Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 19:03   #61

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Buy two composting heads for the boat. Rip all those old smelly hose runs out, drop em in, and don't look back
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 19:07   #62

Boat: Cloud Catamaran, Cloud 9, 10.6M, Rainbow Dreaming

In Australia you can get by with a port-a-potty. It if in Queensland a egalitarian requirement.
mjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 19:39   #63

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I'm a poor man. 16 to 20000 a year and I can afford a hoiding tank, altho I bought a composting head instead. I did the study and installed it myself. I also only have a 7th grade US education. Anybody can do it. All's it takes is a desire to do it. The information is there for the asking.

I drove a cab in Key West a while back. one fare asked me where was a safe place to swim - in regards that Higgs beach had a sign up warning of e-coli levels in the water - I told him about 8 miles south. He said "how can that be? the Island is only 3 miles wide." I said " there are 'bout 40,000 toilets on this 3 by 5 mile pros rock. do the math. the conversation went on and I told him that when I was a kid here you could see detail at 30 foot depths. Now you can't see detail at ten feet. He said it didn't matter as it wouldn't be completely destroyed before he was dead. I asked him " what about your grandchildren?" he said that would be their problem.

Think about the next person that has to clean up your mess. just because you don't get caught or can't see it, doesn't mean it's not wrong. If I don't want someone to do it to me, then why do it to someone else? Everyone pays for self-centeredness. This may sound cruel and hurtful, but is it? Sometimes the truth hurts.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 22:36   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post

Think about the next person that has to clean up your mess. just because you don't get caught or can't see it, doesn't mean it's not wrong. If I don't want someone to do it to me, then why do it to someone else? Everyone pays for self-centeredness. This may sound cruel and hurtful, but is it? Sometimes the truth hurts.
The OP didn't ask for an American eco-nut lecture, besides.... Animals and fish have been poopin' in the ocean for billions of years without causing any adverse effects. Plankton and small critters love the stuff, it's what they consider food. Part of the circle of life. Read a science book sometime.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 00:33   #65

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

American Eco- nut ? Why call names? There is tons of literature out there that supports the NDZ. Human poo IS different from fishy poo, medications is one example. Tinkerman is right, the concentration of sewage does make an impact. This is not only by boats, but also land based ( golf courses for example ) even wastewater treatment plants are playing a role in our poor water quality.
As far as tank. Yes, if you plan to cruise the U.S. west coast, you will need to have a means of storing and pumping out your sewage till out of NDZ.
We are cruising Forida, very hyper vigilant here, all vessels must be equipped with a holding tank for black water. Only exception is the boat with UDDT( dry head).
Old 13-06-2015, 00:43   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
There is tons of literature out there that supports the NDZ. Human poo IS different from fishy poo.
Poop is poop. People poop is not special, although many human believe their poop is.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 00:53   #67

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Poop is poop. People poop is not special, although many human believe their poop is.
Poop ain't poop!

Human poop is contaminated with things that marine fauna and flora are not used to. Food preservatives, pestiicide residues and antibiotics are just some things. Small amounts don't make a lot of difference, but larger amounts are certainly a problem. Which is why there are 'no discharge' areas in most national parks and other sensitive areas.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 01:25   #68
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Poop ain't poop!

Human poop is contaminated with things that marine fauna and flora are not used to. Food preservatives, pestiicide residues and antibiotics are just some things. Small amounts don't make a lot of difference, but larger amounts are certainly a problem. Which is why there are 'no discharge' areas in most national parks and other sensitive areas.
Differing Point of view.

Just had a look around the house and yard, in a 100 metre radius there is horse poo, pony poo, cow poo, duck poo, chook poo, sheep poo, alpaca poo, wallaby poo, crow poo, cockatoo poo, water hen poo, possum poo, rabbit poo, dog poo and quoll poo but as far as I can tell, no human poo or cat poo. There are humans and cats around but they must hide their poo somehow.

Anyway, as far I am concerned, all the above poo is the same - I try not to step in too much of it but sometimes...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 01:30   #69

Quote:
…………...
Personally, for such a pristine environment as ours I think they compromised too much reading all this. And in the Tamar, even the city council discharges raw sewage into the river in times of heavy rain.
Maybe the Tamar is "pristine" but I don't think the Huon is; considering the number of fish farms and thus the amount of feed and fish poo. There has to be several orders of magnitude between the fish/seal poo and human poo.

Not complaining though, the Huon is rather nice and there is plenty of pristine nearby
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-06-2015, 01:32   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Differing Point of view.

Just had a look around the house and yard, in a 100 metre radius there is horse poo, pony poo, cow poo, duck poo, chook poo, sheep poo, alpaca poo, wallaby poo, crow poo, cockatoo poo, water hen poo, possum poo, rabbit poo, dog poo and quoll poo but as far as I can tell, no human poo or cat poo. There are humans and cats around but they must hide their poo somehow.

Anyway, as far I am concerned, all the above poo is the same - I try not to step in too much of it but sometimes...
You live in a zoo?

Many of those poo's are good for the garden. Would you really want to put human poo on your garden? The bird's poo can be heavily contaminated with ecoli. Nasty staff.
Old 13-06-2015, 01:36   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Maybe the Tamar is "pristine" but I don't think the Huon is; considering the number of fish farms and thus the amount of feed and fish poo. There has to be several orders of magnitude between the fish/seal poo and human poo.

Not complaining though, the Huon is rather nice and there is plenty of pristine nearby
I've never heard of our Tamar being called 'pristine' it's one if the dirtiest rivers still in Tasmania. Vision depth is about 100mm. No simming is recommend year round in the upper reaches around Launceston.

I live in the Huon in the early 90's. There were no fish farms then. But the local Huonville tip in those days was right in the waters edge and this black sludge could be seen losing from the bank into the water like crude oil.
Old 13-06-2015, 01:48   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Wotname, that seems like a sensible set of regulations. Why can't the rest of the world accept this common sense approach? (that's a rhetorical question)
Yeah I know it's rhetorical but nevertheless, it is an interesting question.

Here is my WAG.

The rules in any area is very much dependant of the style of folk that live there.

A complicated set of distances and locations all science based isn't going to work in an overcrowded litigious society where everyone thinks only of their rights and freedoms. I can just see someone arguing they were 121 metres from wherever and the poo police saying, nope, it was 119 metres, see in court. This needs a simple solution like NDZ.

Around here I like to think that the poo police (if there are any) might say "Mate, you are getting a bit close to be discharging aren't you" and the sailor responding, "Yep you might be right - sorry - won't happen again" unless of course, one is clearly only say 20 metres away and then it would go like this: Poo police "Mate, you are way too close and here is the ticket" and the sailor responding "Fair cop".

Again I stress, this is a WAG.
Old 13-06-2015, 02:12   #73
med

Quote:
Poop ain't poop!

This is true. Also sewage treatment plants are unable to remove these residues, which is why treated sewage is having an adverse effect on the environment in some places.

However, in the Med, the biggest pollution comes from water run off from agricultural land which tends to be very rich in nitrates from fertilizer. These causes the excess of algae which we see from time to time.

Yachties' poop is pretty irrelevant in the overall scheme of things.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 03:14   #74

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
You live in a zoo?

Many of those poo's are good for the garden. Would you really want to put human poo on your garden? The bird's poo can be heavily contaminated with ecoli. Nasty staff.
'Dynamic Lifter' is human poo....
Old 13-06-2015, 03:25   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
'Dynamic Lifter' is human poo....
It is not it's chicken ****!

Am I alloud to say that on here it means something else to the yanks doesn't it? Or is that fanny?

Tags
holding tank, legal