Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2022, 13:31   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Composting toilet choice

Firstly, yes I know strictly speaking 'composting head' is a misnomer please lets not go down that hole again, dissecting is just harder to spell

Hi all,

Finally about ready to start looking at a composting head after getting rid of the old one and all the nasty hoses.

I installed a Natures Head on my old boat and loved it 8 years ago, but now there seems to be a lot more choice!

- Natures Head https://natureshead.net/
- Airhead https://airheadtoilet.com/
- CHead https://www.c-head.com/
- Ogo https://ogotoilet.com/product/produc...osting-toilet/
- Cuddy https://www.compocloset.com/product-page/cuddy-batch-2
- Biotoi https://www.biotoi.de/shop/

Does anyone have any direct experience of these? I'm especially interested in the bottom three, as they are fairly new.

I quite like the look of the Ogo - the urine level light is a godsend (overflowing the urine container is NOT FUN) and the agitator seems a bit better positioned - although being powered by a motor gives me some pause.

Are there any other brands I've missed?
Old 20-03-2022, 14:07   #2

Re: Composting toilet choice

I only have direct experience with Nature's Head. It's a good sign that there are so many new designs and offerings coming on the market. In addition to the ones you list, there's also Sun-mar and Separett. A search turns up a few other names being sold through Amazon and Home Depot.
Old 20-03-2022, 14:22   #3

Thanks Mike, I tried to add them to the OP but I guess it stops you editing a post after a certain amount of time
Old 20-03-2022, 14:53   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We’ve owned the Airhead, Nature’s Head and C-Head, we prefer the C-Head but honestly can’t go wrong with any of them.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 15:03   #5

Is C-head still in business? I wanted to purchase 2 of them last fall. I had a few questions. Sent them no less than 4 emails and left 2 voice messages and still have not received any response.
JEBtrois
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 15:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
Is C-head still in business? I wanted to purchase 2 of them last fall. I had a few questions. Sent them no less than 4 emails and left 2 voice messages and still have not received any response.
JEBtrois

On another composting thread, someone else made a similar query. I recall that someone confirmed they are still in business. They appear to have been having issues with production given all the pandemic and supply chain problems. Give them another try perhaps.
Old 20-03-2022, 15:16   #7

Boat: Catalina 350

We have 2 C-heads and we like them a lot. What I like the most about the C-head is its simplicity. It just works, and uses a standard toilet seat. Venting is optional and likely not needed.

I took a look at your links and watched a little bit of the ogo video. What I noticed right off the bat is the lack of any kind of real seat on it. Also, the solids area has a ledge all the way around. I can see having to clean that regularly. I know the trap door makes it look more "presentable" but in reality, that's not a necessary thing to have, and something else to clean. I also have my doubts on needing or even wanting an electric agitator.

I liked the next one better, but it looks like it's still an indegogo project in development. This one uses less electricity than the Ogo above.

While I like our C-heads, if you had a great experience with your previous Nature's head, I'd recommend getting another one.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 18:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
We have 2 C-heads and we like them a lot. What I like the most about the C-head is its simplicity. It just works, and uses a standard toilet seat. Venting is optional and likely not needed.

I took a look at your links and watched a little bit of the ogo video. What I noticed right off the bat is the lack of any kind of real seat on it. Also, the solids area has a ledge all the way around. I can see having to clean that regularly. I know the trap door makes it look more "presentable" but in reality, that's not a necessary thing to have, and something else to clean. I also have my doubts on needing or even wanting an electric agitator.

I liked the next one better, but it looks like it's still an indegogo project in development. This one uses less electricity than the Ogo above.

While I like our C-heads, if you had a great experience with your previous Nature's head, I'd recommend getting another one.
Interesting points - I guess I'm used to the trap door as the natures head had one as well
Old 20-03-2022, 18:33   #9

Thanks for the feedback Mike...I solved my problem back in the fall, but I am glad to hear they are still around. Most compost head users like the one they picked. I picked the CHead and would still buy one when my current solution needs to be replaced.
Jebtrois
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 08:27   #10

Boat: Catalina 350

Just saw a nice review of the OGO here:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...as.1249932871/

It could change my view of the design.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 09:49   #11

These are some very nice toilets. When my 40yo jabsco head croaked, rather that try and rebuild it, I opted to go composting. I went ghettofabulous with a 3gal bucket (height requirements with the marine mount pedestal) and a 3d printed parts kit from etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/JohnnyCompostToilets).

Cheap, simple, ugly.
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 10:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
Just saw a nice review of the OGO here:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...as.1249932871/
Good find! Funny that the buyer obviously followed my ogo question thread here. So far, he seems happy. But the real test will of course come later when he uses the toilet for real. -- I hope that alctel will decide on the Ogo... as I would be most interested in his experiences. Even more so as he could compare with another make.

Regarding electric: at first this was a negative point for me. But now I think that it simplifies the mechanic. And a possible defect would be non-critical as the toilet would just fall back to a more primitive non-maceration "processing".
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 11:04   #13

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

desiccating

I can only speak to our experience since September of last year with the Nature's Head. We wouldn't go back.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 12:10   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I have a C-head, purchased 5 years ago and it works well for us. Had a look at the site and I cannot believe how the price has risen!!! We paid just a bit over $500 for ours 5 years ago. The same model is now almost $900!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 12:24   #15

It's great to see so many choices now on the market. It really underscores my perception that these heads are increasing in popularity and use. They're still a minority, but a growing one (I believe).

With all these new choices it's important to understand the differences each bring. It would be good to see a head-to-head () comparison of basic stats, which to me are tank volumes (main and urine), overall size, use of churner, venting (or not), and ease of dumping.

Bin size in particular is rather important since it determines the length of time between when one has to empty things. Some, like Nature's and Air, have large bins. Others, like C-head and I think most of the new entries, have smaller ones. This drives the need (or not) for active venting and churning.

When I was buying my head oh so many years ago now, the only three I was aware of were: Air Head, Nature's Head and Sun-mar. I ended up picking Nature's Head because it had the largest holding bins (just slightly larger than Air), and was lower cost.

Tags
oil, posting, toilet