Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 20:20   #61

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: "Composting" toilet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdutton View Post
Thanks for all the information on the composting heads. I would like to convert the forward head on our Hunter 420 to a composting head since the macerator pump needs to be changed and since I will have some hoses disconnected anyway...
But my beautiful partner is nervous about the stirring of "Satan's brownie batter" every time she goes (I'm sure she will realize it is not that bad), and I am nervous about installing a composting toilet in a "wet head". We don't have a separate shower so both of our heads are "wet" and we do shower onboard most of the time. Would the additional humidity be an issue with a composting head?
I don't see it being an issue. Your head will be exhausting air out of the head to the exterior. If you had natures head and it did become a problem you could draw air in from another location too if need be.

Also, how humid is your head? I would say I would be concerned if humidity stayed 90% or higher on a consistent basis
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 20:59   #62

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Regarding the wet shower...just be careful to keep the head seat down during a shower. The vent fan on the head will do wonders for pulling the moist air out after a shower, probably reducing the concern for mold in.tbe shower. I don't expect any negative impact on the composting head as long as liquid water does not splash into the Satan Brownie Bucket
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:24   #63
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdutton View Post
Thanks for all the information on the composting heads. I would like to convert the forward head on our Hunter 420 to a composting head since the macerator pump needs to be changed and since I will have some hoses disconnected anyway...
But my beautiful partner is nervous about the stirring of "Satan's brownie batter" every time she goes (I'm sure she will realize it is not that bad), and I am nervous about installing a composting toilet in a "wet head". We don't have a separate shower so both of our heads are "wet" and we do shower onboard most of the time. Would the additional humidity be an issue with a composting head?
When we first got a composting toilet (Nature's Head) we put it in the house for a month to figure out how to use it; how much peat to add, how often to remove compost, how wet to allow it to get and so on.

It was in a large warm bathroom but unvented (insect screen over the intake and outlet tubes). It worked really well, we were very impressed. It's only as unpleasant as changing kitty litter, imo.

It makes excellent compost for the flower garden, Satan isn't going to get anything from us...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 12:46   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
When we first got a composting toilet (Nature's Head) we put it in the house for a month to figure out how to use it; how much peat to add, how often to remove compost, how wet to allow it to get and so on.

It was in a large warm bathroom but unvented (insect screen over the intake and outlet tubes). It worked really well, we were very impressed. It's only as unpleasant as changing kitty litter, imo.

It makes excellent compost for the flower garden, Satan isn't going to get anything from us...
Anyone else with experience using their composter without the vent hose also with a solar vent. May not be a clean way to run the exhaust hose from the head on this small boat. Really want to get rid of the holding tank as PO wiped out the hanging locker to install the tank.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 13:08   #65

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Anyone else with experience using their composter without the vent hose also with a solar vent. May not be a clean way to run the exhaust hose from the head on this small boat. Really want to get rid of the holding tank as PO wiped out the hanging locker to install the tank.
You can vent the Natures Head directly to the solar vent with the flange that comes with the toilet. Mine is vented like this, using the muffin fan in the toilet and the solar fan (during the day anyway- the battery has long since failed...).

Venting is not essential, but it helps to dry things out. It's worth installing it.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting