Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 01:53   #1

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Danfoss/Secop BD35 to Eutectic plate?

I installed a Waeco DIY fridge unit to replace an old engine driven compressor/eutectic plate setup a few years back and as fate would have it, a leaky manual bilge pump dripped water onto the aluminium to copper joint of the compressor to evaporator plate, filling it full of pinholes and leaking all the gas out

At the cost buy a new evaporator plate and then to get someone out to re-gas the compressor, it's easier to pony up the bit extra and buy a new pre-gassed compressor and evaporator plate package and replace the whole shooting match.

It just so happens, I have another fridge on the boat that still has its eutectic plate in place. The idea occurred to me that maybe I can swap this plate to the other fridge and connect the compressor to it and get it re-gassed for a cheap fix. I can see some advantages in having a eutectic holding plate

Possible?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 05:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Danfoss/Secop BD35 to Eutectic plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I installed a Waeco DIY fridge unit to replace an old engine driven compressor/eutectic plate setup a few years back and as fate would have it, a leaky manual bilge pump dripped water onto the aluminium to copper joint of the compressor to evaporator plate, filling it full of pinholes and leaking all the gas out

At the cost buy a new evaporator plate and then to get someone out to re-gas the compressor, it's easier to pony up the bit extra and buy a new pre-gassed compressor and evaporator plate package and replace the whole shooting match.

It just so happens, I have another fridge on the boat that still has its eutectic plate in place. The idea occurred to me that maybe I can swap this plate to the other fridge and connect the compressor to it and get it re-gassed for a cheap fix. I can see some advantages in having a eutectic holding plate

Possible?
If eutectic plate and refrigerant flow control system is compatible with BD35 condensing/compressor unit, it would be possible, but probably not a cheap DIY fix.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 05:46   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Danfoss/Secop BD35 to Eutectic plate?

All that's left of the original system is the eutectic plate so none of the other gear is left and the Waeco compressor unit. Might not be feasible then. I like the idea that the fridge could be left to cool during the day and be off during the night.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote