from it.
I'm not an expert either and I admit it's been over 30 years since I had to learn about it. But the common understanding remains, that Ecoli is flora of the gut. Yes, we ingest it too, but it's already there in the gut. And the only way we ingest it, is because some animal has shat it out. You can't have a healthy gut without Ecoli flora. There is from my memory just one place that one very specific strain of Ecoli has survived entirely separate from the animal gut and that is in some hot springs somewhere.

But, we are both really just discussing semantics now anyway.
Old 23-09-2015, 17:33   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm not an expert either and I admit it's been over 30 years since I had to learn about it. But the common understanding remains, that Ecoli is flora of the gut. Yes, we ingest it too, but it's already there in the gut. And the only way we ingest it, is because some animal has shat it out. You can't have a healthy gut without Ecoli flora. There is from my memory just one place that one very specific strain of Ecoli has survived entirely separate from the animal gut and that is in some hot springs somewhere.

But, we are both really just discussing semantics now anyway.
I was listening to a show on NPR the other day & there was a biologist on who was discussing bacteria. She was talking about E.coli bacteria & went on about how it's really everywhere including all over the outside of our bodies, even our hair. I doubt Australia is as bad as the US but here fear of bacteria is really out of control. It's really amazing how many products designed to kill bacteria are sold here. I think our government would do well to worry less about sailors pumping their poop into the ocean & worry more about the massive amount of antibiotics being fed to our livestock.
Old 23-09-2015, 18:33   #161

My understanding of municipal sewage treatment systems and household septic systems is that basically they hold the sewage in a tank until the naturally occurring bacteria have broken down the feces thereby destroying or rendering any pathogens harmless. If this is so, how long must the material being treated (assume it has been turned into a dilute slurry by maceration) be retained before it reaches this condition?
Old 23-09-2015, 18:34   #162

Quote:
I was listening to a show on NPR the other day & there was a biologist on who was discussing bacteria. She was talking about E.coli bacteria & went on about how it's really everywhere including all over the outside of our bodies, even our hair. I doubt Australia is as bad as the US but here fear of bacteria is really out of control. It's really amazing how many products designed to kill bacteria are sold here. I think our government would do well to worry less about sailors pumping their poop into the ocean & worry more about the massive amount of antibiotics being fed to our livestock.
I would agree with that

I completely agree with legislation and enforcement in rivers, and areas where there is bathing/beaches and also fish farms, especially shell fish and perhaps some detrimental environmental sensative areas. But beyond that, boating is not the cause of any real problems.
Old 23-09-2015, 18:38   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
My understanding of municipal sewage treatment systems and household septic systems is that basically they hold the sewage in a tank until the naturally occurring bacteria have broken down the feces thereby destroying or rendering any pathogens harmless. If this is so, how long must the material being treated (assume it has been turned into a dilute slurry by maceration) be retained before it reaches this condition?

That's true of 'septic' systems, after all that's what the word means. But that's not what happens in municipal systems. Not ours anyway. Though bacteria (septic process) still has a place. Municipalities, especially larger city areas can't have the time, they have to process much larger quanities.
Old 23-09-2015, 18:42   #164

Quote:
Municipalities, especially larger city areas can't have the time, they have to process much larger quanities.
So how do they render them harmless?
Old 23-09-2015, 18:54   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
So how do they render them harmless?
I believe it's a combination of physcial screening, and then processes that differ with chemical and biological aspects. I don't have time to go looking at the moment. But I know our city has repeatedly done a lot of consideration and there's frequently arguments with the city council over funding and types and what's the most modern sort to clean up our **** hole of a river down here. They talk in volumes of water and time to go through the system, which is X amount of litres per 24 hours. So it's very quick.

I read also of a system in Germany or some European country that uses sunlight?

Tags
cruising, head, long term cruising, posting