Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 22:13   #31

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Do good electric toilets suck all liquid out each flush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I have a sanimarin electric toilet which is OK, it never get's clogged at least. However I'm thinking of replacing it with a vac-u-flush because it doesn't seem to be able to suck out the last 1/4 cup or so of liquid at the end of each flush. If you are flushing down solid waste, it macerates it and leaves 1/4 cup of macerated poop in the bowl. If you fill the bowl with another cup of water to flush that down, it just dilutes the macerated waste and you still have 1/4 cup of now somewhat diluted macerated poop in the bowl. In the end, it requires a couple cups of water and multiple flushes before you have clean water sitting in the bottom. Similar but not quite as bad with urine, you always end up with just somewhat diluted urine sitting in the bowl unless you use a lot of water to flush and the smell gets pretty bad.

My question is if this is a function of a fault in the toilet, or just a poor design that doesn't happen with something like a Raritan Elegance? It wouldn't be such a big deal but the Mahe 36 has only a 12 gallon holding tank and one toilet so with a family of 4 you can't do a 3 day weekend without a pump-out if you have to flush several cups of water down for every flush.
We have two Jabsco 'Quietflush'. First flush completely empties, no problem. You may get water trickling back over time if there is a bit of paper preventing a proper seal on the joker valve, but another clean flush usually fixes that.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 23:10   #32

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

There HAS to be something wrong with the installation, or the timer on the flush switch if it has one.

I never had any Joker valves on mine, I did have siphon breakers and carbon filters though. I NEVER had any residual faeces or urine in mine--and mostly I used el-cheapo electric ones made by TMC. One of my friends had a tourist vessel and he used only these and replaced them every second year--I used mine for YEARS and never replaced any of the m new ones I fitted, but from what I have seen almost ALL heads that have a sharp right angle between the bowl and the macerater are prone to being hard to flush--sometimes one has to use a soak in detergent to loosen the waste.

Disposing of sanitary products and the using of hand towels instead of the proper toilet tissue is asking for trouble though.

One thing I might mention is that when installing a new macerator heads system, check the sharpness of the impellers/blades. I kept a diamond file and gave them a few extra strokes--it makes a lot of difference to the ability to cut through paper, and makes for more efficient pumping..

Plenty of flush water is the secret. Clear the entire system with each flush. AND I leave water in mine, but it is recycled fresh shower water to which a little tank sterilant has been added.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 16:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
There HAS to be something wrong with the installation, or the timer on the flush switch if it has one.

I never had any Joker valves on mine, I did have siphon breakers and carbon filters though. I NEVER had any residual faeces or urine in mine--and mostly I used el-cheapo electric ones made by TMC. One of my friends had a tourist vessel and he used only these and replaced them every second year--I used mine for YEARS and never replaced any of the m new ones I fitted, but from what I have seen almost ALL heads that have a sharp right angle between the bowl and the macerater are prone to being hard to flush--sometimes one has to use a soak in detergent to loosen the waste.

Disposing of sanitary products and the using of hand towels instead of the proper toilet tissue is asking for trouble though.

One thing I might mention is that when installing a new macerator heads system, check the sharpness of the impellers/blades. I kept a diamond file and gave them a few extra strokes--it makes a lot of difference to the ability to cut through paper, and makes for more efficient pumping..

Plenty of flush water is the secret. Clear the entire system with each flush. AND I leave water in mine, but it is recycled fresh shower water to which a little tank sterilant has been added.
With 4 people and a 12 gallon holding tank, plenty of water isn't really feasible, that's the crux of the issue. We can certainly use a half gallon of water every flush or multiple flushes per deposit and the problem goes away...as long as we can pump out every 24 hours. That is both a pita and given that many anchorages don't have a convenient pump out very limiting as well. Unfortunately not a great space to add any holding tank capacity which would probably be the best solution at the end of the day.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 16:35   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
I'm following just to read Peg Hall's comments.
Me too, but the banana analogy has left me speechless.
Old 14-09-2020, 06:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
In my experience, Raritan Marine Elegance does not remove 100% of the liquid.
Raritan Sea Elegance- if you’re installed below the waterline (I.e.: on a sailboat), you will have a vent loop with a one way air valve. The height of the air valve in relation to the toilet bowl will determine how much water refills the bowl after flushing. The water in the bowl after you flush should be from your water supply. If you’re seeing waste in the bowl, then your duckbill is in need of replacing.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 08:53   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Vacuflush option......yes it clears the bowl very nicely BUT...
1) It’ll take work to install.....you’ll have to add a vacuum generator, and while they have a couple options nowadays, it takes extra space & plumbing
2) they are definitely more maintenance. You’ll have to replace the duckbill valves on average annually (sometimes 2 yrs, sometimes 2 months, duckbill quality extremely erratic).....and it is NOT a nice job. Make damn sure your vacuum generator is accessible.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:41   #37

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Vacuflush option......yes it clears the bowl very nicely BUT...
1) It’ll take work to install.....you’ll have to add a vacuum generator, and while they have a couple options nowadays, it takes extra space & plumbing
2) they are definitely more maintenance. You’ll have to replace the duckbill valves on average annually (sometimes 2 yrs, sometimes 2 months, duckbill quality extremely erratic).....and it is NOT a nice job. Make damn sure your vacuum generator is accessible.
I agree a vacuum system will take extra space and plumbing to install, although I may have been lucky on the maintenance side because my wife and I have lived aboard our boat for 4 years now. We use our vacuflush heads daily and I’ve never had to replace a duckbill valve in all that time.
Our heads work faultlessly and yes instant clean bowl.

If I do happen to need to replace a duckbill valve I don’t see it as much of an issue either. Our vacuum pumps both have the duckbill valves fitted in both the inlet and outlet pipes sited above the vacuum chamber (in a bayonet type fitting). They just disconnect, take out the old valve, install new one and reconnect. (In theory anyway)
rick1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 11:25   #38

Boat: Matthews 45 1968

Feel I must chime in on this one> We've had our 1968 boat with VacuFlush head and 20 gal holding tank for 34 years with NO PROBLEMS ever. It's the older style that puts the entire holding tank under vacuum uitilizing a standard Jabsco Par belt-style pump (the pump only pumps air). To be on the safe side, this year was the first since it was installed 50 years ago I put a new motor, new belt, new valves, and new diaphragm in the pump. Planes & Trains use the same type system FYI- could it be because they really suck-? (lol)
showmanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 12:28   #39

Boat: Cal 2-46

I have been using TMC toilets for over 30 years. Never had that problem. Maybe your flush period is too short?? I know of other boats who had added a timer so the flush goes for a chosen period.
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 18:50   #40

Quote:
The elegance is exactly the same.

A gross little tablespoon of it left after the dry flush.

You have to keep on putting more and more water through If you want the tablespoon full of unflushed stuff to be non-brown. But the tablespoon (or more) always remains.

Then there is the matter of getting a well formed log to even make it to the macerator.

A well formed, straight, Solid one can’t make the tight corner at the bottom of the bowl in a marine elegance. So you better keep a “bathroom knife” handy for some unpleasant chopping.

In short, the marine elegance is not going to solve the problem and depending on the solidity of your waste, will introduce a nasty new problem.

Being fed up with cutting my waste most of the time with a knife is why I decided to try composting )desiccating) heads. It was the last and final straw for me with marine heads.

Don’t waste money on a marine elegance thinking it’ll solve your problems. It behaves exactly like your current one.

Duckbill is also after the macerator. Wish I dint know any of this, but it’s why I’m one of those composting head fans now. Ha ha
OMG, if you need to keep a knife by the thunder mug to cut up your turds you might want to start a daily dose of Metamucil. You might even get the added Benefit of lubricating the valves and seals in your Marine plumbing system.
GL-WindPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 18:53   #41

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've definitely yet to have an experience of having something not make the bend into the macerator with my Sea Era. I have had an almost as bad problem a couple of times though. If a firm turd falls sideways across the opening in the bowl, it won't go down. It then has to be manually rotated upright, at which point it flushes just fine.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:01   #42

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL-WindPower View Post
OMG, if you need to keep a knife by the thunder mug to cut up your turds you might want to start a daily dose of Metamucil. You might even get the added Benefit of lubricating the valves and seals in your Marine plumbing system.
A well formed specimen shouldn’t be a runny mess from Taco Bell and Budweiser.

I eat 100% Whole Foods and get all the fiber in the world.

The marine elegance is just junk.

1) it leaves a little bit of water on dry flush and is not physically capable of removing all liquid as the OP asks and is the point of the thread.

2) It makes your specimen go around a very sharp corner. The bottom of the bowl is literally a 90 degree elbow into the macerator. Unless you’re having Taco Bell and natty light beers, or you’re a rabbit, it’s going to get stuck trying to make the bend.

In the attached drawing you can see how the macerator is pulling from a 90 degree angle to the bowl. There is an appropriately 2” hole at the bottom of the bowl. Parts between 12 and 15 are the macerator assembly. This 2” hole takes a 90 degree turn to go to the macerator. Try and fit your sh*t through a 2” 90 degree elbow and get back to me.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-g7o4...-breakdown.jpg

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:05   #43

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
It makes your specimen go around a very sharp corner. The bottom of the bowl is literally a 90 degree elbow into the macerator. Unless you’re having Taco Bell and natty light beers, or you’re a rabbit, it’s going to get stuck trying to make the bend.

The Sea Era is the same. My first thought on installation was "uh, how's that going to work?" On the other hand, in actual use, mine has happily consumed some deposits I thought it had no chance with. Now, if they made that elbow area bigger and a bit less sharp an angle (raise the whole toilet a little and angle the macerator), that would help. And it would probably keep things drier too, as the joker valve and outlet would be the lowest point rather than having a level area from there to the front of the macerator.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:17   #44

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The Sea Era is the same. My first thought on installation was "uh, how's that going to work?" On the other hand, in actual use, mine has happily consumed some deposits I thought it had no chance with. Now, if they made that elbow area bigger and a bit less sharp an angle (raise the whole toilet a little and angle the macerator), that would help. And it would probably keep things drier too, as the joker valve and outlet would be the lowest point rather than having a level area from there to the front of the macerator.
I agree. It would help a ton.

Even putting the macerator at the bottom of the bowl would help immensely.

It could just pull stuff in the bowl in if they did.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, oil