Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 07:04   #76
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Dometic CFX 65W 12V Electric Powered Portable Cooler (Fridge Freezer)... Trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Don’t you think that your lack of interest and opinions here may cause industry exports to avoid this forum?
If you really want to no why industry experts like Cleave of Seafrost, Rob of Frigoboat US and others will no longer participate you should ask them. You have just seen on this thread two more John at Cold Ed marine and Rich of Technautics insulted while you fertilize the beginnings by ignoring out and out insults.
That last, I have no idea what it is supposed to mean.

I certainly have no "lack of interest here" and did not intend to insult anyone personally,

just expressing my perception of behaviour that I believe many if not most here consider off-putting and unprofessional.

We greatly appreciate all the technical assistance, would just be a lot more useful without the personal sniping at each other.

And ideally an objective resolution of those areas where you disagree, if that is possible.

But hey, carry on as you like, if the mods allow it,

certainly better than taking your toys and going home in a huff.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:23   #77

Re: Dometic CFX 65W 12V Electric Powered Portable Cooler (Fridge Freezer)... Trouble.

You guys are definitely passionate about your refrigeration. LOL. Hopefully I'll have more to report when the new one gets here.
Old 25-02-2019, 07:50   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
You guys are definitely passionate about your refrigeration. LOL. Hopefully I'll have more to report when the new one gets here.
Tell your wife we are all working hard to reduce her frustration.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:55   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Tell your wife we are all working hard to reduce her frustration.
Seriously... if the new one solves the problems, I still won't win -- because she'll be "waiting" for it to break or something. LOL.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:17   #80

@PetePetePete did you ever get to the bottom of this? Was it an issue with the power cord or was the unit faulty?
llbanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:40   #81

Boat: Beneteau 393 Oceanis

Finally got the dealer involved & they got the unit replaced after I provided a statement of my electro-mechanical credentials. It's been running issue-free on the same fuse about a year & a half.
The product is great! No question!! But the people at Dometic assigned to address the problem were complete idiots. They really had no idea how a refrigerator operates. I'm actually considering a second Dometic unit to work solely as a freezer, but I will be much more attentive to any start-up problems that may occur. I've owned numerous Dometic numerous products over the last 35+ years & this was the first problem I have experienced.
SV Xpensive Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:44   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gates View Post
Finally got the dealer involved & they got the unit replaced after I provided a statement of my electro-mechanical credentials. It's been running issue-free on the same fuse about a year & a half.

Were you having similar issues to PetePetePete (voltage drop when monitoring the CFX app)? I am experiencing the same issue he was having and am wondering if a new cord fixed his problem or if it was an issue with the unit.
llbanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 17:13   #83

Boat: Swan 432

A few questions on this subject.
1. Did Dometic put in writing that modifying their supplied power cord would NOT void the warranty?
2. When people here are advising wiring straight into the battery, are you not using fuses or circuit breakers?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 18:12   #84

Boat: Beneteau 393 Oceanis

The problem with my unit had nothing to do with the power cord. The problem was internal, within the refrigeration unit when cycling on. The unit pulled more than the designed amperage to re-start and blew the 8AMP slo-blo fuse.
Dometic's suggestion to cut the 12V plug off the end of the power cord and wire it direct to the battery would CLEARLY have given the unit no fuse or breaker protection. There would have been no evidence of a problem until something caught fire.
Again, Dometic replace dhte unit. The replacement has operated as advertised, trouble free.
SV Xpensive Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:08   #85

Boat: Swan 432

Question for those who use these to freeze ice in cubes or blocks. How long does it take to freeze a full load of water? I currently have a 20 year old Adler Barbour compressor that can only get the fridge to 50 degrees and it uses about 5 amps per hour. I like the idea of using a portable unit to freeze ice for my fridge and ice box.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, freezer