Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2022, 12:07   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Dealing with existing polypropylene tubing

New to me boat with some freshwater plumbing problems. The existing tubing appears to be polypropylene. The boat was built in 1999 which was after polybutylene pipe was discontinued but before PEX was widely available, so that makes sense. The tubing is terminated with compression fittings, like the one in the photo, that use a stainless steel "grabber" ring together with a rubber cone washer. In a few cases, polybutylene (Qest) fittings have been retrofitted.

I have a number of plumbing repairs to complete. I have to repipe the connections to the water pump, add a bypass to the water heater, and replace some fixtures. The fittings are deteriorated with the rubber washers not remaining supple enough to reuse reliably. I will be replacing portions of the plumbing with PEX as I go but do not wish to replace every water line on the boat at this point.

Any experience making connections to this type of tubing? Sharkbite fittings? PEX fittings? Or shall I try buying new polypropylene compression fittings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poly.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	265305  
Old 04-10-2022, 13:01   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Dealing with existing polypropylene tubing

Push fit shark bite typically.
Old 04-10-2022, 13:42   #3

Boat: Deerfoot 62

I personally had a good experience with PEX-A cold expansion fittings. The tubing is flexible, have greater flow, and they do not leak.
Alex A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 15:11   #4

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
New to me boat with some freshwater plumbing problems. The existing tubing appears to be polypropylene. The boat was built in 1999 which was after polybutylene pipe was discontinued but before PEX was widely available, so that makes sense. The tubing is terminated with compression fittings, like the one in the photo, that use a stainless steel "grabber" ring together with a rubber cone washer. In a few cases, polybutylene (Qest) fittings have been retrofitted.

I have a number of plumbing repairs to complete. I have to repipe the connections to the water pump, add a bypass to the water heater, and replace some fixtures. The fittings are deteriorated with the rubber washers not remaining supple enough to reuse reliably. I will be replacing portions of the plumbing with PEX as I go but do not wish to replace every water line on the boat at this point.

Any experience making connections to this type of tubing? Sharkbite fittings? PEX fittings? Or shall I try buying new polypropylene compression fittings?
Yes, I have used the Sharkbite fittings successfully with the polypropylene tubing.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 19:21   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

You can get the fittings you now have from US Plastics

https://www.usplastic.com/
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote