Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 14:48   #1

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Disappearing water from overflow tank

My friend has a Catalina 30 with a Universal diesel. It has an overflow tank in the port cockpit locker. The tank has a hose going to the engine BUT also a hose going to the water heater.

Water seems to go out of the overflow quickly. I haven't found any leaks in the hose to the engine or any hose on the engine. I can't find out why there is a hose going to the water heater. I suspect that is where the water is going. The hose is teed into one of the 2 hoses on the tank. I don't know if it is the inlet or outlet hose that's its tied to.

Has anyone seen a water heater plumbed this way? I'm considering blocking off the hose to see if it makes a difference. We're moving the boat on Monday about 20 miles and I'm concerned with overheating.

David
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 15:34   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Disappearing water from overflow tank

Does the tank have typical coolant pressure cap on it? Is the water heater higher than the engine? If so, it is a coolant fill tank and used as a high point in the coolant line to fill from since you can't use the engines fill point. (It's lower than the water heater)

Matt
Old 19-08-2017, 16:08   #3

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Re: Disappearing water from overflow tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Does the tank have typical coolant pressure cap on it? Is the water heater higher than the engine? If so, it is a coolant fill tank and used as a high point in the coolant line to fill from since you can't use the engines fill point. (It's lower than the water heater)

Matt
It has a snap on cap. The water heater is lower than the engine, it is about 18 inches below the overflow tank. The overflow tank is higher than the engine. I'm not sure that the water heateris higher than the engine.

I still don't know the purpose of the hose from the overflow tank to the water heater. Maybe it is a pressure relief for the heater?
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water