Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 08:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Dual vent on holding tank

Stick with Trident 101/102. Shields PolyX may have a "lifetime" warranty, but I tend to go with track record over claims. Trident 101 has been on the market for nearly 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure...more than twice as long as the Shields hose has been on the market. What's more, any qualified boatyard will confirm that the actual working lifetime of ANY hose--water, fuel, exhaust, waste--is 10 only years...after that you're living on borrowed time because rubber and plastic (nylon, flex pvc etc) dry out and become hard and brittle over time, which can result in connection failures. I recently read an article somewhere online about the meaning of "lifetime" in warranties...it's that industry's determination of the realistic working life of a product, not the owner's lifetime...which means Shields would have no problem claiming that "lifetime" means 10 years.

So save some money and go with the hose that has the best track record.

All that said, I'm keeping a close eye on Raritan's "new" sanitation hose, which is made in Italy and looks for all the world like the same hose that Vetus is also selling under their private label. I've never heard a single word--good OR bad--about Vetus hose, so I can't base an opinion on it, and Raritan hasn't had it on the market long enough to generate any feedback from users yet, except that it's a lot softer, and therefore easier to work with, than Trident 101/102. I will welcome feedback from users of it under either brand name.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:59   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Trident 101 has been on the market for nearly 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure
At 10yrs and 12yrs, respectively, I had to replace the Trident 101 on both of our head systems due to odor permeation.

I do not consider that unusual, though. I don't believe that I am the only one who has experienced Trident 101 permeation (and I know that I am not).

Solved the problem for good by re-plumbing with PVC. I don't understand using ungodly expensive head hose anymore - unless one has a very bendy boat or complex installation.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 18:18   #18

Boat: Hunter 460

Quote:
Stick with Trident 101/102.
I need to replace my sanitation hoses and am looking at Defender. They have two different Trident sanitation hoses, neither of which is designated as 101 or 102. Will I need to go someplace else or is one of the ones at Defender what I'm looking for?

Thanks.
Brian
txh2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 19:07   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh2oskier View Post
I need to replace my sanitation hoses and am looking at Defender. They have two different Trident sanitation hoses, neither of which is designated as 101 or 102. Will I need to go someplace else or is one of the ones at Defender what I'm looking for? Thanks.Brian
Go somewhere else. A google search turned up over a dozen sources for 101/102, including Amazon. Amazon's price is pretty good too, with free shipping if you're Prime member.
Old 07-09-2015, 19:23   #20

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
I need to replace my sanitation hoses and am looking at Defender. They have two different Trident sanitation hoses, neither of which is designated as 101 or 102. Will I need to go someplace else or is one of the ones at Defender what I'm looking for?

Thanks.
Brian

It shows that you're in Florida and this place is in Southern California. But that mail will get it there eventually and at $5.70 a foot you'll come out well ahead of most places.

- 101-1126 TRIDENT # 101 TRIDENT PREMIUM BLACK RUBBER SANITATION HOSE 1 1/2 x50 Coils | MMIMarine.com
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:04   #21

Quote:

Thanks.
Brian
I believe the Trident Sani Shield at defender is 101/102. If you look at the model numbers, they include 101 or 102 (101 for black, 102 for white if I'm not mistaken).

Also, it seems that fewer places have the 1" ID hose. Defender is the only one that I found that has it in stock.
asahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:46   #22
Marine Service Provider

I believe the Trident Sani Shield at defender is 101/102.

That's correct. Trident Marine: Sanitation Hose

However if you shop you should be able to find several sources for it in both black and while.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:16   #23

Quote:
I believe the Trident Sani Shield at defender is 101/102.

That's correct. Trident Marine: Sanitation Hose

However if you shop you should be able to find several sources for it in both black and while.
One caution about shopping around. Many places are selling the Shields 101 version for an attractive price, but advertising it as Trident 101. They will resist returns and tell you that Shields and Trident are the same company now (I think this is true) and selling the same products under different names (this is definitely not true).

There is a huge difference between the Shields 101 and Trident 101 - the Trident has more plies and is double the thickness.

So when shopping, specifically ask them to look on the hose they are sending you and tell you whether it says Trident or Shields on it. Also be sure to reach an agreement that you may send it back and get ALL your money returned if it is the wrong one.

For some reason, this problem seems widespread right now.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:25   #24

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

According to this page on Tridents web site. Trident and Shields Rubber are separate companies.

About Trident
Old 05-12-2015, 05:47   #25

Seems rather incestuous:

"Trident Rubber Inc. was founded by Bill Shields in 1985 in the Pittsburgh, PA area. This followed a hostile takeover of Shields Rubber Corporation, a third generation family business in which we owned the largest, but not controlling interest. Shields Rubber was a large industrial rubber and hose distributor with seven locations (two of which also specialized in marine hose). Five years after the take over, Shields Rubber was sold, and its marine hose division was spun off to Sierra Supply, then to Morse Controls, and then to Teleflex. They remain a competitor with no family connection."

So it looks like they were separate companies, then one took over the other, then sold it off, after which that company further spun off its marine division.

But it doesn't look like they are the same company now. Too bad some of the vendors don't understand this.

Mark

Old 05-12-2015, 07:43   #26
Marine Service Provider

So it looks like they were separate companies, then one took over the other, then sold it off, after which that company further spun off its marine division.

You have it backwards..and there's nothing "incestuous" about it. Trident and Shields have never been the same company, nor did one take over the other. Bill Shields started Trident Rubber after the Shields family lost Shields Rubber to investors in a hostile takeover.

Shields Rubber has been through several owners since then...Trident Rubber is, and has always been, a separate company headed by Bill Shields. Think of it as a divorce in which the former Mrs. Smith got the "Smith Company" and Mr. Smith started a new company with a different name.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:20   #27

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...I've always recommended a plain ol' bulkhead or mushroom thru-hull for two reasons...it allows a lot more air exchange and also lets you stick a hose nozzle up against it and back flush the vent line to prevent blockage...
This is a good way to rupture your holding tank or blow off a hose connection.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:51   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
This is a good way to rupture your holding tank or blow off a hose connection.
With a garden hose connected to dock water??? Any dock water that powerful would make it risky, if not impossible to wash a boat or fill your water tanks with it either!
Old 05-12-2015, 16:23   #29

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Generally, no yacht holding, fuel or water tank is built to withstand dock water pressure which, around here, is around 90 psi; they might withstand ~5 lbs. And, filling water tanks, you just let the water run in--you don't seal the end of the hose against the deck fill, ever.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 21:13   #30
Marine Service Provider

That's not typical... In 25 years I've never heard of a single problem back flushing a waste tank vent line.

Tags
holding tank