Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 19:39   #1

Boat: Moody 419 CC
Desperate for advice to replace head hoses on 1986 419 CC

Hello. I have a 1986 Moody CC 419. No zero about plumbing. Not clear what the layout of the hoses currently is. Has anyone attempted this prior on similar boat.... and how much demo can I expect to have to do to tear the boat apart to get at/replace the hoses.

As other option, what could i expect to pay for the job if unable to do it myself. Ok with the hard work, but afraid may get in over my head. Haven't had any success finding anyone that does this kind of work.

Can't stand another year with a smelly boat. any advice is appreciated.
SAOIRSE419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Desperate for advice to replace head hoses on 1986 419 CC

There is nothing worse then a stinky boat .I was at the Annapolis boat show a couple of years ago and went aboard a beautiful Passport 61 , just a few years old and listed for over a million, it stunk inside !! Bad cheap hoses that permeate and stink up any boat.

The solution is not really that hard but it does take some awkward positions and patients . Get all the old hose out. You will be surprised at how bad it smells . You shouldn't have to tear apart and cabinetry to accomplish this , just elbow grease and a heat gun to warm up the hose so it will slip off of there flanges.

Now comes the painful part , the cost of premium hose !! Something like this . Don't put cheap hose back in , it will stink up in no time .

Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose

But this will cure your problem and good hose should last a very very long time . So you will only have to do this once .

Best of luck

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:56   #3

Boat: Moody 425

If the 419 is anything like the 425 you will probably have to remove some cabinetry. Not all that difficult. Also, ask this same question on the Moody owners site.
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 09:35   #4

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

When I bought my 37' Dickerson my broker told me "There's a holding tank smell" which I immediately took to mean *discount*.

We were both right. I tried to hammer it with all sorts of cures but nothing was fixing the smell. I took a hot wet rag to the hoses and smelled it. Yep. The previous owner had left boat on the hard for 2 years without cleaning the tank.

So 2 winters ago I ripped the holding tank out, mine is small, 10 gals. I powerwashed what I could from inside & outside. Then I filled it with about 2 bags of ice (this was february) and a gallon of Purple Power industrial degreaser. Drove around like this for 3 weeks in the bed of my truck making sure to hit every pothole. Periodically I would have to refesh the ice which acted like a scrubbie inside.

In terms of replacing hose, it's not difficult just takes a little while. I'm not 100% sure about your specific boat but it shouldn't be that bad.

I also replaced my Y valve and all hose clamps. And the tank vent. Basically anything other than the head and the holding tank (which I cleaned) got replaced.

I bought the hose from West Marine but first found the cheapest price I could and they price matched it. My wife asked what I wanted for my birthday and I said 24' of the finest sh***er hose made!!

Transformed the boat, no more "whew" when you opened it up.

And take care of the system going forward, don't ignore it. I know how hard the job was and I don't want to do it again so I keep after it and keep it clean. We have free pumpouts and I use the service often.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 09:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The Moody Owners Association has 21mb of the original drawings for the 41/417/419 yachts available for download. You need to be a member but its £20 a year and has been a very valuable source of information for us in the past.

https://moodyowners.org/

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 11:27   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

It is not always sufficient to simply replace the hoses. Also eliminate places where waste sits in low points in hose runs. And thoroughly clean the entire inside of the boat and bilge. Often these odors are soaked into fabrics and cushions.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head