Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2023, 17:14   #121

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Disposing of Solid Waste From a Dessicating Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It’s certainly not a fun job, but as you say, it’s only a minor PITA. My process is to fit a large garbage bag around the bin, and then just tip it over. I do this in the head room. I then double-bag it, and take it to where it needs to go.

So, instead of a 1 Ah hit to the battery with an ElectroScan, you throw everything into a double bag of plastic which has its own non breakdown issues and send it off to wherever...

I fail to see how all these machinations from multiple posts make sense.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 17:55   #122

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
So, instead of a 1 Ah hit to the battery with an ElectroScan, you throw everything into a double bag of plastic which has its own non breakdown issues and send it off to wherever...

I fail to see how all these machinations from multiple posts make sense.

I don’t understand this comment at all. Is there a translation problem? I’ve never mentioned Electroscan. The double bag is for transporting, usually to a forest or off shore. Obviously the bags come home with me.

I think you need to read more carefully.
Old 18-06-2023, 18:29   #123
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I tested a bunch of absorbents. I settled on shredded aspen, in part because the odor was less, and in part because that is what the C Head guy recommended. Not as compressed as coir bricks, but it is sold in compressed bags and you don't need to re-hydrate and expand.

If there is a little saw dust in with the shavings that is even better. The stuff from the local millwork shop is perfect ... and free.

Just another option.
Old 18-06-2023, 19:38   #124

Boat: Grampian 30

I am also confused by the Electroscan comment. I did not choose a composting toilet because it is any better (or worse) from an environmental perspective, I chose it because I felt it was a better option for me and my boat vs. the traditional head and holding tank that was there when I bought it. Actually, the toilet came with the boat, but separate, the tank and hoses had been removed, and a portapotty was in the head and was absolutely no fun to deal with. Rather than reinstall the old Jabsco, re-plumb and re-tank, I went with a Nature's Head. So far very happy with it, although perhaps I feel a bit guilty vis a vis my disposal methods. I suspect I'll get over it.

But I did look up the Electroscan and if I ever have $4000 US to spend on my head I might consider it... except that I sail in fresh water so it would require additional salt and operating care... and the Canadian Great Lakes are a 100% NDZ so I couldn't discharge overboard anyway.

Shredded Aspen, interesting, I'll see what's available locally. I wonder if sawdust would work, or the slightly larger wood chips from chainsaw cutting?

Coir source?
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 19:45   #125

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekton73 View Post
I am also confused by the Electroscan comment. I did not choose a composting toilet because it is any better (or worse) from an environmental perspective, I chose it because I felt it was a better option for me and my boat vs. the traditional head and holding tank that was there when I bought it. Actually, the toilet came with the boat, but separate, the tank and hoses had been removed, and a portapotty was in the head and was absolutely no fun to deal with. Rather than reinstall the old Jabsco, re-plumb and re-tank, I went with a Nature's Head. So far very happy with it, although perhaps I feel a bit guilty vis a vis my disposal methods. I suspect I'll get over it.

But I did look up the Electroscan and if I ever have $4000 US to spend on my head I might consider it... except that I sail in fresh water so it would require additional salt and operating care... and the Canadian Great Lakes are a 100% NDZ so I couldn't discharge overboard anyway.

Shredded Aspen, interesting, I'll see what's available locally. I wonder if sawdust would work, or the slightly larger wood chips from chainsaw cutting?

Coir source?
Many people in the US order coir through Amazon, including me.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 21:21   #126
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

About baby wipes being biologically degradable…. They only are in a commercial waste facility. When you dump them they last for a century or so. These are a major source of clogged sewer drains because they do not degrade.

There were tests on toilet paper. The special marine or rv types were some of the worst. Charmin Ultra Soft tested as the best.

Much better still is using a bidet lid on a wet toilet. No paper, no garbage bags, healthiest.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:14   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
All the goodie two shoes with compost toilets dump their pee overboard, like nitrogen pollution doesn’t exist.
https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/issue
Sure, nitrogen pollution exists, but to what extent does a person's urine add nitrogen to the environment? And if you are going to be honestly critical you should be aware of the differences between the issues of fecal matter and urine.
Fecal matter can be a source of serious pathogens (eg: parasites) while urine is almost totally free of microorganisms. Wise decisions can only be made by understanding the issues in context rather than making wild blanket statements.
It is a fact that natural ecosystems have evolved to incorporate biological waste, but only to limited population densities (and I don't mean solely human population). If you want to be environmentally friendly you should be considering whether what your community is doing constitutes a significant departure from what happens in a natural ecosystem.

Or you could just plug up every orifice and have no impact at all... 😉
alanfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:24   #128

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I use the same method as Mike, regular churning to keep things well mixed, black garbage bag over the base and tip it over right in the head, one solid whack on the bottom and everything falls into the bag. Far less weight to carry out of the boat vs wrestling with the whole base. I've never had an issue with smell or yuck when emptying.
Exactly. I just fit the bag over the bin, and tip it over. I keep a small garden trowel nearby if I need to scoop out any final bit, but it’s really not that hard.

With regard to the churner, I find our Nature’s Head tends to pack the corners. About 1/2 way through each cycle I usually get in with the trowel and pull the coir away from the edges.

Quote:
Mike, you mentioned you ordered a large supply of coir and are still working your way through it... would you share your source? I've been using peat moss. Bought a large cube of it and am just coming to the end. It works fine but I've been considering trying coir as I wouldn't have to pre-mix with water (I don't think), one less step.

Sorry for the slow response. I was on my ipad and didn’t have the answer, but I looked it up. Over the years I’ve bought from various sources, including some Amazon sellers, but the last batch came from a Canadian source:

https://www.vgrove.com/products/625g...dually-wrapped

I bought a big carton of the bricks. Not sure how many there were, but I’m still working through them. I’ve been pretty happy with the quality.
Old 19-06-2023, 06:27   #129

Take the opportunity at lift-out to fit a holding tank. It’s not that expensive, and it leaves you with options.
guitarrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:30   #130
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanfw View Post
Sure, nitrogen pollution exists, but to what extent does a person's urine add nitrogen to the environment? And if you are going to be honestly critical you should be aware of the differences between the issues of fecal matter and urine.
Fecal matter can be a source of serious pathogens (eg: parasites) while urine is almost totally free of microorganisms. Wise decisions can only be made by understanding the issues in context rather than making wild blanket statements.
It is a fact that natural ecosystems have evolved to incorporate biological waste, but only to limited population densities (and I don't mean solely human population). If you want to be environmentally friendly you should be considering whether what your community is doing constitutes a significant departure from what happens in a natural ecosystem.

Or you could just plug up every orifice and have no impact at all... 😉
Good attempt, but it’s still illegal

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:50   #131

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Coir source?
https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Crunch-...2-d605505c9d1e

One block lasts two months for two people full time with a C-Head (RIP). We chip up a block into two Sterlite containers and further break up the pieces when filling the head.
Old 19-06-2023, 07:05   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanfw View Post
Sure, nitrogen pollution exists, but to what extent does a person's urine add nitrogen to the environment? And if you are going to be honestly critical you should be aware of the differences between the issues of fecal matter and urine....
Nitrogen and phosphorus pollution is a big problem in some areas. In the US, South Florida has had major issues with nitrogen and phosphorus pollution for decades. I thought various government entities were on the correct path to solve the problem when I left the state decades ago but recent events show they still are futzing around with the issue. While homeowners are part of the problem, the big sources are agriculture, and especially the sugar cane "farms."

In the NL, the Dutch government has a program to buy out farmers near conservation areas due to nitrogen pollution. This is from EU regulations and has caused quite a bit of political angst. In all of the reports on the subject I have read, only one mentioned that most of the nitrogen pollution is from human waste water not the targeted farms. Not mentioned was if the waste water nitrogen was 100% from the Dutch population or from upstream, meaning other countries.

Ireland has similar issues with nitrogen in the water. Without a doubt, in rural areas, this is from farming and diary operations which is what is being targeted to solve the problem. However, they news reports gloss over or ignore the nitrogen pollution from human waste water. Though in the Irish case, that might be because so much of the waste water is dumped offshore. Very few waste water treatment plants in the US remove nitrogen or phosphorus and my guess this is true in Ireland and other countries.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:24   #133

In the USA, you can toss it overboard if you're more than 3 miles offshore. However, if on a smaller lake, I would bag it and toss it in a dumpster.

Regarding the hazards of human poop, many pharmaceuticals remain viable after treatment.
CaptJimFrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:24   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarrich View Post
Take the opportunity at lift-out to fit a holding tank. It’s not that expensive, and it leaves you with options.
I've considered it, but I can't find a place to put it that doesn't involve ripping out huge amounts of fibreglass and remodeling. If I buy an OGO, all I have to do is attach a base sheet (eg ply) where the current head is and attach the OGO to the base. (The base is needed because the OGO is 3 to 5 cm deeper than the shelf the current head sits on.) A step will also be necessary too, but that's a WHOLE lot easier than trying to fit a holding tank!
Old 19-06-2023, 07:34   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJimFrei View Post
Regarding the hazards of human poop, many pharmaceuticals remain viable after treatment.
It's a good thing I don't do drugs then 😁

Tags
oil, toilet