Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2023, 07:47   #256

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Disposing of Solid Waste From a Dessicating Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Since they are filling up these huge plastic bags with the saw dust I really wanna know what they are doing with it all.

Maybe they should offer to sell it off to their composter-head subscribers. Might make a few extra boat bucks.
Old 26-06-2023, 07:53   #257
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
We used this while my wife was going through breast cancer chemo. The marina head was a very long walk away from our slip. The pump out dock was down a narrow fairway that would have been really difficult to get out of with a long keel barn door rudder boat.

The proof of concept worked well so I installed a C-Head. No, we did not use the prototype while in the cockpit. This photo was after installing the C-Head.
Sweet mother of God, please don’t explain how to use that contraption

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 09:15   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe they should offer to sell it off to their composter-head subscribers. Might make a few extra boat bucks.
That was what I was thinking. Having said that, the bags are BIG and not compacted so they would take up quite a bit of space...

The way they are collecting the saw dust it seems like it is going to be used somehow, some way.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 09:44   #259

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So all the space that is won by removing the waste tank … you now need more space because of filler materials? Plus you still need the space to carry the waste but it’s now bottled and bagged.

Old 26-06-2023, 09:51   #260

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sweet mother of God, please don’t explain how to use that contraption
The blue funnel is for after too many tacos, bad American “beer” and beans.

The red part is for better times.

When you use the blue part you just clean it out with your toothbrush. It will work. It reaches all the way down to get the tube clean and everything.

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 14:26   #261

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
That was what I was thinking. Having said that, the bags are BIG and not compacted so they would take up quite a bit of space...

The way they are collecting the saw dust it seems like it is going to be used somehow, some way.

Later,
Dan
It's sometimes used in shop heaters, which they will need in winter.
Winter in Sweden is cold.
Old 26-06-2023, 14:30   #262

Quote:
So all the space that is won by removing the waste tank … you now need more space because of filler materials? Plus you still need the space to carry the waste but it’s now bottled and bagged.
Who said there was a holding tank before. Good old marine toilet went directly outside.

Peat moss & human waste are certainly less voluminous than any normal holding tank.

But hey you seem convinced that modern separation toilets are not good.
So why trying to convince folks who are happy to use theirs otherwise?

Keep your system if your happy with it.

Each to their own. Peace.
Old 26-06-2023, 14:44   #263

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Who said there was a holding tank before. Good old marine toilet went directly outside.

Peat moss & human waste are certainly less voluminous than any normal holding tank.

But hey you seem convinced that modern separation toilets are not good.
So why trying to convince folks who are happy to use theirs otherwise?

Keep your system if your happy with it.

Each to their own. Peace.
Someone claimed that regaining space occupied by the holding tank was a main reason for switching. It wasn’t you, but it was brought as a major reason for the switch.

I would love to get convinced… I mean I just want the best solution and I can afford whichever it is. But I don’t see me stacking bags of poop with filler stirred in on shelves or bottling urine in coke bottles and carrying and handling all that, plus a stock of coco coir instead of just a holding tank where nothing needs to be handled, poured or hauled to dumpsters and public toilets and no stocks of coco coir are needed, just some water to flush.

And while you are so convinced about me being wrong, I simply don’t understand why you don’t get my point above… I don’t think it’s hard to understand

Old 26-06-2023, 14:53   #264
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Disposing of Solid Waste From a Dessicating Toilet

Quote:
Someone claimed that regaining space occupied by the holding tank was a main reason for switching. It wasn’t you, but it was brought as a major reason for the switch.

I would love to get convinced… I mean I just want the best solution and I can afford whichever it is. But I don’t see me stacking bags of poop with filler stirred in on shelves or bottling urine in coke bottles and carrying and handling all that, plus a stock of coco coir instead of just a holding tank where nothing needs to be handled, poured or hauled to dumpsters and public toilets and no stocks of coco coir are needed, just some water to flush.

And while you are so convinced about me being wrong, I simply don’t understand why you don’t get my point above… I don’t think it’s hard to understand

I can understand your point and appreciate it’s your choice. Having owned both systems there’s no doubt I’ll ever go back to a holding tank system, to many negatives for me.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 15:02   #265

Quote:

While not a driving reason for me, I did manage to reclaim a lot of usable storage by getting rid of 25-gallon holding tank, 1-1/2" hose which is fairly stiff; macerator, Y-Valve, and thru-hulls.

