Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 11:53   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: "Composting" toilet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Sailing View Post
With the Air Head you have the option of door open or closed. As a woman, I RARELY have the patience or skill to go with the door open. My husband almost always makes "direct deposits" without the filter with the door open. With the filter there is no aiming. Go, the liquids filter out into the correct liquids container, pull the lever, the filter and solids go into the solids container. No aiming. It's preferable offshore or anytime the boat is moving, even if you can normally aim.
I wonder if Nature’s Head has a larger trap door than Air Head? I can’t see the dimensions on either website, but filters are not suggested by NH. None of the users (female or male) of our head over six years have ever had a problem hitting the target (at least not that I’m aware of). You could use a filter with NH if you wanted, but it has never been necessary on our boat.

There’s really no aiming involved, even at high heel. But I guess that could be affected by the type of boat, and the positioning of the head.

The designs of these heads are aimed at standard sized adults, so I do wonder if small children, and perhaps very petit or large adults, would be challenged. I dunno … it’s just never come up as an issue for us.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:57   #47

Location: East coast USA; temperature controlled, north in summer and south in winter
Boat: 53' Skookum pilothouse cutter

Davidhoy

I like your fittings. My space is tight and I used a 90 street elbow but have to reattach the hose when I change urine bottles.

To clarify, the Natures Head has a seat cover and a bomb door (hatch). Bomb door is closed all the time unless pooping. If a coffee filter is used when pooping the filter goes on top of the closed hatch until job is complete. Then lever is moved, hatch opens and filter, poop and TP disappears. If you are squeamish you do not to see any more than a regular toilet. We haven’t used the filter since the first couple of weeks.

When I poop with the hatch open the only odor is like garden dirt except what I vented during the job, again just like a regular toilet.
NRbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:50   #48

Boat: Catalina 470

Just a quick shout-out to the folks at Nature's Head for outstanding customer service. I needed a longer vent hose, and the guy I spoke with was extremely helpful, explaining why it's a good idea to add a fan about halfway along a longer hose to keep the air moving. Then he turned around and added two fans and some other extra bits to my order at no extra charge. Customer service like that deserves recognition!

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:54   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Just a quick shout-out to the folks at Nature's Head for outstanding customer service. I needed a longer vent hose, and the guy I spoke with was extremely helpful, explaining why it's a good idea to add a fan about halfway along a longer hose to keep the air moving. Then he turned around and added two fans and some other extra bits to my order at no extra charge. Customer service like that deserves recognition!

-David
Ditto on that. A few years ago I had a problem with the little fan. Got buggered up from dust (the head was too dry). I sent NH a note, simply inquiring about the issue.

Before I even had a chance to request anything they sent me TWO complete fan housings at ZERO cost. I hadn’t even asked for the part, and would have been fully prepared to pay for the items.

Great customer service.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55   #50

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:

-David
Absolutely! Larry, the owner, answered all my emails personally when I was purchasing and bent over backwards to help me get the product into Brazil the fastest and cheapest way. The company is outstanding and their composter is, in my opinion, the best. One of the very few things in the marine market that "works as advertised."
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 13:10   #51
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

-David

I agree, great customer service and he has a good sense of humor as well!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 13:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I agree, great customer service and he has a good sense of humor as well!
Speaking of humor, I bought my NH unit new in-the-box from a guy who is now running for political office. Seems appropriate to buy something to s#!t in from a politician ;-)

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 01-03-2018, 13:44   #53

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Sailing View Post
With the Air Head you have the option of door open or closed. As a woman, I RARELY have the patience or skill to go with the door open. My husband almost always makes "direct deposits" without the filter with the door open. With the filter there is no aiming. Go, the liquids filter out into the correct liquids container, pull the lever, the filter and solids go into the solids container. No aiming. It's preferable offshore or anytime the boat is moving, even if you can normally aim.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-03-2018, 14:16   #54

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:

-David
Always good to hear!
We hear & experience such horror stories when it comes to customer service, that it's great to hear when a particular company understands what a difference it makes!

Thanks,
Old 04-11-2018, 09:40   #55

Boat: Broadblue 42

We are considering replacing our current holding tank system with Nature's Head. Your posts have been helpful in our decision to go with NH.

Our question is about the vent hose which is 1.5". We would like to vent the NH hose through the same vent opening as the holding tank vent which measures 5/8". Any suggestions/issues? Thanks.
Amihan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43   #56

Did the same thing initially with a reducer, but we had humidity issues so we removed the pump out fitting on the deck and installed a vetus mushroom vent in it's place to have more air flow
Antilag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amihan59 View Post
We are considering replacing our current holding tank system with Nature's Head. Your posts have been helpful in our decision to go with NH.

Our question is about the vent hose which is 1.5". We would like to vent the NH hose through the same vent opening as the holding tank vent which measures 5/8". Any suggestions/issues? Thanks.
Also have a NH. Good choice .

My sense is the vent hole is too small. I don’t think it will give you enough air flow. Maybe if unless you significantly upgrade the fan, but even then I’d be concerned.

I too did as Antilag; just use the pump out fitting with a mushroom vent. Works great.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:24   #58

Depending upon the length of the vent hose, you may need to add another fan in the middle of the run to ensure good flow. I got this advice directly from NH customer support when I ordered longer hose.

-David
Old 06-11-2018, 13:20   #59

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

What do you think of this innovation supported by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-ga...to-save-lives/

Although planned first for poor countries sanitation where water and treatment are problematic we perfectly fit this population - only that we are so rich to travel on our own 40’ sail yachts...
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 19:50   #60

Boat: Hunter 420

Thanks for all the information on the composting heads. I would like to convert the forward head on our Hunter 420 to a composting head since the macerator pump needs to be changed and since I will have some hoses disconnected anyway...
But my beautiful partner is nervous about the stirring of "Satan's brownie batter" every time she goes (I'm sure she will realize it is not that bad), and I am nervous about installing a composting toilet in a "wet head". We don't have a separate shower so both of our heads are "wet" and we do shower onboard most of the time. Would the additional humidity be an issue with a composting head?
sdutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting