Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2023, 01:28   #286

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Disposing of Solid Waste From a Dessicating Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I bought it, because we were a little under time pressure, but it should be easy to make a wooden plug and slap one together from fiberglass.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
If I go this way again, I would rather buy mine. Just for the speed of assembly. List is already too long. Ha ha. Thanks for letting me know.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 01:33   #287

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I'll take you at your word that you are indeed open to options.

I agree with you that CH proponents enthusiastically extol benefits and lax attention to the downsides. Upthread, I think I've tried to be forthcoming with the negatives. Surprisingly, to me, it does not smell like poop - even when emptying. I do find emptying the chamber a chore. It's not offensive, but not a high point of the day. My biggest long-term worry is if we start having more guests aboard. As the Ogo owner mentioned a couple of posts above, the system does not scale well. The best setup would be a 2-head boat with one being CH.

For me, it wasn't any single component that drove me away from a traditional head system. There are quite a few points of failure - hose, macerator, vent, Y-valve, etc. When you try to be legal, finding an operational pump-out isn't always easy. On some forums, the answer to any complaints about a head system is always some form of "you're not doing it right," explaining if it breaks/smells. It's my fault. I simply gave up after a long story holding tank/maceration failure 3 days before leaving on a 500nm steam down the Pacific Coast with two other people onboard. Difficult situation on a 1-head boat.

I personally believe a churn is important. I suppose a long wooden spoon could work, but not an elegant solution. However, I know of one Nature's Head owner who removed the churn to make emptying the chamber easier so he could use a plastic bag liner.

I did have to think through where to mount the vent hose (1.5"). Side deck on my trawler has a step so I have a vertical surface, but it's not perfect. A standard sailboat would be more challenging. I believe the vent is important but many users report it being optional. I cannot imagine that being true.

So that's my full opinion. My experience with holding tank systems over 30 years was a C-. Nature's Head gets a B-.
I'd not forgo the vent. If ours gets accidentally switched off it can smell.

I agree psychology comes into play when it comes to guests. Somehow it's harder to throw a hand of wood shavings into the bowl than flush with water.
Don't know why that is. Probably just because it's different from home.
Old 27-06-2023, 01:41   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
If I go this way again, I would rather buy mine. Just for the speed of assembly. List is already too long. Ha ha. Thanks for letting me know.
Etsy has several. I'm sure there are others - hopefully lower priced.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1438175...arator-for-dry
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 01:53   #289

Quote:
I'd not forgo the vent. If ours gets accidentally switched off it can smell.

I agree psychology comes into play when it comes to guests. Somehow it's harder to throw a hand of wood shavings into the bowl than flush with water.
Don't know why that is. Probably just because it's different from home.
Peggie Hall calls these heads "litter boxes" which, while harsh, is accurate. I spend a lot of time in Mexico where Americans balk at putting toilet paper in a waste paper basket (for the record, I greatly prefer flushing it too). As a kid I spent a lot of time around livestock - mucking around in poop became a way of life so perhaps I'm a bit de-sensitized. Having cleaned up many holding tank catastrophes further dulled the senses. .

But the piece I wonder about is if the folks who are squimish about their own dessicated dung are the same ones who happily walk their dog and pick up still warm poop (you know, with steam whiffs in winter time) with nothing more than an ultra thin plastic bag as protection.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 01:55   #290
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
So to the vent. It's a standart 12v computer fan and runs all the time.
120mm diameter if I recall correctly.
It draws away any odours.
Currently 34 degrees here in Spain. Nothing to smell.
It's a separating toilet, we do not aim to compost.
Never had an insect problem due to the head.

If on a very very rare occasion the content of the bucket gets to wet, we empty it a bit earlier. Problem solved.

The fan pushes it via a 100mm duct to the deck where it terminates in a closable mushroom vent with fly screen.

We never had water getting to it though, as the solar water heater protects it too.

What drew me to a seperating toilet was that the previous one was pumped overboard which is not allowed in the Dutch Waddenzee where I was at the time.
Additionally it was it's extreme simplicity in building it & using it, as well as extremely low cost and failproofness. Attachment 277368
Thank you, your posts and pictures are very helpful. Your bucket looks much, much better than that other picture
Also, your description of the fan and ducting clears that up. Yes, a mushroom vent hadn’t crossed my mind yet

Where is the fan located, it isn’t inside the bucket, right? Is there a vent opening in the bucket so that the moisture can be vented out?

Also, others talk about the importance of “stirring the pot”. Do you do this and if so, how?

I really appreciate how all this info comes out

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 01:59   #291

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
And Jedi: I agree it is a difficult problem to solve. I’ve tried them all, including vacuuflush.

With a catamaran, I believe the absolute best option is simply a hole in the bridge deck with a toilet seat and plug to close it. No tank. No compost. I’ve only seen one of these before. Debatable about legality. Reliability 100%. Stink factor 0, ick factor 0. Maintenance 0.
I agree. The video someone posted about the tow rag was ridiculed but was exactly this, except it was over the water at the bowsprit. And it had the convenience of the tow rag for which you need a more modern solution.

Now that I think of it, you could use a Toto Washlet.

Old 27-06-2023, 02:05   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Thank you, your posts and pictures are very helpful. Your bucket looks much, much better than that other picture

Also, your description of the fan and ducting clears that up. Yes, a mushroom vent hadn’t crossed my mind yet

Where is the fan located, it isn’t inside the bucket, right? Is there a vent opening in the bucket so that the moisture can be vented out?

