Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 01:03   #1

Diesel Water Heater Exhaust

Hello! I'm looking at installing a diesel water heater on my boat. Does the exhaust require mixing with raw water? I've never had one of these systems on a boat before, nor have I worked on one.

Thanks in advance!
-Icarus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:12   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Diesel Water Heater Exhaust

Google the installtion manual for the one you want to install.

For example - see page 17 of attached https://www.dieselheat.com.au/wp-con...uctions-V1.pdf
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:17   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Diesel Water Heater Exhaust

Some information about the vessel you're planning the install and the make/model of the heating unit would improve the quality of any answers .

As a general rule of thumb I would expect to have a diesel heater flued high up on the hull or through the deck. Clearly too there's a dual purpose to consider, 1. expelling the gases and 2. preventing sea water ingress from waves and heel.

As the heater burns it sucks in air for combustion, obviously causing the exhaust gases to heat to rise in the process. Those gases are obviously also toxic and we don't want them in our boat. So typically that requires a flue. And the hot gases in the chimney pulls fresh air into the heater as it rises up the chimney and exits.

Perhaps it is possible to run a flue to your engine's exhaust, but that implies getting those hot gases down low enough, and I would have through too. In order for such a system to function, the engine would need to be running, Otherwise how would the pressure be sufficient to force the gas out through the exhaust system's water lock?

Tags
diesel, exhaust, heater, water