Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 18:30   #1

DIY composting toilet (using an auger?)

I've been looking at composting toilets lately, and they just seem like they have such a small capacity and are built for general purpose (so not just boats, but also able to be used in a van easily).

So I was thinking of doing a DIY composting toilet that is more purpose built for this space.

My thought was something like this, the main difference being using an auger with a steel grate at the end to mince the solids (increasing surface area and letting it dry faster). Also it would mean no issue with the boat having severe heeling or movements.

((Note: likely would be a fair bit smaller waste containers, enough that a single person can carry. But still far larger than those gallon jugs the composting toilets seem to have))

Additional could have an option to take the tube from the drain for the liquid and divert it directly overboard for sea passages. Though I couldn't figure out a way to handle the solids in an easier manner than just taking the box out and covering it and dealing with it.

Anyhow, it's all simple enough. The main issue is just how well an auger would do the job. Or if it would get mucked up too much and be a huge problem? Mechanically it's very reliable, so wouldn't be at risk of breaking that often.
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY, oil, posting