Also, others talk about the importance of “stirring the pot”. Do you do this and if so, how?

I really appreciate how all this info comes out
The bucket has a removable lid with two holes.
One hole is exactly the size of the solid parts opening of the funnel. The other is behind it and has the flexible duct connected to it.
The computer fan sits inside this duct (actually the duct is connected to both sides of it).
No other holes in the bucket lid.

We are not stirring, but it might be good to do it if the users are not good in aiming their liquid. In reality that is a non issue though.

For the gents I hear that it's good if the liquid part of the funnel is deep enough, so that no bodily parts touch it. [emoji3064]

Btw. Offshore we do not use plastic bags, if longer in port we add a bag inside the bucket.

Toilet paper always goes in a bin.
Old 27-06-2023, 02:11   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Peggie Hall calls these heads "litter boxes" which, while harsh, is accurate. I spend a lot of time in Mexico where Americans balk at putting toilet paper in a waste paper basket (for the record, I greatly prefer flushing it too). As a kid I spent a lot of time around livestock - mucking around in poop became a way of life so perhaps I'm a bit de-sensitized. Having cleaned up many holding tank catastrophes further dulled the senses. .

But the piece I wonder about is if the folks who are squimish about their own dessicated dung are the same ones who happily walk their dog and pick up still warm poop (you know, with steam whiffs in winter time) with nothing more than an ultra thin plastic bag as protection.
I have no problem with using a litter box if someone wants to call it that way. It's a simple solution for a simple problem.

By the way, anyone got an idea how to get rid of this:Sent from my MHA-L29 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-06-2023, 02:34   #294

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The bucket has a removable lid with two holes.
One hole is exactly the size of the solid parts opening of the funnel. The other is behind it and has the flexible duct connected to it.
The computer fan sits inside this duct (actually the duct is connected to both sides of it).
No other holes in the bucket lid.

We are not stirring, but it might be good to do it if the users are not good in aiming their liquid. In reality that is a non issue though.

For the gents I hear that it's good if the liquid part of the funnel is deep enough, so that no bodily parts touch it. [emoji3064]

Btw. Offshore we do not use plastic bags, if longer in port we add a bag inside the bucket.

Toilet paper always goes in a bin.
I think I get it. The duct is located behind the solid parts opening in your last picture? I had envisioned the bucket being centered under the seat but I think it’s further aft now.

Yes, that fan is crucial.

Also, the idea someone brought forward of having one wet toilet for guests or when not using the CH (offshore sailing) makes a lot of sense and eliminates one big disadvantage.

Old 27-06-2023, 02:51   #295

Quote Jedi & answers:

I think I get it. The duct is located behind the solid parts opening in your last picture? I had envisioned the bucket being centered under the seat but I think it’s further aft now.

ANSWER
Yes the buckets forward edge is under the forward edge of the hard side of the funnel (right after the liquid duct).
The vent duct hole is behind the hard side of the funnel (prevents it from getting in touch with anything nasty too).

Yes, that fan is crucial.

Also, the idea someone brought forward of having one wet toilet for guests or when not using the CH (offshore sailing) makes a lot of sense and eliminates one big disadvantage.

ANSWER
Yes, but guests are also sometimes confused by pumps and valves...
Old 27-06-2023, 03:16   #296

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, but guests are also sometimes confused by pumps and valves...
Our toilets have a single lever you push down for a second with one finger after which the toilet automatically flushes, just like a domestic toilet.

Like I wrote before, our boat did have the old toilets when we bought her in 2002 but we replaced both with modern toilets in 2005 that look and operate just like domestic toilets. There are no pumps, no valves, nothing.

Old 27-06-2023, 03:26   #297

Quote:
Our toilets have a single lever you push down for a second with one finger after which the toilet automatically flushes, just like a domestic toilet.

Like I wrote before, our boat did have the old toilets when we bought her in 2002 but we replaced both with modern toilets in 2005 that look and operate just like domestic toilets. There are no pumps, no valves, nothing.
Happy for you. Most of the toilets I've seen on other boats are not that simple.

Guess it's also a cost question. [emoji6] Our toilet cost us about 100€ including materials & paint.
Old 27-06-2023, 04:02   #298

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here’s good examples of old and new. The old one with pump and valve is what we actually had back in 2002 and it is the high maintenance generation of toilets. They cost around $400

The other one is a good example of the new ones. As you can see it’s just like a domestic toilet. They cost around $800.

Is there a link of where to buy the parts used for the CH ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4196.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	277374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4195.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	277375  

Old 27-06-2023, 04:15   #299

Quote:
Here’s good examples of old and new. The old one with pump and valve is what we actually had back in 2002 and it is the high maintenance generation of toilets. They cost around $400

The other one is a good example of the new ones. As you can see it’s just like a domestic toilet. They cost around $800.

Is there a link of where to buy the parts used for the CH ?
I have a DIY seperating toilet, so about the only spare ever needed is a 15€ computer fan.

I guess I'm to cheap to ever even think about spending 800$ for a single toilet...
Old 27-06-2023, 04:17   #300

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have a DIY seperating toilet, so about the only spare ever needed is a 15€ computer fan.

I guess I'm to cheap to ever even think about spending 800$ for a single toilet...
Do you have links of where you bought the parts?

Tags
oil, toilet