Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2008, 11:45   #1

Boat: Alura 30
Dehumidifier

This time of the year in Florida it is extremely hard tokeep Mildew out of your boat.What type of dehumidifier are you using? JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 12:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
A reverse cycle air conditioning unit does a great job winter and summer. Many have dehumidify settings that work in both hot and cold climates. They also include a method for removing the condensate from the boat so it does not continue to be recycled in the air.

Without good air circulation you are going to be starting a science project growing in all the far reaches of your boat. It's almsot as bad in cold climates in the winter as it is in hot climates in the summer. A basic home dehumidifier works but lacks the air flow component.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 14:44   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I found a couple other threads on this subject and purchased a SoleusAir 25 unit this month. So far, so good. YMMV. (about $170 or so, I forget exactly). Attractive features.... quiet, low wattage (200) and ability to operate down to 38F.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 16:52   #4

Search for "Windchaser", I use a small one on my boat and it works well.

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:00   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
we too have been using the SoleusAir for about a year now and love it. It keeps the boat dry and is whisper quiet. We found the best price at Amazon.com but look around. The down side is it does put out a bit of heat in the form of warm air at the discharge. Great for the cool days and nights but does warm up the cabin on those warmer days.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:04   #6
cruiser

I'm the guy that spread the Soleus Air virus on here... haha

The thing lasted longer than I owned my boat. I'll be bringing it back out of storage and putting it in the new boat.

Very quiet, economical, and the best on power usage. I think the 200 watts is on target if I remember correctly.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 18:49   #7

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
I found a couple other threads on this subject and purchased a SoleusAir 25 unit this month. So far, so good. YMMV. (about $170 or so, I forget exactly). Attractive features.... quiet, low wattage (200) and ability to operate down to 38F.
Where do you place your dehumidifier on your cat - in the main saloon? Or did you buy two? I recently bought a couple of those West Marine Air Dryers (on sale at $50 each) and placed one in each hull. Probably could use two more - one for each berth. They don't accumulate the moisture but instead put out a gentle heat with a quiet fan.

I was told the Windchasers were discontinued?
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 20:03   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I keep it under the dinette on the bridgedeck and the hatch to the port hull/galley open at night. (I button up the stateroom and run an electric heater on my side at night... it's better that way :-)
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfNRG View Post
... I was told the Windchasers were discontinued?
Nope.
Windchaser climate control products:
WINDCHASER - HOMEPAGE

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:14   #10

Boat: Alura 30
We have reverse cycle air conditionning on our cat,one unit for each side,but I don,t like to run it when we are not on the boat. one loose clamp,any kind of malfunction and you will sink your boat.....I don't think the bilge pump could keep up with the amount of water that comes out of the AC water pump">raw water pump.this is why I am looking for a dehumidifier.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:05   #11

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I have Mighty-Dri unit made by Arrow Pneumatics which I leave running when I am not on the boat. It works well and I have it positioned over the galley sink which drains straight overboard. It weighs about 20 Lbs has a stainless case and a suitcase type handle on top. Measures something like 12X16X12". It has worked well in So. Louisiana where humidity is high year round.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 18:55   #12

Boat: Irwin MK III 37 Questeria
Dehumidifiers

We have a SoleisAir dehumidifier. It does a great job, and we like the fact that we can attach a hose and let it drain into the galley sink when we are not on the boat. The only thing we do not like about it is that if we lose power for a second, it does not come back on until you press a button.
Ron_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote