Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2022, 19:54   #16

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Re: Diesel heater question

The needle valve can be used to regulate the fuel same as the stock regulator but without the problems caused by heeling etc. But I have never seen them used together, its always been one or the other.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 20:03   #17

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
I think the second "shutoff valve" is actually a bleeder.
Excellent observation. I had a closer look and see it very well could be, and it would be quite useful.
Old 18-03-2022, 20:23   #18

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

The barometric damper is supposed to swing free. It has a weight on the inside that can be adjusted. The purpose is to "bleed" excessive updraft out of the chimney. So when you get a blast of wind past the smoke head that creates too much updraft (vacuum) in the chimney, the damper plate opens to allow cabin air to go into the chimney rather than creating too much vacuum inside the pot burner. Some folks don't have the damper in their system and claim its not necessary; I disagree. Dickinson has specific instructions on adjusting the damper.

The "backdraft" episode you mention is fairly common in gusty conditions and its frequency depends on the configuration of your system and in particular the type of smoke head you have. The "H" style is the best in my experience.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, heater