Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2022, 15:23   #1

Boat: Cascade 42
Diesel heater skin fitting for exhaust - does brand mater?

I am gathering parts for a hydronic heater install, I see 24mm skin fittings with no mfg listed for ~$35 on ebay and amz, and I see what looks to be the same fitting for $75-150 on various "heater" websites. I spend enough money on this boat, just not sure this is a place to drop an extra $100.

Has anyone used one of the generic fittings? Had them fail?
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 17:45   #2

Re: Diesel heater skin fitting for exhaust - does brand mater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_sailing View Post
I am gathering parts for a hydronic heater install, I see 24mm skin fittings with no mfg listed for ~$35 on ebay and amz, and I see what looks to be the same fitting for $75-150 on various "heater" websites. I spend enough money on this boat, just not sure this is a place to drop an extra $100.

Has anyone used one of the generic fittings? Had them fail?

I put a Planar diesel heater in my boat but none of the advertised exhaust overboards would fit the location so I welded one up with all the correct angles to fit my hull and remained true only to the “airgap” design bit of the original ones. I used silicone spacers to insulate the overboard from the hull because the run of exhaust tubing is quite short and heavily insulated so the exhaust is rather hot as it exits.
Pete.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, heater