Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:10   #16

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
someone said 300:1 ratio,

I have a 60' wood ketch, before I epoxy sheather the decks, the washdown pump was used every day sometimes twice a day, damn teak decks are HOT to walk on. So I guess I had a 1:300 ratio. Wood boats hate fresh water.
Old 09-09-2010, 19:53   #17

When choosing your salt water wash down pump, I would suggest you try to match it up with your fresh water pump if possible. We use a Par Max 4 pump for both. Although it is not recommended for "salty work" it has lasted for 8 yrs with usage of 80-90 days per yr. Makes stocking spare parts a lot simpler.
Old 11-09-2010, 16:48   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
In my v-birth is a sink that is never used. I see that a lot of people tee into the head's thru-hull, but could you do the same with the sinks drain? Would I have to install a y-valve instead, or would a simple tee work?
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45   #19

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
a y-valve, or else your toilet with either suck air when you try to flush, unless you have an airtight plug that you vow never to lose.

Or spew $h!t into the sink. Depends where you put the y-valve.

Kris
Old 12-09-2010, 08:49   #20

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Our Ingrid has a Jabsco pump mounted in a box on the deck at the stern with a bit of hose for the suction that you drop into the water over the side. A simple garden hose with a nozzle works for the washdown, shower, fish cleaning and whatever else you need. No additional through hull fittings, simple to maintain and effective.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:01   #21

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zarley View Post
When choosing your salt water wash down pump, I would suggest you try to match it up with your fresh water pump if possible. We use a Par Max 4 pump for both. Although it is not recommended for "salty work" it has lasted for 8 yrs with usage of 80-90 days per yr. Makes stocking spare parts a lot simpler.
We did just that on our last cruise. We bought a spare water pump of the same model as the house and mounted it in a Rubbermaid square container with extensions of the input and output fittings run through the sides and a long extension cord that wound up inside and hooked to a 12 v outlet. We just threw the input over the side, plugged it in and hooked it to a hose and it worked great. If we ever needed the pump we figured we could use a bucket until we could repair or resupply.

We have a dedicated one below decks now with an outlet up by the windlass and it is nice but I wouldn't have put another hole in the boat if it hadn't come with it already installed since we had such good luck with the portable.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:44   #22

Boat: Beneteau 393
We use the bucket/rope combo. We just leave the mud there on the bow, helps offset the "Dock-Queen" stigma.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:17   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Never ever share a wash down pump with an engine or generator inlet.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It took two solid days for me to install, wire and plumb the washdown pump on my last boat, and I probably used it three times in the eight years I cruised that boat. Fifteen hours of labor yielded maybe three minutes of actual use, which I figure conservatively is a 300/1 installation-to-use ratio. Hardly a work-saving device! Therefore, when we commissioned the new boat, we decided that a bucket with a rope would save considerable labor over the long haul. So far, having owned the "new" boat for four years now, I've yet to be in a situation where the bucket didn't work just fine.
Well. We have been using the bucket-on-a-rope method for a year now. I don't share your rosy view of it, especially with our two meters of freeboard at the bow, and considerable area of teak deck pining away for salt water every day. Installing a washdown pump is high on my list of chores.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:31   #25

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Configuring a Salt Water Washdown System

Figured I would revive this old thread instead of starting a new one.

Pretty much the same question. I would like to install a washdown pump on our boat. In 3 years, the only reason I can see to use it is to clean the bird poop off (although I can see other uses down the line). Seems like every 2-3 trips down to the boat, there is more poop on it..and it is a PITA with the bucket/rope and hours (or so it seems) of cleaning. I just want to be able to hook a garden hose up to it when I need to use it.

Any reason not to share the through hull with the water intake for the motor (above it is mentioned NOT to, but no reason given). I would assume properly installed and valved off, it should be safe. I like it for a clean, elegant install. I was going to T off it and valve it before the pump.

I could go with the throw a section of hose over the side and suck the water up, but would the washdown pump have enough oooph to suck water up over the gunnel if it isn't primed and to the pump without wearing it out? This would be safest (no cutting/valving of water intake) for the boat, but not sure if it is the best choice. Less elegant, but safer, if the pump can prime itself
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21   #26

Boat: Pearson 422

I'm in the middle of the installation process. I'm opting to Tee off the intake for the forward head to get water to the washdown pump. I am planning to put a check valve on the head side just to isolate everything.

FYI - I've also decided to install the pump switch inside the anchor locker where the hose fitting will be. The thought is I can turn the pump on and off without running down to the panel. Seems more convenient.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Figured I would revive this old thread instead of starting a new one.

Pretty much the same question. I would like to install a washdown pump on our boat. In 3 years, the only reason I can see to use it is to clean the bird poop off (although I can see other uses down the line). Seems like every 2-3 trips down to the boat, there is more poop on it..and it is a PITA with the bucket/rope and hours (or so it seems) of cleaning. I just want to be able to hook a garden hose up to it when I need to use it.

Any reason not to share the through hull with the water intake for the motor (above it is mentioned NOT to, but no reason given). I would assume properly installed and valved off, it should be safe. I like it for a clean, elegant install. I was going to T off it and valve it before the pump.
If you use the wash down pump at the same time as the engine there is the potential to starve the engines of water.

One other important item that know one has mentioned is to make sure that the hose used on the suction end of the pump is metal reinforced. The PO didn't do this on my boat so that when I turned it on the pump the hose collapsed and then tried to keep on sucking and eventually blew a fuse.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt water