Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 10:56   #121

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36
Re: Composting toilets or wet sewage systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Actually, to each his own. This kind of remark is exactly what Mike was referring to.
It.was.a.joke. To lay waste and desecrate. Maybe you should look at my post history.

No need to find it funny, but aggroing friendlies is not exactly holding up your side.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:40   #122

Boat: Scout 30

As one of the animals using a litter box I have to say it's been a positive change for us. No worries about rebuilding the head, replacing smelly hoses, making sure the holding tank isn't leaking & the vent is open, checking the seacocks, looking for a functional pump out station or worrying about being legal. No discharge - no worries.

I'm 62 now & I've had & used marine heads since I was 6. There's nothing Peggie or anyone else can tell me about a marine head that I don't already know and I couldn't care less what she or anybody else thinks about our choice.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:54   #123

Boat: Rafiki 37

I conducted a poll last year asking which head people have on board. At current count it shows that 24% of respondents are using a composting system.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ve-184086.html

I predict this percentage will continue to grow as more people come to understand the strengths of this type of sanitation system.
Old 19-02-2018, 12:55   #124

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I conducted a poll last year asking which head people have on board. At current count it shows that 24% of respondents are using a composting system.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ve-184086.html

I predict this percentage will continue to grow as more people come to understand the strengths of this type of sanitation system.
There's got to be a ton of selection bias in that stat. In the boats I see crossing the Pacific I doubt the number with composting heads is even 5%. I've known 3 cruising boats with composting heads. The first guy was a real evangelical about composting heads. A few years latter he removed it. The second is on his second season and has told me the jury is still out. The third is an extremely experienced circumnavigation couple who really like there composting setup. It did look like they have a lot of coconut husk storage on-board.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 12:57   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhu View Post
BabyWipes in a composting toilet ?

? where did you find biodegradable BabyWipes ? = interested !
We don't actually do any secondary composting, so desiccating toilet is a better description. Thus no issues with whatever ending up in there.

But Google suggests that in Australia at least, cotton based compostable wet wipes are available from the supermarket. eBay seems to have a lot of options too, but that might vary depending on your location.
handmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 12:59   #126

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
It.was.a.joke. To lay waste and desecrate. Maybe you should look at my post history.

No need to find it funny, but aggroing friendlies is not exactly holding up your side.
If it was a joke, I apologise. It is more the tone of the thread that skewed my interpretation of your post.
Old 19-02-2018, 13:16   #127

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
There's got to be a ton of selection bias in that stat. In the boats I see crossing the Pacific I doubt the number with composting heads is even 5%. I've known 3 cruising boats with composting heads. The first guy was a real evangelical about composting heads. A few years latter he removed it. The second is on his second season and has told me the jury is still out. The third is an extremely experienced circumnavigation couple who really like there composting setup. It did look like they have a lot of coconut husk storage on-board.
You bet … many levels of bias/self-selection going on here. The best we can say is 24% of CF users who are interested enough in poop claim they have a composter. No where near a statistically sound selection, but at least it’s better than individual anecdotes and personal observations.

I ran the poll b/c of the line you just gave: that it can’t be more than 5%. I was quite surprised where the compost number came in. I was expecting perhaps 10%. I was also surprised at the low number for Type II systems, as well the “other” category. Not sure what those people are doing .
Old 20-02-2018, 04:24   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It was a simple poll of who on the cruiser forum uses what kind of head. No selection bias. Then you disregard the results in favor of your own personal anecdotal evidence. There's your bias.
Old 20-02-2018, 05:12   #129
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

This is an amusing discussion.

What I find a little bit shocking is the inability of so many people to make a simple hand-pumped plumbing system like the typical marine flushing head and MSD work without it stinking or causing all the myriad problems they have with them. This isn't rocket science, it's just the reverse. The "head mistress" lays out the steps in a fairly simple and easy to follow system in her book, but apparently is just too hard compared to going back to a litter box. IMHO the flush toilet is what makes modern civilization "modern."

So I guess I'm finally starting to get that many people just have a hard time with simple machines.

Now I have to wonder how these same people can even keep a marine diesel engine running with any degree of dependability, which is a few orders of magnitude more complex and requiring a much finer degree of expertise with smaller margins for error and tighter tolerances.

BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 05:29   #130
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Composting toilets or wet sewage systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post

What I find a little bit shocking is the inability of so many people to make a simple hand-pumped plumbing system like the typical marine flushing head and MSD work without it stinking or causing all the myriad problems they have with them. This isn't rocket science, it's just the reverse. The "head mistress" lays out the steps in a fairly simple and easy to follow system in her book, but apparently is just too hard compared to going back to a litter box. IMHO the flush toilet is what makes modern civilization "modern."

So I guess I'm finally starting to get that many people just have a hard time with simple machines.

Now I have to wonder how these same people can even keep a marine diesel engine running with any degree of dependability, which is a few orders of magnitude more complex and requiring a much finer degree of expertise with smaller margins for error and tighter tolerances.

Been on your boat before and it reeked of stinking head. I’m also guessing you have no experience with a composting system and probably very little experience with owning and maintaining your own system full time. I may be wrong.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 05:31   #131

Quote:

It's so simple someone wrote a book about how to maintain it. A book about how to maintain a composting head would be 1 page. And FYI, we don't change because we can't maintain the system, we change because we don't want to. Here's an idea, keep your condescending insults to yourself.
Old 20-02-2018, 05:34   #132

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
It's so simple someone wrote a book about how to maintain it. A book about how to maintain a composting head would be 1 page. And FYI, we don't change because we can't maintain the system, we change because we don't want to. Here's an idea, keep your condescending insults to yourself.
*DITTO*
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 05:49   #133
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Been on your boat before and it reeked of stinking head. I’m also guessing you have no experience with a composting system and probably very little experience with owning and maintaining your own system full time. I may be wrong, I just get that feeling from looking through your Facebook and webpage.
Yup it stunk when we got the boat. The only thing that is original is the Raritan head and the tank (which was never used).

One big thing to get rid of the stink was to sand the raw fiberglass strands that were behind the head where the head mounting platform was glassed to the hull. After sanding the entire head floor and repainting with a high-gloss topside paint that has been a huge improvement.

Totally replumbing the boat after taking out the reeking old hoses was big too, as well as making sure there was no place for standing effluent to sit. No low spots. Running a 1" secondary vent line from the tank was amazing too. Now I can just flush the vent out with a hose, so it doesn't get plugged and has great cross-ventilation.

It took a little work to fix right. But in the last two seasons using the head living aboard nearly full time

BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 06:00   #134
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Composting toilets or wet sewage systems

Quote:
Yup it stunk when we got the boat. The only thing that is original is the Raritan head and the tank (which was never used).

One big thing to get rid of the stink was to sand the raw fiberglass strands that were behind the head where the head mounting platform was glassed to the hull. After sanding the entire head floor and repainting with a high-gloss topside paint that has been a huge improvement.

Totally replumbing the boat after taking out the reeking old hoses was big too, as well as making sure there was no place for standing effluent to sit. No low spots. Running a 1" secondary vent line from the tank was amazing too. Now I can just flush the vent out with a hose, so it doesn't get plugged and has great cross-ventilation.

It took a little work to fix right. But in the last two seasons using the head living aboard nearly full time

Or you could have installed a composter and had no worries about future odors. But I understand the composting system isn’t for everyone and I try to RESPECT others choices, though sometimes I admit I may not come across that way.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 06:52   #135
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Play nice. Bickering doesn't help acceptance.

I've known several people who took composting heads out because they could not get them to operate properly. Bugs, smell, tiered of handling media. They found pump heads simpler. Perhaps a book is needed covering possible mistakes, because there apparently are some.

That said, I'm here because I am interested and I believe the idea has strong merits. No condescension at all.

[What maintenance? Replace hoses 15 years if good quality (2 hours). Replace pump 5 years (15 minutes). Neither task is mesh if you flush clean water first. Clogging? Never had one, I suspect most have to do with poorly designed plumbing or the wrong TP. Push button to pump out (pump not serviced in 24 years). No stink, believe it or don't. I will accept the claim that composting units can be operated without stink if you will extend equal courtesy.]

Tags
oil, posting