You are correct that storing the media takes up some of that space - I too use Coir bricks. Although they are fairly compact and can be tucked into out-of-the-way places, they must be kept dry. And finding them isn't always intuitive. For example, my boat is currently in Ensenada MX - not exactly a standard item, so must store a lot of bricks. There is a net positive on space saved over traditional head, but there are other considerations.

Having participated in a lot of these threads, there seems to be strong feelins on both sides. There are some on the pro-compost side that describe a fairytale experience where everything is pink ponies and rainbows. It's not. On the other side, the antibodies are prone to hyperbole and vitriol with a lot of hand waving.

I really wish these discussions would be a bit more level-headed so people can evaluate the pluses and minuses and make a decision for themselves. There are some serious drawbacks to compost heads but they are never discussed because the Antibodies bring up all sorts of far fetched topics about germs to garbage collectors, how it's illegal to dump, etc. Too bad. They are not for everyone, but these discussions are simply not helpful for folks seeking legitimate informaiton.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 15:05   #266

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’m the one who said one of the main reasons for our switch was to recover significant space. We did. In the space that was once occupied by a holding tank, and associated plumbing, I now carry two large tool boxes, two inflatable kayaks, a spare windlass, and other sundry items.

I carry six months worth of coir in about the same volume as a standard bucket. In my case, it is stored under the head sink. There is absolutely no comparison to the two.
Old 26-06-2023, 15:17   #267

Quote:

I'm not saying you are wrong. What works for one does not work for others.

Regarding bags of peat moss or whatever, we use a bag of compressed wood shaving in one month with two people full-time onboard.

Personally I prefer the simplicity and the draining of that tank twice per month over fixing clogged toilets. But hey my choice is mine, yours is yours.
Old 26-06-2023, 15:40   #268

Quote:
Pretty sure your mind is made up and closed to any 'convincing' no matter how compelling. It's not a solution for you. You are disgusted by the entire concept and respond with hyperbole. It's a forum - works that way sometimes.

But for others who are curious, emptying the solids is something you can time to when it's convenient. There is no need to store it. Compared to a holding tank, 'surprise, it's full' is just not a comparison. As for urine, that goes overboard. Technically illegal unless outside the 3nm line. I've challenged people to tell me the harm of tossing urine overboard and they always revert to hysterical polemics about nitrogen with zero evidence of scale: that a 2-gal bottle of pee will cause any harm anywhere with possible exception of coral reef areas and NDZs.

But this is all a distraction. Once past the Ick Factor that blots-out the sun in these discussions, the two biggest negatives are full-time use is really restricted to a couple people aboard. CH doesn't scale well. Relatedly, its odd for most guests. Serious concerns for many people.

Second drawback is possibility of insects which are fairly common. Hasn't happened to me......yet. I do have concerns though. Most of the loudest voices supporting Compost Heads are in very cool climates. You dont hear much from folks in tropical climates. I'm a bit wary and will update along the line.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 15:52   #269
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Pretty sure your mind is made up and closed to any 'convincing' no matter how compelling. It's not a solution for you. You are disgusted by the entire concept and respond with hyperbole. It's a forum - works that way sometimes.

But for others who are curious, emptying the solids is something you can time to when it's convenient. There is no need to store it. Compared to a holding tank, 'surprise, it's full' is just not a comparison. As for urine, that goes overboard. Technically illegal unless outside the 3nm line. I've challenged people to tell me the harm of tossing urine overboard and they always revert to hysterical polemics about nitrogen with zero evidence of scale: that a 2-gal bottle of pee will cause any harm anywhere with possible exception of coral reef areas and NDZs.

But this is all a distraction. Once past the Ick Factor that blots-out the sun in these discussions, the two biggest negatives are full-time use is really restricted to a couple people aboard. CH doesn't scale well. Relatedly, its odd for most guests. Serious concerns for many people.

Second drawback is possibility of insects which are fairly common. Hasn't happened to me......yet. I do have concerns though. Most of the loudest voices supporting Compost Heads are in very cool climates. You dont hear much from folks in tropical climates. I'm a bit wary and will update along the line.
A sprinkle of Diatomaceous earth takes care of any bugs( flies)

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Safe-C...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 26-06-2023, 15:53   #270

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I can understand your point and appreciate it’s your choice. Having owned both systems there’s no doubt I’ll ever go back to a holding tank system, to many negatives for me.

Could those "negatives" be because of poor quality materials, or sub quality installation? Just asking.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, toilet