Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2018, 08:56   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do all toilets require holding tanks.

Everyone should install a composting head thereby making all of the aforementioned points moot.
Old 22-09-2018, 09:00   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
US law applies to US vessels everywhere, not just in the US.

Sorry, not true. US law applies to ALL vessels regardless of national origin, but only while operating in the US. And all vessels, including US flagged, are required to obey the laws of each country in which they happen to be operating at the time.

Many vessels are plumbed to allow toilets to discharge directly overboard. US federal law 33 CFR 159.7 33 CFR 159.7 includes a list of acceptable means of securing the overboard discharge plumbing that would apply to all toilets on a boat whether connected to a holding tank or not.

--Peggie

Just another reason not to go to the US
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 09:16   #78

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F

WOW, what a Sh%&-storm.

Thanks for all the answers, both those really helpful and factual, and those that were more, let say gently, amusing.

Just to answer why I was asking for a legal advise. i am aware that discharging in any restricted zone is neither ethical nor legal, but I know I am able to (and plan to) do things right with the current setup, closing one seacock and not using this toilet and switching the other to holding tank. My question was if such a solution, that seems ethical to me, will satisfy potential inspection. Connecting both toilets to the one existing holding tank seem to be inpractical, probably easier to add second small holding tank.
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 09:18   #79

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
Just another reason not to go to the US
Sorry to disappoint but the USCG can board any US flagged vessel anywhere in US and international waters. They can ask to board in foreign waters by asking that nation on a case by case basis which they do.

They can board foreign flagged vessels in international waters by asking the flag state on a case by case basis which they do.

Mostly they do these boardings of foreign flagged vessels in international waters and US vessels in foreign waters on suspicion of drug running. There is a system in place expedite requests and receive permission.

So not going to the US is not going to save you from being boarded by the USCG in most places if they think you have drugs.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 09:21   #80

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The equipment regulations - ie. must have a functioning MSD. There are also regs about removing or disabling said MSD.
Got reference examples of such enforcement action?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:10   #81

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I gave up reading after page 4, but the obvious is to install a composting toilet in the second head without a holding tank.

I just bought an older express cruiser built in 1961. As you can guess, there is no holding tank in this 28 footer. I've owned a number of travel trailers and one motorhome which I still own. Smell from the bathroom has always been an issue. For some reading this, if you have smell in your head, consider using the newer enzyme treatments for the black tank (found in any RV store). Forget using the blue stuff, its junk. There is a blue enzyme treatment that isn't junk.

I have the room and ability to install a holding tank and system but I chose to add a composting toilet as the smell issue is a non-issue with either Airhead or Nature's Head. I chose Airhead as it can go into a smaller area, Nature's Head top tilts back so more room needed for the tilt. Also I didn't want to stare at the urine which you can sort of see in the Nature's Head system. Both brands of CP's work equally well.

Some rant over the cost of these toilets, apparently not taking into account the cost of adding a holding tank and necessary paraphernalia, plus chemicals etc for tank use. Yesterday I came across two bags of coconut core for $18, enough to last me about four years or more.

I am seriously considering getting another urine holding tank for the Airhead, my alcoholic drinking buddies fill the original tank quickly. Of course I could get non-alcoholic friends, but where is the fun in that. I don't drink that much but with my prostate as it is now, I pee about every ten minutes (or so it seems).

And to the guy who said bilges held human waste, uhmmm.....! This comment reminds me of a guy who renovated his home, adding a second floor and bathroom. There was only one problem, he never hooked up the second floor toilet to the in place plumbing pipes. Instead he decide the crawl space would make a perfect dump station. For the people that bought the house afterwards, it took them about 6 months to solve the mysterious poo smell.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:21   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I frankly don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not American, my boat is not US-flagged, and I follow the best practices and regulations I've espoused. You don't have to believe me. Go ahead and ask the USCG: https://www.atlanticarea.uscg.mil/Ou...an/Contact-Us/
IOW your just here for the legalese fencing
Old 22-09-2018, 10:26   #83

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskudlarski View Post
Just to answer why I was asking for a legal advise. i am aware that discharging in any restricted zone is neither ethical nor legal, but I know I am able to (and plan to) do things right with the current setup, closing one seacock and not using this toilet and switching the other to holding tank. My question was if such a solution, that seems ethical to me, will satisfy potential inspection. Connecting both toilets to the one existing holding tank seem to be inpractical, probably easier to add second small holding tank.
Did you read the West Marine article and Sector 11 SLNM? You might consider going the Type I MSD route - Upgrading and Understanding Your MSD (Marine Sanitation Device) - BoatTECH - BoatUS
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 06:45   #84

Boat: Currently boatless

The boating community is, frankly, low-hanging fruit for legislators and regulators. There are still too many cities, including Victoria and Halifax, where raw sewage is piped offshore. Also, there are many other inland cities, such as Ottawa, where sewage can be combined with rainwater when there's a big deluge and then dumped into the Ottawa River.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 06:59   #85

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer
Bbolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 07:35   #86

Boat: Tayana 47

Laws regarding overboard discharge vary from place to place but in your opinion how far from your boat does your back yard extend? How far from your boat does another cruiser need to be when he dumps his 25 gallon holding tank overboard for it to be ok or for you to not notice?

I’m in a harbor with about a hundred other boats with various degrees of occupancy typical to many harbors. The pump out station at the marina gets little use. There are many islands between our location and the legal distance offshore for dumping and I’d guess that a very small percentage of the boats make the 20+ mile each way trip to get there. So I conclude that virtually all of the boats in the harbor as well as a steady stream of transients are discharging illegally, some probably right here in the harbor itself, and yet I’ve never got a whiff or seen any sign of it.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 08:00   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I don't know of any EU country that requires a holding tank but most forbids direct discharge in their waters. A rule that us often ignored and lots of old boats don't have a holding tank.
The only EU country I'm aware of that allows toilet discharge is UK where it's legal in tidal waters.
Finland and Sweden require holding tanks,Finland since over 5 years ago, Sweden since 3 years ago. A good network of pump-out stations is available for those who want to follow the law. In Germany stations are increasing but few boaters seem to use them.
Mossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:43   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
US law applies to US vessels everywhere, not just in the US.

...US law applies to ALL vessels...all vessels, including US flagged, are required...apply to all toilets on a boat...
Well. See, I did not know this.

The congress-critters over in District Of Corruption expect non-sentient inanimate objects to behave according to their proclamations.

Somehow, the bureaucrats always manage to amuse me.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:55   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbolino View Post
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer
Nay nay.

Those initials stand for 'Law Enforcement OFFICIAL'.

Used in a sentence:
"Today, officials and authorities announced a new series of sweeping reforms intended to correct the oversights of prior sweeping reforms. In a ceremony at The Authority Complex, officials and authorities applauded the reforms, saying "This added security adds new levels of security, and enhances the enhancements we are reforming.""
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 12:45   #90

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

I love the idea of locking valves on the boat when I am the only one on the vessel and have the key.
Oops. Here comes the potty police. Better put the lock back. Haaaaa.
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, oil, tanks